PDA

View Full Version : TriCaster 855 Crashing - Possible Solution

Pathwayssevier
01-07-2014, 04:21 PM
Scenario:
We have been having the problems for months where the TriCaster 855 would randomly crash during operation or would lock up upon boot and stay on a black screen. We found that if we hit CTRL + ALT + DEL then hit cancel the software would boot. After the TriCaster software booted we would then still have glitching issues. Then we would exit to windows and relaunch the TriCaster and it would run stable for a few hours before crashing again.

Solution:
After checking hardware meticulously we decided to check the scheduled task manager.
If a task is scheduled (in this case for login) you will see an option that says "configure for:"
The drop down menu was selected for "Windows Vista".
We changed this setting to "Windows 7" which is what the TriCaster is running, applied the changes and restarted.

The TriCaster booted the next time perfectly with no delays and appears to be working great! In fact, our TriCaster has been running since 1pm Sunday afternoon with STILLS looping and Videos in DDRS also looping without any crashing (yes we also tried recording). This has been a recent event but I wanted to pass this along in case someone else was having similar problems.

JPulera
01-08-2014, 02:06 PM
The simplest course of action for a TriCaster that is acting flaky is to do a RESTORE (12 minutes) and then also install the latest software update download from Newtek. Cures a multitude of ills in minutes.

Thanks

Jeff Pulera
Safe Harbor Computers

Pathwayssevier
01-09-2014, 09:38 PM
The simplest course of action for a TriCaster that is acting flaky is to do a RESTORE (12 minutes) and then also install the latest software update download from Newtek. Cures a multitude of ills in minutes.

Thanks

Jeff Pulera
Safe Harbor Computers

We did the restore a multitude of times, had support from newtek and the dealer we purchased through and continued to have problems. This setting was configured incorrectly even after a factory restore. That is why this was such a shock when discovered.

Koinonia
01-12-2014, 07:20 AM
One similar problem that I found in my 460 was that after a time not beeing used, like going to lunch and going back it seems that Tricaster was freezed, taking almost a minute to be able to use it again.
Trying to find the problem I noticed in Device Manager that the Tricaster Card was with the power management feature allowed to save power. After disabling this feature I never had this problem again.

Pathwayssevier
01-12-2014, 09:46 AM
One similar problem that I found in my 460 was that after a time not beeing used, like going to lunch and going back it seems that Tricaster was freezed, taking almost a minute to be able to use it again.
Trying to find the problem I noticed in Device Manager that the Tricaster Card was with the power management feature allowed to save power. After disabling this feature I never had this problem again.

Well, the TriCaster was running like a champ and of course failed during 1st service this morning. We looked at temperatures of hardware in between services and Video card was reading over 100 degrees (which the stats say max is 100). When we opened the front cover, the temperature began dropping down to 93 degrees (the cards minimum). Anyone seen this happen? I didn't realize the cover would prevent the air from properly escaping.

Pathwayssevier
01-12-2014, 03:49 PM
Well, the TriCaster was running like a champ and of course failed during 1st service this morning. We looked at temperatures of hardware in between services and Video card was reading over 100 degrees (which the stats say max is 100). When we opened the front cover, the temperature began dropping down to 93 degrees (the cards minimum). Anyone seen this happen? I didn't realize the cover would prevent the air from properly escaping.

Never mind. The temp was not our issue - the stats were misread. Not sure what is happening and running out of ideas.

SBowie
01-12-2014, 05:42 PM
Not sure what is happening and running out of ideas.Have you taken a look at the state of your drives? Also, have CS asked for details of your UPS?

Pathwayssevier
01-16-2014, 07:57 AM
Have you taken a look at the state of your drives? Also, have CS asked for details of your UPS?

Okay so after examining drives and other hardware (UPS are working and able to handle load of TriCaster). But what we did realize, is that our software build appears to have a problem where when within the TC UI when we try to 'update tricaster' it was not seeing any new builds and simply saying our system was up to date. When in fact many of our symptoms were all listed as bug fixes across several TC updates posted on newtek's support page.

I downloaded the latest update on a separate machine and set the TriCaster 855 back to factory default. Once the Tricaster launched before doing anything else, I clicked 'update tricaster' to see what it would do. This time it showed all the currently listed updates. So, as stated I think there may have been a glitch or something in our previous build that wasn't allowing tricaster to find new updates / recognize it was out of date.

