PDA

View Full Version : Smooth between separate objects

m.d.
12-27-2013, 06:03 PM
I am trying to tile some realwave surfaces and when rendering I get expected smoothing errors between object edges...

Is there a way to either smooth between two unwelded objects

or tile an MDD file over a larger polygon grid?

without smoothing the scene tiles quite nicely....but that is really not an option

I had thought of tiling the surfaces and then making a larger single surface and then using a raycast node to project the deformations....but it seems if possible the better approach would be to tile an MDD displacement

Sensei
12-27-2013, 06:14 PM
They don't smooth, because their normal vectors are significantly different.

m.d.
12-27-2013, 06:26 PM
I realize that....I am just wondering if there is a way to hack it so they can smooth together...like smoothing groups in other apps...

the realwave surfaces tile seamlessly...so the border points themselves would have identical normals

is it possible to tile an MDD displacement if smoothing is out of the question?

Sensei
12-27-2013, 06:33 PM
.like smoothing groups in other apps...

Between completely unrelated items?

the realwave surfaces tile seamlessly...so the border points themselves would have identical normals

No.
Point normal is calculated from average polygons normals. Polygon normal is calculated from 1st, 2nd and last polygon's point positions.
One item would have to have at least one row/columns of the same polygons as other item.

MDD is not storing any normal vectors.

m.d.
12-27-2013, 06:46 PM
ok got it as far as the normals is concerned...
I thought it may be possible to cheat smoothing between the edges in the same way that DP Edge shader can manipulate the normals of an edge....

now as far as MDD not having any normals....the question was can they be tiled....nothing to do with smoothing itself.
the idea being, if you had a surface that was as large as 4x your realwave surface...and you tiled the MDD displacement over that surface...then you would have coincident edges able to be smoothed...that cannot be smoothed as 4 separate objects

Sensei
12-27-2013, 06:50 PM
I thought it may be possible to cheat smoothing between the edges in the same way that DP Edge shader can manipulate the normals of an edge....

You can plug any normal you will calculate to Normal input in surface.

You can merge objects (temporary), have them smoothed, bake normal image, then plug the same normal map in both item's surfaces.

the question was can they be tiled..

I don't understand what you're asking..
MDD is file format in which one row of data has x,y,z positions for each point. 1000 points in object, 1000 rows of x,y,z floats..

m.d.
12-27-2013, 06:55 PM
Interesting....

I think the merging would only work for non deforming objects...if I understand correctly

not my case here as the object is a deforming mesh

m.d.
12-27-2013, 07:02 PM
I don't understand what you're asking..
MDD is file format in which one row of data has x,y,z positions for each point. 1000 points in object, 1000 rows of x,y,z floats..

I am wondering if through nodal displacement the xyz data can be modified.....i.e add 10m to y and x...then matching it by co-ordinates rather then point order...
kind of like tiling a displacement map....just with MDD

then apply the data to an object that is much larger then the originally displaced one....perhaps 4x as large
that would give you the same area as tiling 4 of these realwave surfaces....except without the smooting issues inbetween