PDA

View Full Version : Need help on setting Amletto on Amazon EC2 Instances

sukardi
01-08-2014, 11:12 PM
Hi Guys,

Finally decided to give the Amazon EC2 instances a try for the render farm.

Have got so far as installing Lightwave and Amletto on the instances. My problem now is when I install the Amletto client on other instances, it is not able to detect the render server. I read that Amletto now has support for Amazon instances but I can find any instruction on how to go about it.

I read that some people have had some successes with setting up render farm with instances. Really could do with some help...

Thank you in advance for your help.

BeeVee
01-09-2014, 02:08 AM
I'm one of the people that got it running. :) I wrote a blog post here: http://beevee-notes.blogspot.com/2013/05/ec2-amleto-and-lightwave.html but it is just notes written after I had done the experiment and I would like to redo the experiment and really document the procedure.

You need to use the same AMI for the nodes as for the farmer, just on different base machines that will offer better capabilities for rendering. I will redo the procedure so I can better document it.

B

sukardi
01-09-2014, 02:23 AM
Thanks BeeVee,

I'll look into your notes...

sukardi
01-13-2014, 02:58 AM
Hi guys,

I have finally managed to get this running. Thanks BeeVee for the notes.

If anyone is interested, here are my notes

http://rendergeek.com/setting-up-amazon-ec2-render-farm-for-lightwave/

Thanks

BeeVee
01-13-2014, 10:44 AM
Glad you got it going! This is certainly going to be a good way to test out LightWave's 999 render nodes :D

B

LW_Will
01-15-2014, 12:06 AM
Hold it. There is a "Free Level", in which you can use Amazon EC2 free for a year...? Is that possible? If so, I want to check out the AEC2 power!

Please tell me if I am wrong...?

sukardi
01-15-2014, 12:09 AM
LW_Will,

Yes but it comes with terms and conditions. The microinstances they are giving for free are not suited for rendering but you can use it as the render server...

BeeVee
01-15-2014, 01:19 AM
Exactly. The virtual machine doesn't have much ram, nor hard drive space but it's enough to have LightWave as the render controller.

B

LW_Will
01-15-2014, 12:54 PM
So... you can use Lightwave ScreamerNet on AEC2 writing data back to... what? Dropbox? My system?

I've very interested in this setup. VERY interested...

BeeVee
01-15-2014, 02:33 PM
I wrote to Dropbox because it was the easiest to set up and I have enough space, but you can access a service similar to ftp for Amazon.

B