PDA

View Full Version : sculptris

nnabdu
01-02-2014, 07:20 AM
How to export the object form Lightwave to Sculptris and then after making the changes import it to Lightwave 3d?
thanks all

UnCommonGrafx
01-02-2014, 07:37 AM
Export as an obj.

nnabdu
01-02-2014, 07:41 AM
I tried I export my object with subpatch ,, but I tried to import it in Sculptris ,, It doesn't show up in the list..

UnCommonGrafx
01-02-2014, 10:04 AM
I don't have sculptris installed here but I know that it should work.

Import should work; and if not, then change the listing to be able to see all. If you can see the obj, open it. If you can't, check that you saved it in the place you think you did. :)

Open will not work; be sure you are pressing the "Open OBJ" button.

Doctor49152
01-04-2014, 02:21 AM
Scupltris will not take sub-patched .obj files (mainly because I don't think the .obj format supports sub-patches). Also sculptris only accepts triangle polygons so make sure you triple all polygons before export. And your object should be closed (no open/missing polygon areas).

nnabdu
01-05-2014, 12:54 PM
Oki ,,Waht about 3DCoat ,, is it best than ZBrush for Lightwave3d?

shadowshifter
01-05-2014, 04:31 PM
Sculptris seems fine importing quad meshes. Everything just becomes triangles when you start sculpting :) It doesn't like more than two polys to an edge or more than 24 (I think) connections on a vertex so if you have say a model with bat wings knock off the wing membranes and add them back in via Sculptris (PAIN IN THE SYSTEM, doing it right now, but I'm also hopeless so am probably just doing it wrong) or when you're retopo-ing, and check your ends (of horns, fingers, toes, tails, blood vessel ends, etc etc etc) to make sure they don't end in one vertex with everything else radiating off it.

All I know of 3DCoat is that it has a Linux version and doesn't have aforementioned limitations and will happily import anything...and that's about as far as I got with it before becoming hopelessly confused :)

eta hours later: just realised you asked how to export back to Lightwave, just export to obj (which is pretty much all Sculptris can export to). If there are more than 240k polys (which there probably will be) Lightwave will choke and die, or at least choke and be completely disgusting to work with. Need multithreading on the Modeler somehow but I heard a rumour this is not an easy thing.

nnabdu
01-08-2014, 12:32 PM
So, forget all ... I quit ...
I'll stay in LW and do disp-map on it and see the best I can do..
thanks all nice answers ...

Chris Jones
01-09-2014, 07:47 AM
You can import quads, export quads, and keep the quads while sculpting by turning the Strength slider all the way down. I can normally get things in and out of Sculptris as long as there's nothing weird going on with the mesh (eg single point polys), and the UVs are not overlapping themselves or the texture boundaries.