PDA

View Full Version : Renamed Nodes: info lost forever?

jeric_synergy
12-25-2013, 04:16 PM
Once you've RENAMED a node, as far as I can tell there's no way short of deleting the name to find the ORIGINAL name/function of the node.

This is bad, because AFAICT, many many nodes have identical an appearance. Sin, Cos, and Sign all LOOK exactly alike.

In AE, when you RELABLE a Layer, there's always a way to see the original footage's name. Is there something comparable in Lightwave's Node Editor???

This is bad enough when it's your own network, but it REALLY slows down comprehension of other users' networks.

Sensei
12-25-2013, 04:45 PM
Simply delete all chars when Node Rename windows is open, and it'll get default name..

jeric_synergy
12-25-2013, 10:59 PM
That's what "short of deleting the name" MEANS. And it sucks as a workflow.

There should be a facility to indicate a node's type without destroying the user generated label. To me, that is an obvious thing.

ernpchan
12-26-2013, 12:04 AM
A toggle would be nice. Something similar to how you can switch between layer and source name in AE.

jeric_synergy
12-26-2013, 12:37 AM
As I said in the OP. A toggle, or a hover tag, or anything.

Duplicating the node type in the comment field seems a huge laborious thing, and only works for those conscientious enough to actually do it. Commenting is the first thing ignored in programming, and node weaving is a lot like programming.

An automated facility that would put the node type in the comment field would be a good patch, but not a true solution. The AE style is probably the best.

djwaterman
12-26-2013, 02:11 AM
Intuitively, what most people would do is right mouse button click on the node name and hope to see an info message, node type blah blah or User defined, custom, or what ever. I don't use the node editor that much and try to steer clear of complicated node structures, but this really does seem to be something that should be addressed.

jeric_synergy
12-26-2013, 11:09 AM
For the devs (since Rob is Watching ;) ), a toggle at the top of Node Editor (Noditor/Neditor) would toggle between the TYPE and the LABEL. Type is self-explanatory: Label is by default the Type, unless the user has explicitly altered it.

So, when the toggle is on LABEL, the user might see a mix of user-defined and default Labels.

When the toggle is on TYPE, the user exclusively sees only the node types.

This is identical to the After Effect layer name methodology.

There's no reason not to ALSO have other facilities:
1) a hover label, let's just make that the INVERSE of the view: if the mouse hovers over a node and the Neditor is in LABEL DISPLAY MODE, it shows the TYPE, and vice versa.

2) PLUS a facility that you could run that would PRE-pend the node type to ALL the node comments simultaneously. Or for control, make it "All Selected Nodes". Plus a feature that erases same.