PDA

View Full Version : LWCAD question: bevel overlap

ernpchan
01-02-2014, 11:49 PM
I have a question for those of you that have LWCAD. Does it do bevels and fix overlapping points like bevel++? I flipped through the manual but didn't see anything mentioning it.

alexos
01-03-2014, 04:02 AM
LWCAD doesn't really have a bevel tool; the closest thing to bevel++ is probably the engraver tool, which does fix overlapping points quite nicely. Rounder and Profiler can also be useful, depending on your specific needs. Check out the online manual, there are quite a few videos there that are worth the proverbial amount of words.

ADP.

colkai
01-03-2014, 04:17 AM
It does rounder, which is like edge bevel, but does not try to handle overlaps. Bevel++ is the only one I know which tries, but even that is hit and miss.
Sometimes, you just have to do that stuff manually.

Engraver and profiler are different beasts, but stupidly useful, then again, pretty much every part LWCAD is, if you haven't got it and can afford it, it is worth every penny. Your workflow will improve drastically with it.

There are those that think the constant praise of LWCAD is annoying, but ask anyone who uses it regularly and you'll see why they do praise it. :)

As Alexos has said, visit http://www.wtools3d.com and check out the videos and manual, (freely downloadable to all, Newtek take note), also go to youtube and check out the LWCAD videos by others.

Do not be deceived by it's name, if you do any hard body modelling, it's a 100% must have, arch-viz or no. :D

Waves of light
01-03-2014, 04:27 AM
What Colkai said.

There can be a bit of negativity towards LWCAD, because it's mentioned all the time and seen as the saviour of Modeler. In some cases that is true, but you can get a lot of free plugins that will come close too to certain LWCAD functions. It's just that LWCAD will speed up your modeling workflow and that's where it 'saves' modeler.

Here's two new vids on youtube by Chipp Walters - he uses LWCAD MassRound a lot in both (which is a close to Bevel ++, but without sorting overlapping geom):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V5eC_AQU-2Q

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3eKD3X05_cg

JonW
01-03-2014, 04:44 AM
There are those that think the constant praise of LWCAD is annoying, but ask anyone who uses it regularly and you'll see why they do praise it.

I originally bought it & didn't use it for ages. But finally forced myself to use it & kicked myself for not putting in the effort earlier. Even if you only use 10% of the features it makes life a lot easier.

Engraver is one of the thing I use all the time.

ernpchan
01-03-2014, 08:16 AM
Thanks for the feedback. I know LWCAD is awesome. Just never pulled the trigger on buying it. I'm going to pick it up. I can always pick up Bevel++ down the road if I really need it.

colkai
01-04-2014, 05:32 AM
To be honest, for the cost of Bevel++, it's a no-brainer at $42, especially seeing as VertiBevel seems to have evaporated into the ether. :)