PDA

View Full Version : Pencil Holder designed for 3D printing using LWCAD

chippwalters
01-05-2014, 03:25 AM
Just finished another screen recording of me creating a pencil cup. This would have been much harder to create in FormZ but was a breeze in LW-Modeler. Video below.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/3788438/LightwavePublic/PencilHolder.png

http://youtu.be/xrGNkhq8PGk

djwaterman
01-05-2014, 04:09 AM
I guess you're re-uploading or something.

chippwalters
01-05-2014, 04:16 AM
Yep, sorry. It's up now.

prometheus
01-05-2014, 10:14 AM
You only need the bottom circle with thickness and upper frame circle, and maybe two beams going up and connecting them, that should be enough for pencil storage and you donīt have to waste plastic material just to showcase a framing of holes:) Just my thoughts on the design and saving material and making it cheaper and faster to print..and faster to model too, but take that with a grind of salt, Im a picky bast(censored) it wouldnīt be half that
interesting to showcase as modeling tute if there wasnīt some more detail in there.

Anyway..thanks for sharing the clip chippwalters, always interesting to see different techniques, I think you could do that quite easy with native tools though.
You did a render with smoothing on, but that isnīt how it will be printed unless metaforming it to a higher resolution, did you actually print the pencil holder?
Your video quality is looking good and the music tolerable, as long as you donīt speak, in such case I want only to hear your voice for the lesson:)

Michael

chippwalters
01-05-2014, 01:31 PM
You only need the bottom circle with thickness and upper frame circle, and maybe two beams going up and connecting them, that should be enough for pencil storage and you donīt have to waste plastic material just to showcase a framing of holes:) Just my thoughts on the design and saving material and making it cheaper and faster to print..and faster to model too, but take that with a grind of salt, Im a picky bast(censored) it wouldnīt be half that
interesting to showcase as modeling tute if there wasnīt some more detail in there.Michael

You're a funny guy ;-) Of course you realize I'm just trying to 'learn' how best to create objects-- objects in particular which are hard to create in apps like FormZ (I wonder how SolidWorks does this?). I spent a lot of time trying to use that Voronoi Fracture plugin-- and another Voronoi plugin, but they were just too problematic. Need to find a better way to create Voronoi slices...

Anyway..thanks for sharing the clip chippwalters, always interesting to see different techniques, I think you could do that quite easy with native tools though.
You did a render with smoothing on, but that isnīt how it will be printed unless metaforming it to a higher resolution, did you actually print the pencil holder?
Your video quality is looking good and the music tolerable, as long as you donīt speak, in such case I want only to hear your voice for the lesson:)

Michael

Yes, I also did one where instead of doing a DRILL through a large poly with metaformed polysets, I instead 'threw away the holes' and kept the beveled structure. This made is Sub-D compatible and I was able to create a different version even quicker using Sub-Ds-- though the sides were a little "pillowed" -- need to do 2 bevels and not just one-- though then the holes aren't as soft...

And yes, I did print it. Here's a pic. 64 sides is just fine for this size of cup (It's sitting on a 4"x4" tile). And I agree, when I get more confidence with what I'm doing-- I'll add voice.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/3788438/LightwavePublic/PencilHolderPrint.jpg

chippwalters
01-05-2014, 01:42 PM
FWIW, Here's the Sub-D version.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/3788438/LightwavePublic/PencilCup2.jpg

prometheus
01-05-2014, 02:26 PM
Nice chipp..

You might want to check topmod, If you havent already, itīs nice to do truss and webbing meshes...and topmod is free, some errors and crashes might occour if not used right, but might come in handy for some nice designs.
I like this sort of webbing meshes or truss work, I think it would be awesome to do lamp cages etc, maybe apply some rice paper on top of the cage, then have a nice lamp inside, I would like to do some designs of that and print when
I can afford a printer.
heres topmod..
http://code.google.com/p/topmod/
And please check these images from topmod...
https://www.google.se/search?hl=sv&site=imghp&tbm=isch&source=hp&biw=1760&bih=829&q=topmod&oq=topmod&gs_l=img.3..0l2j0i10j0j0i10l2j0l3.480.1433.0.1816. 6.6.0.0.0.0.101.550.5j1.6.0....0...1ac.1.32.img..0 .6.548.Kf6qU5kw_Ss

You can export out premade simple shapes from lightwave to obj format and continue to remesh them in topmod if you want.

Michael

chippwalters
01-05-2014, 02:34 PM
Woah! I never even heard of topmod. Looks very promising. Thanks a lot for sharing. Damn, now I lost my Sunday afternoon.

spherical
01-05-2014, 02:41 PM
FWIW, Here's the Sub-D version.

I like this design better but, unless your slicer does bridging really well and the printer likes it. I'd wager that those long horizontals are going to be problematic without using any support.

chippwalters
01-05-2014, 04:01 PM
Yep, you're right. The Afinia can do some bridging, esp on fast print, but these may be too long.

prometheus
01-05-2014, 04:05 PM
Woah! I never even heard of topmod. Looks very promising. Thanks a lot for sharing. Damn, now I lost my Sunday afternoon.
Its fun, I usually donīt use it much though, but if I had a printer I would.

