PDA

View Full Version : Modeling the human brain and and the inside of the stomach.

Digital Hermit
01-03-2014, 08:06 PM
Hello,

I need to model the human brain and the inside of the stomach (with all its wrinkles) for a friend of mine teaching a biology course. Any advice on how to approach this with current LW tools?

Also, I have been trying to use Z-Brush but I am so behind the curve with that program. I was wondering if 3D Coat (I do not have that program, currently) could do the job as well. If it can, would there be a heavy learning curve in using it?

Thanks!

BigHache
01-03-2014, 09:35 PM
I just picked up 3D Coat during their Christmas sale. It has QUITE a bit of tools and will have a bit of learning curve for all it's nuances. Or, like most programs, you can learn a few tools that get you through and be happy there. I have not used ZBrush but I would not imagine either is easier than the other.

Z-Brush and 3D Coat have some tools that overlap. Both programs can get you there. For whichever you choose, I would suggest watching some videos on YouTube and try to get a base for getting started with some of the basic tools.

I could probably model a brain with subd's. Sculpting will get more detail easier and easier for the stomach. You could even start with some low poly geometry in Modeler and take that into the sculpting program.

Like many tasks it will really depend on what tool you're comfortable with or what tool you desire to get comfortable with.

jeric_synergy
01-04-2014, 11:22 AM
If this is a bit of "one-off", I suggest grabbing FREE Sculptris. Maybe rough out the shape in LWM, export as OBJ and import into Sculptris, add the signature convolutions. Read the current Sculptris thread to see pitfalls in importing into Sculptris.

OTOH, if you've already inve$ted in zbrush, now's the opportunity to learn it!

bazsa73
01-04-2014, 01:10 PM
Zbrush is the ideal tool for it.
Here is a few guides:
-Add a zsphere from the tools, the red ball
-go into edit mode (T)
-on the tools menu look for ZSketch
-click EditZsketch
-set your brush size
-in the brush menu set the Depth on the black line, you will see
now you can draw the brain. Hit 'A' to see the adaptive mesh

lertola2
01-04-2014, 02:25 PM
I do agree that zbrush is a great tool for modeling an object like the brain. I think 3dcoat and zbrush are about equal on modeling tasks like this. But a brain is a complex shape that will take time to model convincingly. Instead of re inventing the wheel you could buy a brain model from turbosquid.com or 3dcadbrowser.com. I usually buy models when I can if they are not to expensive.

jeric_synergy
01-04-2014, 03:11 PM
lertola's suggestion reminds me of an engineering story: first day on the job, a larval engineer is assigned a bearing design. After 3 days he proudly shows it to his boss. His boss leans back, grabs a catalog, and shows him the identical unit available off-the-shelf, and found in 30 seconds.

Universal bits like skeletons and organs are probably best NOT modeled, but purchased, except for learning purposes. I dread having to model a heart.

XswampyX
01-04-2014, 04:02 PM
Just a thought .....

http://youtu.be/elu7X60I0_A

Digital Hermit
01-04-2014, 05:07 PM
I might look at turbo-squid if it comes to crunch time for the brain.

About creating the stomach with wrinkles inside... I am thinking you would create an outside stomach model, duplicate it and reduce the size a bit.
Then working on the second I would "indent" the shape on the outside with wrinkles, then put the wrinkled part inside the smooth outside part.

My original idea was to create the stomach in modeler, thicken it, import that model into Z brush. But I think you can see the problems I would run into doing that, but of course I could be missing something. :D

EDIT: Oh thanks Swampy, that process opens up whole new possibilities. I am also thinking small intestines as well. Can you save that model out as a mesh, or do you have to keep thickness settings at that level?

XswampyX
01-04-2014, 05:14 PM
I don't know? - will have a look....

inkpen3d
01-05-2014, 06:59 AM
At the risk of sounding ghoulish, here's a free source of human body parts (in obj format): http://www.msvtk.org/content/example-71-bodyparts3d ;)

You may have to spend some time assembling the relevant bits and pieces (Dr Frankenstein), but that's a small price to pay for free stuff!

Hope that helps.

