PDA

View Full Version : where can I get the Lightwave 10 manual or list of nodal functions?

jimmahbee
12-25-2013, 02:47 PM
I am getting into nodes (which are amazing btw) but I was wondering if I could get a list of what each node does? Thanx Jim

Pensart
12-25-2013, 03:58 PM
The manuals can be found in your support download section. Lots of videos can be found on youtube

jeric_synergy
12-26-2013, 01:05 PM
There's not much reason for LW3dG to not put the PDFs where the whole world can get at 'em (and perhaps they have)-- it's certainly convenient that users see links in their account, but I think the product would be served if the dox were available to all (and they might be).

TMK the vast majority of the node dox are in the 10.0 "Surface and Rendering" pdf. I don't think there's anything newer en masse, although of course newer stuff (11.5 and 11.6) are covered in the addenda. Addenda are cumulative, and additions are marked, so you can just get the latest and be covered.

For instance, the Shadow Catcher Node (Material?) would be covered in the addenda, since it came out after 10.0.

hrgiger
12-28-2013, 02:56 AM
I would look into node training from Rebel Hill. http://www.rebelhill.net/html/products.html

jeric_synergy
12-28-2013, 03:39 PM
RH covers the most useful nodes--or so I believe--, but by no means all of them, and not all the native ones.

My apologies to RH if I'm wrong on that. But, I recently looked for .... Transform2?... and I didn't find it. It could be embedded in a video under a different name.

There's a LOT of nodes, even limiting it to the natives.
+++

Actually, I was only saying that RH's stuff isn't a REFERENCE-- they are invaluable as learning tools, but that's different from a reference.

Pensart
12-29-2013, 04:09 PM
On the Contrary, I think Newtek Should upload as much info and tutorials (especially youtube tutorials) to attract future customers. I remember the day's that Proton shared how to tutorials on a regular base. That helped a lot for everyone.There wil always be illigal copy's out there and I'm sure that this also counts for the manuals. So IMHO it will only help on growing the community and the skills their future customers.

Areyos Alektor
12-31-2013, 09:09 AM
There are Eriskals's topics that contain many links to tutorials, not to mention the official website :
https://www.lightwave3d.com/learn/

Even there's no recent, books on LightWaves are invaluable sources of knowledge (including on the Node).

There is indeed the Graig (Rebel Hill) videos that are must-have.

And Liberty 3D:
http://www.liberty3d.com/
Where there is including the intro by James Willmott for the Node.

And then the "LightWave 10 Help File" that contains a description of the various Node.

colkai
12-31-2013, 10:27 AM
Agree with Pensart, was a day the manuals were there for all to download. After all, you know, you might actually want to research a programs capabilities before forking out on it.
Many companies do just that, it's a way I've decided which updates to skip and which to buy with my sound/video/dtp packages.

jeric_synergy
12-31-2013, 11:38 AM
Very much agreed: as I recently posted, I think 3rd Powers should make their plugins' documentation publicly available, --given the enthusiasm around them I'm pretty sure it would only enhance their sales.

I've repeatedly said that LW3dG should allow the LightWiKI unfettered rights to duplicate the manuals, so that we could enhance and correct the manuals' shortcomings (which will always exist, no matter how well done they are, as new tutorials and whatnot appear on the internet).

+++

BTW, l've seen some folks grousing about Proton's tutorials, that they are tired of the character models he used, but I think that's rather shortsighted: Proton's tutorials MOVED, his voice was/is pleasant and informative and BRISK (not a stoner drawl or gutteral mumble), and his simplified scenes made it very clear what was going on. He'd pretty obviously rehearsed what he was going to say-- in short, his presentation skilz were good.

A full-on production scene can be very confusing-- the stripped down ones William showed illustrated his points clearly.

Pensart
12-31-2013, 11:41 AM
+1