Hereīs a quick dummy pdf (check the attachment) I just whipped up for you guys, just basic start with soccerball geometry, then enter wireframe mode, then performing remeshing,and also a simple customize of the UI to have the remesh tools active for faster acess.
Check the pdf with images and description.

shortcuts to take notes of are.
ALT-right mouse button=zoom
ALT-middle mouse button=pan
ALT-left mouse button=rotate

CTRL-W=wireframe modeling mode
CTRL-R=perform remeshing.
"o" to bring up the tool options if it is lost.

topmod can read lightwave objects exported in obj format, and topmod can export stl format, you might want to evaluate the mesh in lightwave perhaps with its tool once exported as stl.

Michael

prometheus
01-05-2014, 04:28 PM
In lightwave a simple box with 5 segment divisions on the y-axis, then used the twist deformer to make a turning torso, exported as obj.
In topmod open obj, select wireframe-create wireframe, then remeshed with do-sabin twice, for printing I suspect you need to remesh it a little more,maybe three or four times for proper resolution.
Might work as a pencil holder too:)

119085 119086

Michael

chippwalters
01-05-2014, 05:13 PM
Thanks a lot for the notes and PDF. I've spent some time this afternoon reading up and viewing tutorials. Hopefully I can knock something out and print it tonight!

prometheus
01-05-2014, 05:35 PM
Thanks a lot for the notes and PDF. I've spent some time this afternoon reading up and viewing tutorials. Hopefully I can knock something out and print it tonight!

Good luck, Ivé just been spending some time both with topmod and lightwave for some testing of it, making tubes with px_bezier, using simple shapes like a hollow disc, twisted and subdivided or use a torus and twist it, send
to topmod for creating the wireframe.

beware of that topmod doesnīt seem to have been updated for a while, and when you perform 4 or more remeshing with sabin (metaform style) topmod takes some time to do that, you could for example just make geometry in
lightwave and then perform the wireframe in topmod, export out back to obj and load in lightwave modeler and do subdivide metaform in there which actually seems faster, if you want sharper forms, subdivide first with facet, then again with metaform.

I also have to figure out how to create those advanced forms directly in topmod.

Michael

chippwalters
01-05-2014, 06:13 PM
Thanks Michael.

You should great a topmod thread and post your designs and techniques. I bet it's popular with all the 3D printing crowd. Might even bring more people to LightWave.

-Chipp

erikals
01-05-2014, 08:24 PM
Nice! http://erikalstad.com/backup/misc.php_files/smile.gif

now, dip it in Acetone! http://erikalstad.com/backup/misc.php_files/047.gif

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uBgVFn7DZCs

chippwalters
01-05-2014, 09:05 PM
Thanks. Not a big fan of the acetone vapor treatment as it changes the dimensions of the final part. And, for the most part, I'm usually trying to create accurate parts that fit together, like a nut and a bolt. It does make things look smoother, but it also kills some of the detail-- sorta 'melts' the part.

spherical
01-05-2014, 09:11 PM
That's exactly what it's doing; dissolves it. I paint acetone onto areas where I want some smoothing and leave areas where I want detail untouched. There's also tetrahydrofuran that will do the same to PLA. Isn't as active as acetone is on ABS.

chippwalters
01-05-2014, 11:27 PM
I enjoed playing around with TopMod, but Michael, you are correct-- finish work needs to be in LW. Here's a quicky model of an eastern product shrine which I built then printed out. I used the acetone vapor to make it smooth then painted it with automotive metallic paint, then had a professional photographer set it up in a photo studio and shot it with a Hasselblad V-Series model 203FE.

Or... maybe I just rendered the OBJ in Keyshot... :-)

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/3788438/LightwavePublic/TopMod.55.jpg

prometheus
01-06-2014, 01:19 PM
I enjoed playing around with TopMod, but Michael, you are correct-- finish work needs to be in LW. Here's a quicky model of an eastern product shrine which I built then printed out. I used the acetone vapor to make it smooth then painted it with automotive metallic paint, then had a professional photographer set it up in a photo studio and shot it with a Hasselblad V-Series model 203FE.

Or... maybe I just rendered the OBJ in Keyshot... :-)

nice Render chipp..and I think Ill put a bitcoin on it being a keyshot render, keyshot does these kind of things very nicely, and it also has very nice materials behaving physicly correct.

Lightwave has with thicken made it somewhat easier to do some cool organic or special object creation after bevel insetting certain shapes and use thickener on it, however it doesnīt remesh as good as topmod on corners.

In top mod Add handle in shape interpolation is cool and can create cool extruded bridges, would be nice to have something like that in Lightwave, we do have some different bridge tools bezier bridge etc, but itīs not the same workflow..a combination
of bezier bridge tools and the type of shape interpolation tool in topmod would be sweet, I have an idea of how you simply could draw out lines, even multilines through geometry sections..and a bridge tool that once activated makes a bridge interpolation
based on the best match from those lines, I have to post that in new features section.

I recall truespace having a nice extrude function, you could pick a poly section and run a macro extrude based on paths, it was actually easier than anything Ivé seen in lightwave up till today...Uhmm..with the exception for Px_bezier curve maybe.

I just saw a tutorial for wings modeler with some advanced shape creation, and it has this function of selecting identical, you could pick a poly on one side of the geometry, and if it has a similar poly on the other sides, it will pick them in one go, or use that on points or edges and do the same, that is a workflow saver.

This twisted sister shape I just came up with fiddling in lightwave and starting with a box, selected the points on the edges of the box and did a chamfer, then bevel inset the hole geometry, deleting the inset surfaces, then metaform, then thicken, then taper and a little stretch, and finally a twist deform, all in lightwave.

Michael