PDA

View Full Version : what will you use fluids mostly for?

erikals
01-08-2014, 07:55 PM
you get only one vote here, be honest...!

http://erikalstad.com/backup/misc.php_files/smile.gif

for fun = as a hobbyist
large sea simulations = http://youtu.be/_f585f2s50o
for smaller simulations = http://youtu.be/qDTakNGD7_I

jwiede
01-09-2014, 01:59 AM
There is no one fluid/liquid engine-type which can usefully cover all the usage case options you mentioned. Your choices omitted smoke/fire-type uses, also "fluids", so I gather from that omission that you were trying to confine the poll to liquids, is that correct? Even then, open ocean sims use a procedural wave-noise displacement engine type which is quite different internally from SPH-type small-scale liquid simulations' engine internals.

While RealFlow can do both small-scale SPH-type sims and "open ocean"-type sims, that's because it contains separate distinct engines to cover different usage cases (and those two genres require engines that are very different in nature internally).

What were you hoping to explore with this poll?

3DGFXStudios
01-09-2014, 03:07 AM

My question exactly.

Also, It all depends on the job. It's not that I can make up my own jobs so it's hard to answer where I would use it for.

-EsHrA-
01-09-2014, 03:27 AM
getting more jobs!

3DGFXStudios
01-09-2014, 03:33 AM
Oh good one! Then the answer for now would be fun! :D

erikals
01-09-2014, 07:17 AM

you somewhat answered it.

was curious to see what NT should focus on first, large-scale or small-scale water simulations.

also i had thought that more users would vote - "for fun"
if so, maybe they wouldn't mind too much to have lower quality simulations, like Blender fluids.

but would fluids with Blender quality be worth it? ...to me... nope!

i know Bullet is working on SPH fluids,
but the current quality is not good, though hopefully in alpha-state.

MarcusM
01-09-2014, 07:21 AM
"Fun" is in second and third answer but then you doing something useful ;]

erikals
01-09-2014, 07:33 AM
this would probably cost lots of cash, but maybe NT could look into it >
http://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?138766-SPH-fluid-simulations

3DGFXStudios
01-09-2014, 08:02 AM
That would be cool but I don't see that ever happening in LW

akaracquel
01-09-2014, 08:47 PM
Chocolate sims, for work.

50one
01-10-2014, 12:09 AM
Not sure what kind of outcome you expect from this poll, it's like asking what you're gonna use your new car for? Getting to work, getting to the store, cruising etc:)

erikals
01-10-2014, 01:26 AM
exactly! http://erikalstad.com/backup/misc.php_files/smile.gif

it'd be best using different kinds of cars...
so NT should build car number 3...

vncnt
01-10-2014, 01:53 AM
you somewhat answered it.

I could see the meaning of the poll and I think the poll results could be relevant for the LW software architects.
Unless they already know how important these 3 parts of the market are.

In the past Iīve used a large sea to visualize some elements of a rescue procedure but that production was very specific. How often do we need a large sea?

In my situation (flight safety related visuals) there is a lot more demand for Smoke and Fluid simulation.
At least: heavy smoke, thick black smoke, light white smoke, leaking fluids, vaporizing fluids.

It doesnīt have to be real but it should look real.
The kind of hyper-realistic reality caused by a large amount of details

And easy to manipulate.
With predictable parameters (not the type of parameters that cause complete chaos when changed for 1%).
Without the need of an extra mortgage.

vector
01-10-2014, 02:16 AM
Well, when you watch mograph demo reels you see smoke/liquid/fur (ey, FiberFX: Are you going to be stable someday?) as recurrent effects. I think this could be a nice area to fill by NT since they show a dedicated reel every time they can.

RF is too expensive for a freelancer, unless they start selling monthly licenses like Adobe or Autodesk. With a improved and stable Renderkit I know a few persons that would pay for that and one is typing this. Not sure NT is going to develope any fluids system so I think a not-so-expensive RF could be the best solution. I use Blender and sometimes it do the job but not the quality I hope.

vncnt
01-10-2014, 06:17 AM
RF is too expensive for a freelancer, unless they start selling monthly licenses like Adobe or Autodesk.
Even then, if you need to study for 3 months to get a result, the operating costs would be too high for most of the projects that a freelancer or a one-person-company could handle.

geo_n
01-10-2014, 06:50 AM
Lots and lots of asahi beer commercials with japanese and hollywood actors. ;)
They are not large scale sims and usually just splashes, flowing water going towards the screen, etc.

prometheus
01-10-2014, 04:16 PM
I would set the world on fire with fire,smoke and brimstone for fire fluids, for liquid fluids I would change body fluids over the net in a secure way:) apart for those obvious reasons, I could
think of
doing it for fun, doing it for work when applyable.

Create clouds,explosions,fire,smoke,dust,nebulas, oceans,waterfall, commercial liquids etc...so in my case, the question asked isnīt appliant to me, thus the answer becomes a general/global one.
Michael

jwiede
01-11-2014, 12:53 AM
Even then, if you need to study for 3 months to get a result, the operating costs would be too high for most of the projects that a freelancer or a one-person-company could handle.

That's the whole point of the RF Learning Edition license, so users can already be "up to speed" when the need for it commercially arrives. And it doesn't take 3 months to learn to use, it's not that difficult. It's just that setting up complex, photo-realistic sims is complex and requires a lot of effort -- if you know RF really well, you can reduce the effort a bit, but it'll still require a lot of effort anyway. Setting up complex, realistic particle work in any particle system is time-consuming, as RF offers much more than most "stock" particle systems, the deeper you want to go, the more you add to the setup.

erikals
01-11-2014, 03:59 AM
+ camera angles and seconds of shot plays a big role.