PDA

View Full Version : rig files in lw8?

cresshead
11-17-2003, 03:07 PM
proton or chuck...would you like to add a teeny bit more info on rig files in lw8?

sounds cool..maybe it's like .fig files in character studio [max] where they store the size of rig and what bones are used in it
such as hw many fingers, a tail or pony tail or number of leg links and sizes of the bones...

or bip files from C.s [max]

where you store the animation in the file that you can load onto a different character and it will work with different sized legs etc...

sounds intriguing!

maybe we finally got quadroped!..the C.S beater!

steve g

Roger Eberhart
11-17-2003, 05:57 PM
I just saw LW 8 demoed in LA. You can load and save rigs in LW 8. It will save all your expressions, IK Booster settings, etc. for that rig. I do not think it will save animation. However, I believe you can already save animations using Motion Mixer. As long as the rig is the same, you should be able to apply those animations to another model. It is really easy to adjust rigs to fit your models in LW 8. It should be very easy to share rigs between users. While you can't custom create a rig, like C.S. or Setup Machine, it should be simple to cannibalize whatever bits and pieces you need from other rigs.

jr_sunshine
11-17-2003, 07:43 PM
WOW. It just keeps getting better and better. Something of a dopesheet or at least a KeyFrame manager, Loading and Saving poses, Saving Rigs, The new IK and rigging features,....

Praying for LW 8 to come soon...

;)

SplineGod
11-18-2003, 12:11 AM
Sure you can create custom rigs.
The demo was very cool. You can load a rig, scale it to a close fit then adjust the joints and so forth to fit.
The rig once loaded in is like any other and can be changed.
Rigs can be created from scratch.

Roger Eberhart
11-18-2003, 08:35 AM
You can make a custom rig from scratch. You cannot enter parameters like Character Studio or Setup Machine and it makes the rig for you. Which is fine by me, I just thought he was asking about that kind of custom rig creation. I think people will find with the new tools it will be pretty easy to just grab whatever bits and pieces they need and throw them together. Save off a quadraped rig, save off an upper body biped rig. Combine them together for a centaur rig. Working in games, we try to use the mix and match approach whenever possible. It saves time. Why reinvent the wheel every time? Most models you see in games use the Frankenstein approach.

Kvaalen
11-18-2003, 10:33 AM
This is great news!

Why don't you guys that saw the demos tell us more? :)

Dodgy
11-18-2003, 10:36 AM
I have ACS4 already and you can set up just about everything in your rig to your satisfaction in layout, then save out the rig (it even works well with motion mixer I seem to remember!) and then apply it to your new character... Very quick and handy for reusability.

Matt
11-18-2003, 10:42 AM
they've been held on pain of death to keep quiet!

SplineGod
11-18-2003, 11:23 AM
Originally posted by Dodgy
I have ACS4 already and you can set up just about everything in your rig to your satisfaction in layout, then save out the rig (it even works well with motion mixer I seem to remember!) and then apply it to your new character... Very quick and handy for reusability.
There is a difference. WIth this you can reuse rigs and parts of rigs between characters in the same scene for example. You can interactively scale a heirarchy. A heirarchy can be the whole character or parts of characters. Again, this is with IK and other things that are attached.
This means being able to do everything in layout. Check deformations, tweak, recheck deformations and so on. This is far more efficient to do in Layout than back and forth between layout and modeler.

fortress
11-18-2003, 08:08 PM
drooooooollllllllllllll

t4d
11-18-2003, 11:09 PM
sounds really amazing !!!!!
looking forward to it now,
it must be getting near to releases Now ?

SplineGod
11-18-2003, 11:31 PM
T4D,
I wish you could have been there. The new bone setup stuff is awesome! :)

Emmanuel
11-19-2003, 09:34 AM
Can I tweak the joint nodes symmetrically in LW8 ?
Like, when I manipluate the elbow joint node on the left, does it do it automatically on the right, too ?
Can I undo changes ? Can I "reset to default pose" ?

SplineGod
11-19-2003, 12:39 PM
Yes, All very good questions. :)

Chris S. (Fez)
11-19-2003, 01:24 PM
Smartskin? Improved PSD exporter?

SplineGod
11-19-2003, 02:06 PM
Smartskin...I believe that points can manipulated in layout in LW8.
Dunno about changes in the PSD exporter. :)

evenflcw
11-19-2003, 02:53 PM
From what I've read and seen that would allow for correcting/sculpting deformations on a frame by frame basis atleast. But you don't want to have to go in and correct "that" joint _every time_ you bend it! Unless there's a way to create new endomorphs or something simular inside Layout and tie this to bone transformations, there still is no strong smartskinning solution for LW. I'm wishing there's still more to see.

takkun
11-19-2003, 02:56 PM
Smartskin...I believe that points can manipulated in layout in LW8. But smart skin is more then that. Can you make it so that when you rotate a bone that the points translate to a new position (i.e. rotate elbow = muscles bulge)?

SplineGod
11-19-2003, 03:19 PM
Originally posted by takkun
But smart skin is more then that. Can you make it so that when you rotate a bone that the points translate to a new position (i.e. rotate elbow = muscles bulge)?
If I remember correctly I think you can do this. I have a plugin called XTool that allows you to manipulate points in layout. One thing is that the points show up in the graph editor and can be tied to a channel of something else via cycler. This means you can have the points move to specific postions based on the channel its tied to. I imagine if XTool does it that the same can be done with the point manipulation available in LW8.

On the same note you can use cycler to do the same thing with a morph or layers of morphs. You can determine which morph is activated when based on a specific position, scale or angle of something else. Most of the tutorials you see show someone tying a morph to the rotation more or less on a one to one basis with maybe a multiplier thrown in. Using CYCLER allows for complex blending of morphs at particular times based on the channel of something else.