PDA

View Full Version : So, now we've got a Plugin Database on the LW website...

pinkmouse
01-07-2014, 06:39 PM
...How about a compound node database?

There are lots of good nodal solutions for just about everything generously posted on the forums, but quite often they get buried with time. It would be nice if LW3DG could host a database of compound nodes using user supplied content, perhaps even using the next Facebook compo to get things rolling. rather than yet another render challenge, how about prizes for the best network? It would be great publicity, I suspect many non-'wavers have little comprehension of the abilities of nodal editing in LW, and a good selection of pre-built nodes would help many newbies get off the ground.

Opinions?

Doctor49152
01-07-2014, 10:19 PM
I love that idea but I'm afraid they'd let it rot like they are letting the plugin database.

JohnMarchant
01-07-2014, 10:25 PM
Agreed Doctor, its not the database its who is going to keep it up to date. We now have these great plugins from 3Powers and still not mentioned in the database, some plugins have been updated, some have disappeared and there are new ones out there. The DB and any additions need someone to regularly check it and update as necessary.

I would love to see Nodes and Presets included, but until the plugins DB is sorted out there is probably no point. Its allot of work to do.

prometheus
01-08-2014, 04:51 AM
Agreed Doctor, its not the database its who is going to keep it up to date. We now have these great plugins from 3Powers and still not mentioned in the database, some plugins have been updated, some have disappeared and there are new ones out there. The DB and any additions need someone to regularly check it and update as necessary.

I would love to see Nodes and Presets included, but until the plugins DB is sorted out there is probably no point. Its allot of work to do.

So what is enough in time rate for the updates they are supposed to do, to maintain the database?
october the 21 since the last update, not sure really if that is to old, aprox 2 months and a a couple of weeks, if it goes to 4 or 5 months I would start to complain though, also christmas time this last month etc, and maybe they
are just about to do a new year update of the database, with inclusion of the new metamesh tools etc.

I would also like to see the preset central migrate to the lightwave3d main site, what they could do meanwhile ..and if that doesnīt happen, why isnīt presetcentral presented and linked under community/assets-presets?
They could in a snap just edit the page and add a link to that, must look unprofessionall when newbies are looking for presets and canīt find them, unless browsing the forums first.

Michael

JohnMarchant
01-08-2014, 05:44 AM
Agreed Michael, a couple of months for updates but it will take that time to trawl through the usual plugin makers to keep up with any updates. We as a community can help, if we discover any that might not be know about then we need to have a way to inform the DB admins. Its surprising what you can find especially on non English speaking sites, ive found many Japanese plugin makers ive never heard of before, Google translate helped allot there.

It would also be good as a community if we can encourage plugin developers to update their plugins to work with more current versions of LW, if they still use it. Maybe to release the code to the community to keep it updated by some others.

prometheus
01-08-2014, 05:50 AM
Agreed Michael, a couple of months for updates but it will take that time to trawl through the usual plugin makers to keep up with any updates. We as a community can help, if we discover any that might not be know about then we need to have a way to inform the DB admins. Its surprising what you can find especially on non English speaking sites, ive found many Japanese plugin makers ive never heard of before, Google translate helped allot there.

It would also be good as a community if we can encourage plugin developers to update their plugins to work with more current versions of LW, if they still use it. Maybe to release the code to the community to keep it updated by some others.

Indeed, maybe they should put up a mail adress on the lightwave plugin asset page, that goes to whomever they appoint as content or plugin manager, so that person simply have a mailbox to check for tips of new plugins, maybe a special note
included on the page encouraging plugin developers to actually send a note about their plugin themself, like 3dpowers could have done, and maybe have done, though I really think it is on itīs way.

JohnMarchant
01-08-2014, 06:24 AM
Sounds good Michael, hope LWG3D are listening :):):)

digitalimagery
01-08-2014, 09:13 AM
OMG that would be huge - cause I am a newbie. Self taught too which makes it even more valuable.

Please oh please oh please!
DI

jeric_synergy
01-08-2014, 09:36 AM
Indeed, maybe they should put up a mail adress on the lightwave plugin asset page, that goes to whomever they appoint as content or plugin manager, so that person simply have a mailbox to check for tips of new plugins, maybe a special note included on the page encouraging plugin developers to actually send a note about their plugin themself, like 3dpowers could have done, and maybe have done, though I really think it is on itīs way.
In my oft-referenced never implemented staff position of Dynamic Documentation Manager, this would be one of the regular tasks.

*the staffer assigned to : maintain & improve the PDF dox, keep the plugin database up to date, and generally keep on top of the buzz. Verging on social media mgr, nowadays.