PDA

View Full Version : Addenda: "copy to perspective"

jeric_synergy
01-01-2014, 08:37 PM
The complete documentation in the v10 manuals for the "Copy To Perspective" button is:

Copy to Perspective
The Copy to Perspective option will use the settings in the
Camera for the Perspective view.

I believe this could use some expansion. #ahem#

(Adobe Reader multi-doc search did not come up with any other hits.)

GregMalick
01-02-2014, 05:35 PM
Is there a Copy Perspective to Camera?

jeric_synergy
01-02-2014, 06:09 PM
Y'know, I thought there was, recently added, but I'm disremembering the name.

I'm pretty sure the Copy to... here is something different.

lertola2
01-02-2014, 09:43 PM
The complete documentation in the v10 manuals for the "Copy To Perspective" button is:

Copy to Perspective

I believe this could use some expansion. #ahem#

(Adobe Reader multi-doc search did not come up with any other hits.)

Wow that is a mystery. I just spent a few minutes playing with this command but nothing obvious is happening.

vector
01-02-2014, 10:29 PM
The reverse option would be nice too: Perspective to camera

jeric_synergy
01-02-2014, 10:43 PM
I thought that got added? Recently?

GregMalick
01-03-2014, 01:17 AM
Wow that is a mystery. I just spent a few minutes playing with this command but nothing obvious is happening.
Using LW11.6.1 - Match Perspective to Current Camera does make the Perspective View kinda sorta match the Current Camera.

I haven't investigated any other versions, though.

OK. I dug up the LW10 dos and see you're talking about the Camera View tab.
Yeah, I think that must be some kinda vestige - doesn't see to do much of anything.

Skywatcher_NT
01-08-2014, 12:12 PM
Preferences panel ---> Copy to perspective button ( bottom left in Display Tab )

"Copy to Perspective
DOF/MBlur Preview Passes
The DOF/MBlur Preview Passes setting sets the number of
passes for Depth of Field and Motion Blur previews in the
viewport."

jeric_synergy
01-08-2014, 01:50 PM
Yeah, whatever it's doing isn't the same as the viewport menu feature ( 11.n ).

xchrisx
01-08-2014, 03:17 PM
"Match viewport" will match the camera to the perspective view. I believe the lens focal length needs to be set to 30.0 mm for it to be identical.

lertola2
01-08-2014, 07:56 PM
"Match viewport" will match the camera to the perspective view. I believe the lens focal length needs to be set to 30.0 mm for it to be identical.

Yes but how do we get the Copy to Perspective button to work? It would be very helpful to be able to go the other way.

GregMalick
01-08-2014, 08:34 PM

You are absolutely right, xchrisx. Thanks for the Focal Length tip.
But the Copy To Perspective checkbox in the Preferences/Display/Camera View doesn't do anything that I can tell.

Jarno
01-08-2014, 08:42 PM
The complete documentation in the v10 manuals for the "Copy To Perspective" button is

Something has gone somewhat astray with the naming of this command. It has nothing to do with copying the view transforms. What it actually does is copy the fog settings to the perspective view.

---JvdL---

jeric_synergy
01-09-2014, 09:35 AM
Yeah, one or two more words would've helped.

OR, the same thing in the dox.

As long as LW3dG clings to an outmoded documentation paradigm, we see this type of thing. Now that it's been cleared up here on the forums, NO BENEFITS WILL ACCRUE TO THE DOX, because this info will be forgotten and lost, and the next person won't be able to find it (esp. given the state of the forum 'Search' (ha!) engine).

Whereas, if we could contribute, two minutes would add it to the dox, and the dox would be more complete. Viola!

lertola2
01-09-2014, 07:27 PM
Yeah, one or two more words would've helped.

OR, the same thing in the dox.

As long as LW3dG clings to an outmoded documentation paradigm, we see this type of thing. Now that it's been cleared up here on the forums, NO BENEFITS WILL ACCRUE TO THE DOX, because this info will be forgotten and lost, and the next person won't be able to find it (esp. given the state of the forum 'Search' (ha!) engine).

Whereas, if we could contribute, two minutes would add it to the dox, and the dox would be more complete. Viola!

It is true that this info will be forgotten. But you can report this as a bug (https://fogbugz.newtek.com/default.asp?pg=pgPublicEdit). Its my impression that once Newtek is made aware of a problem via a bug report it is eventually sorted out.

jeric_synergy
01-09-2014, 08:56 PM
It's not really my impression, and it's just silly. If we were seeing monthly "errata & omissions" updates on the PDFs, I'd happily submit Fogbugz reports, but since Fogbugz can't even REMEMBER MY DAMN EADDRESS (ffs, send some damn cookies), to hell with it.