PDA

View Full Version : keyframable linking in lw

cresshead
11-17-2003, 07:18 PM
how how would you go about linking a ball to the hand of a character so he can pick it up and throw it?

i need to be unlinked before he picks it up
linked as he handels it
unlinked as he throws it away

i come from max background and i'm looking for a link constrainnnt if lw has one...

or whatever lw has to do these tasks

steve g

hrgiger
11-17-2003, 07:27 PM
Are you talking about dynamic parenting Steve?

Well, there is a a modifier in the motion options panel called parenter, it will allow you to do dynamic parenting. I've had mixed results with it but you can give it a try and see if it suits your needs.

You can also do it through expressions. Dan Ablan has an example of this in Inside Lightwave 7 about switching the parents for an arrow from the bow that shoots it to the target that receives it.

Worley labs also has a plug-in in their Polk collection called parent that also does this.

cresshead
11-17-2003, 07:57 PM
thanks for the promt reply!...i was struggling on that one!

well that's weird!...

your right of course but parenter is not loaded by default when you install lightwave..i wonder how many plugins that are sitting in the various plugins folders have to be manually added?

it works fine i my small test scene [2 balls...]
so cheers for that!

i'll take a look thru all the plugin folder and see what's in there to get an idea that i may need to load the plugins in...by hand.

steve g

hrgiger
11-17-2003, 10:55 PM
Hmm, that's weird. My parenter was installed by default. I had a friend who said his wasn't loaded by default, along with some of the displacement plug-ins on the properties panel (things like intertia). He is on a Mac and I assumed that was the difference as I'm on a pc but it could be something else entirely.:confused: