PDA

View Full Version : What were your mayor production BOTTLENECKS for your work in 2013?

robertoortiz
01-08-2014, 08:51 AM
Now that 2013 is gone I think it is a perfect time to to reflect on the effectiveness of the tools we use.

I am bringing back this threads because the tools we use are in a constant state of evolution.

So tell us what part of the process (modeling, rigging, lighting, animating, etc) become quick sands of your time.

Tell us what areas of the animation process are times are still stubbornly time intensive, and what you wish could be done to make the process more efficient.

I am looking forward to your comments. Of course, this being of course a Lightwave forum, what could Lightwave do to help with these bottlenecks.

Thanks

-Roberto

xchrisx
01-08-2014, 09:29 AM
Some of my biggest bottlenecks included of 2013 were:
1. Breaking out scenes into various types of custom render passes
2. Sometimes when copying and pasting motions/editing animation curves, not having an undo/only having 1 undo if I applied the wrong motion and thus having to reload the scene.
3. Having to manage the swapping out assets in a large number of scenes (i.e. not having a referencing system)

-Chris

Lewis
01-08-2014, 09:32 AM
1.Split app
2.Modeling slowness
3.Destructive workflow

ernpchan
01-08-2014, 10:13 AM
Slow Layout performance with heavy rigs. There was significant improvement with the latest build but seeing more improvement is always welcome, especially considering that people will be trying to do more character animation with Genoma and RH's tools.

Julez4001
01-08-2014, 12:00 PM
3. Having to manage the swapping out assets in a large number of scenes (i.e. not having a referencing system)

-Chris

Lightwave is the original referencing application.
Just take some origanization inf the file structure and same name structure.

Make three directories
(1) Original HD content (never use but as backup)
(2) Low res proxies
(3) Active - copy of 1 or 2 into this directory however your scene (.lws) constantly references.

hrgiger
01-08-2014, 12:49 PM
1. trying to eliminate noise in some of my radiosity renders.
2. endlessly adjusting fiberfx to come up with something workable.
3. split app
4. slow mesh handling in modeler

xchrisx
01-08-2014, 03:07 PM
Lightwave is the original referencing application.
Just take some origanization inf the file structure and same name structure.

Make three directories
(1) Original HD content (never use but as backup)
(2) Low res proxies
(3) Active - copy of 1 or 2 into this directory however your scene (.lws) constantly references.

What I meant is that when you need to make modeling changes to a lot of the objects and that you actually need to keep track of what versions are used in what scenes (in case you have to revisit an older version). Also when new objects get added to an environment and you need those propagated to different scenes. It would have been much simpler if I could make an entire environment in one scene (that could get updated) then have it get updated in all of my other scenes. This is what i meant as far as swapping out assets, sorry for not clarifying it.

raw-m
01-08-2014, 03:26 PM
Opening windows, closing windows, loosing windows, closing windows, opening windows, having to manually open up the SE window when loading a scene (what's so special about it can't open in the state it was left!), windows windows windows..... Please, a unified UI!

COBRASoft
01-08-2014, 07:22 PM
- Time :)

erikals
01-08-2014, 07:36 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tRu_R3RubYI#t=4m47s