After installing the latest build, our system has ran problem free for three days so far (boots properly, no glitch on secondary monitor, more responsive, iVGA is performing better and hopefully no crashing for a long long time).

LESSON LEARNED: double check support page from normal browser or another machine to see if there are any updates in future. Anyone know if newtek has a way to notify when they post updates, now I'm paranoid and manually checking every day. Lol

JPulera
01-16-2014, 08:57 AM
Maybe Steve can answer this one - I've never had auto-update work on any TriCaster I've used, ALWAYS says software is up to date, so I've always had to update manually. But then I've also read that if the latest software is a "release candidate" then auto-update may not see it. But I don't recall seeing "Release Candidate" or "Beta" on any of the TriCaster software downloads...so what's the story?

And sorry about the Restore comment, but I do a LOT of tech support at work and on various forums and it surprises me how much time some people will spend (days, weeks) fighting an issue when all they need is a reinstall or driver update that would take a few minutes really and solve the problem (not TC necessarily, I support NLE systems a lot in general). There are a fair number of TC users who are not computer literate and their employer puts them in charge of running the TriCaster and they may not have a clue about the Restore option even being there. Obviously you know what you're doing, but as you hadn't originally mentioned that "it still failed after a restore" I had to throw that out there ;-)

So for anyone reading this whose TC is suddenly behaving badly, consider a quick Restore before spending too much time fighting it, just might clear everything up.

Regards,

Jeff Pulera
Safe Harbor

SBowie
01-16-2014, 10:59 AM
(UPS are working and able to handle load of TriCaster).Sorry to say, but "working'" and of suitable capacity does not ensure compatibility. The wrong UPS type can sometimes crash a TriCaster (or other computer). There are details in the manual.

Maybe Steve can answer this one - I've never had auto-update work on any TriCaster I've used, ALWAYS says software is up to date, so I've always had to update manually.On updating, let me refer you to this post: http://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?116315-Updating-TriCaster

Pathwayssevier
01-20-2014, 04:18 PM
Sorry to say, but "working'" and of suitable capacity does not ensure compatibility. The wrong UPS type can sometimes crash a TriCaster (or other computer). There are details in the manual.

TriCaster crashed again Sunday during second service. We are running two APC XS-1500 's (one on each power supply). These units came up when I searched for pure sine wave backup but I cant see anywhere, where this is specifically mentioned.

kanep
01-20-2014, 05:53 PM
Took a look at APC site, they have this model listed as

Waveform Type = Stepped approximation to a sinewave

I'm pretty sure this is not a True or Pure Sinewave unit, but the 'modified or 'square' sinewave (or any other term they come up with when it isn't True or Pure sinewave).

Here is what the difference looks like between the two. Just for references the power company electricity is True or Pure sinewave and that is what ALL electronic equipment is designed to work with.

SBowie
01-20-2014, 06:05 PM
This is not to say absolutely that this is what is causing your problem - but it has been responsible for similar reports in the past.

kanep
01-20-2014, 06:57 PM
Generally, a good way to test is to disconnect from the UPS and go directly into the wall power to see if your problems disappear.

Pathwayssevier
01-20-2014, 08:20 PM
Generally, a good way to test is to disconnect from the UPS and go directly into the wall power to see if your problems disappear.

We were having similar crashes prior to using the APC's (but we were running older build).

The crashes that are happening seem extremely random. Sadly we can't seem to get the system to fail until we're in an actual production (we put system under same conditions that exist during live production).

Is there any other testing measures we should consider to try and find our source of the problem? We are non-profit so sending the unit out for what be an expensive repair is a big deal, especially since this is not a consistent issue. For example, we have literally had the TC run for 36 hours with content playing and on & off recording with no issues. Then at other times it doesn't stay online for 2-3 hours.

SBowie
01-21-2014, 05:19 AM
For example, we have literally had the TC run for 36 hours with content playing and on & off recording with no issues.In testing, they run under load continuously for months. However hard to isolate, this does seem to suggest some variable present during your production, doesn't it? A copy of the log file from immediately after such a crash might help.

kltv
01-21-2014, 10:43 AM
I'd swap out those UPSs for true sine wave ones. From personal experience, I can tell you that a stepped-approximation is not good enough and if you take a power hit, they will not keep the TriCaster up and running. It needs the real deal. If there is a chance that during a real service, there are more intense power needs happening around the building, like lighting or music-performance gear in play, there could be a difference there. If you can, replace one of those UPSs with a better one for testing purposes.

Kris