PDA

View Full Version : CG Image Import banding

dlsutton
11-17-2003, 06:48 PM
I have seen mulitple images now which display perfectly well in Aura, a DDR, or even the AE framebuffer through the VT3, but once imported into CG show unacceptable banding in the gradients of the image.

I have tried multiple image formats into CG and it doesn't appear to make a difference.

Any idea what is happening here?

Dave Sutton
-Binary Planet-

tfrank
11-18-2003, 09:23 AM
I need to ask a "stupid" question. Do you notice this banding on a computer monitor on the toaster or on a CRT output monitor? You can't trust anything you see on a computer monitor.

dlsutton
11-18-2003, 09:36 AM
No stupid questions....

It shows up on both.

-Dave

tfrank
11-18-2003, 10:15 AM
I've noticed a similar "banding" on our VT2 when I do more complex shadowing and gradients on another graphics platform and bring them into Toaster. I always chocked it up to the poor quality of Toaster CG. If I bring those same graphics into the timeline as .tga files, they look great! So that's what I've ended up doing. If it's simple, I use Toaster CG, if it's complex I just bring them direct up on the timeline.

dlsutton
11-18-2003, 10:39 AM
Unfortunately these are pieces of a background that I am needing for a CG Page. I have tried TGA too - no difference in the CG import.

I don't want or need a TED project, so I guess I was hoping there was some workaround/preference settings that would help. I'm working on templates that will be used by another toaster group and the thought of forcing them to use other tools for simple text creation over the template I build won't set well... It's for CG that will be live switched...

Thanks for the advice though.... that was my first inclination too. I would hate to think that this isn't fixable :)

-Dave

Dan Hong
11-20-2003, 01:13 PM
I wouldn't swear to it, but I think VT[3] handles complex files way better. There's no dot crawl like we used to have and everything is working much faster. If you're creating files in another program, why don't you just create the whole file there. VTedit and the DSK will read png and tga files with the alpha intact, I do it all the time.

dlsutton
11-20-2003, 02:06 PM
Hi Dan,

I'm using Vt3 so I'm not sure about the comment there. These are CG templates that I am creating for others to use on a weekly basis to update information inside CG. They don't have access to the tools that I am using on the templates and it would be overkill for what they need to do.

Seems to me like this is a bug, and according to some of my replies has been here since T2. I would sure like to see it fixed.

Thanks for the response though.

-Dave

SBowie
11-21-2003, 06:27 AM
If it's not a lot to ask, I'd like to see one of the files that causes a problem. Any chance you could zip one up and e-mail it?

dlsutton
11-21-2003, 07:04 AM
Sure!

On its way to you now.

Thanks.
-Dave