PDA

View Full Version : Camera tracking

euge04
11-17-2003, 02:31 PM
Is it possible to track a shot in Lightwave 7.0 so I can insert a 3D element into the shot seamlessly?

Beamtracer
11-17-2003, 04:02 PM
RealViz MatchMover is the ideal way to go, but it's very expensive.

Cost: 7499 US$ or Euros

Available for Mac OS X
http://www.realviz.com/products/mpro/index.php

tumblemonster
11-18-2003, 01:30 PM
Your other, slightly more expensive option (comparitively anyway) would be Boujou from 2d3(http://www.2d3.com/), at around $10,000. Both Matchmover and Boujou now have Mac versions. There is one other tracker for Mac, but it's name escapes me. It started as freeware and was sold and is now being marketed on both platforms.

-tm

euge04
11-18-2003, 04:32 PM
Yeah I don't think either of these are viable options for me but thanks. What about the pixel tracking option in After Effects? Basically I want to playce a sign and logo onto a building in a handheld video shot that I have.

Beamtracer
11-18-2003, 06:10 PM
It's probably better to render your sign in Lightwave, then export the still image into After Effects. Use After Effects to combine the sign + moving video.

AE has a 2d pixel tracker. Keep your camera in the same location (that is, keep your feet in the one place), and AE will be able to track the panning and tilting of the camera, and keep your sign locked onto the building. It should work realistically.

PS... I wish I had RealViz Matchmover myself!

Beamtracer
11-19-2003, 12:30 PM
Originally posted by euge04
Yeah the panning in the handheld video shot changes a lot and the sign is meant to match what is already there which are letters about 3/4" thick each attached to the side of the building. Oh well. Thanks for all your help I may have to do this all by hand.
As I said, as long as the video camera operators feet remain in the same position you can do this in After Effects. It doesn't matter how much panning there is, or what the tilt of the letters is.

If your camera is tracking (ie the operator is walking down the street) then I think it would be pretty well impossible to match 3D elements into the shot, without using a program like RealViz.

A plug-in that might be useful to help with the alignment angle of your letters is 'Camera Match' from Worley Labs, part of the 'Taft' plug-in collection. Available for OS X.

www.worley.com