PDA

View Full Version : Best practices with managing the Content Directory (or Directories)

John Jordan
01-01-2014, 12:59 PM
I recently came back to Lightwave by upgrading to 11. I've been using LW since 7 and currently have 8, 9.6 and 11.6 installed on my system.

My question is: How do you handle Content Directory for multiple installs. I'm tempted to created one directory for images, objects and scenes that each version can point to. Or is is a better practice to just let each version have its own content folder as installed? Do you have a work directory structure that isn't covered elsewhere that might be useful?

I'm sure there is no one right answer but I would be interested in reading how others manage their assets.

If this question has already been discussed and answered, I'd appreciate a link to the discussion.

Thanks!

John

ernpchan
01-01-2014, 01:03 PM
You could use just one Content Directory. You'll just run into compatibility issues if something wasn't backwards compatible. For example I think the IK system is slightly different in the 9+ series. Model geometry should be fine but textures, especially node setups will be an issue as nodes don't exist in older versions of LW.

My question would be...why are you still choosing to keep so many LW versions in active use?

John Jordan
01-01-2014, 01:23 PM
You could use just one Content Directory. You'll just run into compatibility issues if something wasn't backwards compatible. For example I think the IK system is slightly different in the 9+ series. Model geometry should be fine but textures, especially node setups will be an issue as nodes don't exist in older versions of LW.

My question would be...why are you still choosing to keep so many LW versions in active use?

I don't really use the other versions before 11.6. I just never deleted them in case I thought I might need them at some point. There is different content in each version so I suppose a compromise might be to keep just images, objects and scenes in one folder (maybe divided by source folder) and let everything else stay where it is. It's not for necessity I ask but rather convenience.