Peter (aka Igor - friendly lab assistant for hire: experienced in human anatomy, working with high voltage sources a speciality)

jeric_synergy
01-05-2014, 10:19 AM
Good one! :thumbsup:

+++
Update: danged if I can fathom that website-- it has a bad case of "academese".

spherical
01-05-2014, 09:42 PM
At the risk of sounding ghoulish, here's a free source of human body parts (in obj format): http://www.msvtk.org/content/example-71-bodyparts3d ;)

Hope that helps.

Peter (aka Igor - friendly lab assistant for hire: experienced in human anatomy, working with high voltage sources a speciality)

That's Eyegore...! :)

prometheus
01-08-2014, 05:00 AM
Xswampy is cheating, thatīs not a modeling solution:) but he shows brilliant solutions, Thanks Xswampy.

I do recall a tutorial about creating a brain in lightwave, not sure if it was a movie clip or something else, I also think he started out with maybe illustrator traced images from the brain and then imported to lightwave for connecting and extruding geometry.
Just a thought, drawing out a couple of bezier spline paths with px bezier, you can save those paths, and then reload and use tube, or belt etc, so you can mix different layers of "brain tubes"
I would probably use point normal move to inflate the brain tubes:)

Michael

inkpen3d
01-08-2014, 05:46 AM
Good one! :thumbsup:

+++
Update: danged if I can fathom that website-- it has a bad case of "academese".

Alas, down the centuries the scientific community, and in particular the medical profession, has chosen to obfuscate everything in Latin and jargon making it largely inaccessible to the general public. The aim was no doubt to maintain an air of mystique about their profession and at the same time elevate their standing in the eyes of the rest of the population. And it continues to this day. It's no wonder, and lamentable, that most people are turned off by science and medicine when it all looks like so much gobbledygook to them!

Anyway, rant over! ;)

Download one of the zip files (either the "Original BodyParts3D files" or the "Original BodyParts3D files at High Resolution"). Export the folder (bodyparts3d_20100816) you'll find a text file "coventional_part_of.txt" at the top level. Import this as a CSV file into a spreadsheet (e.g. MS Excel) and (after you've adjusted the column widths correctly) you'll have a table listing the Part Id (i.e. the <filename.obj> located within the folder "BodyParts3D_2.0_obj_99") against the Name (i.e. the body part). Similarly for the other text files.

You'll probably need to have a diagram listing the major parts of the brain to hand (there's plenty available if you Google "human brain diagram with labels") to double check that you've correctly identified all the parts in the list.

Hope that helps.

Regards,
Peter

inkpen3d
01-08-2014, 06:02 AM
You might also find the attached text file useful. It references all the file Ids in a hierarchical tree of body parts.

lertola2
01-09-2014, 07:18 PM
Xswampy is cheating, thatīs not a modeling solution:) but he shows brilliant solutions, Thanks Xswampy.

I do recall a tutorial about creating a brain in lightwave, not sure if it was a movie clip or something else, I also think he started out with maybe illustrator traced images from the brain and then imported to lightwave for connecting and extruding geometry.
Just a thought, drawing out a couple of bezier spline paths with px bezier, you can save those paths, and then reload and use tube, or belt etc, so you can mix different layers of "brain tubes"
I would probably use point normal move to inflate the brain tubes:)

Michael

You might be talking about my tutorial (http://www.joelertola.com/tutorials/tutor_frmset.html). But I would not do it like that now. It was to tedious. I think I could make a better brain now and do it much faster using zbrush.

prometheus
01-09-2014, 07:25 PM
You might be talking about my tutorial (http://www.joelertola.com/tutorials/tutor_frmset.html). But I would not do it like that now. It was to tedious. I think I could make a better brain now and do it much faster using zbrush.

Yes...indeed it was, thanks for that, and yes..I havenīt followed it through properly, I think as you noticed yourself, it is tedious:)
Besides I already got a brain, not sure if I need another one...or maybe I do..at least it might come in handy at the age of 85 if Im not taking care of my health, at that time I hope to get my brain scanned with all data intact
before it goes rotten, then printed out with all data intact and then find a surgeon skilled enough to replace it, I donīt want any repo men coming after me though:) all fiction though with Lightwave printed hearts and illustrator barcodes stenciled on the models.

Thanks for the other stuff on your site.

Michael

Digital Hermit
01-09-2014, 08:27 PM
You might also find the attached text file useful. It references all the file Ids in a hierarchical tree of body parts.

Thanks, I was having a arduous time going through all those .obj files! All I could think is...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sXDwF1Rq-oE