PDA

View Full Version : Lightwave website blocked in China

shenhua
12-25-2013, 12:54 PM
Hi guys. I wasn't sure where to post it. It's not really a support request because I know there's not much you can do about it. Just wanted to give you a heads up that for over a month at least on my ISP (China Unicom in Heilongjiang) the Lightwave website: "https://www.lightwave3d.com/" is blocked. I mean I can only access it using various proxy/VPN tools but otherwise it seems to be behind the GFC.

Also the forum and the main newtek websites are fine. Only the lightwave website is inaccessible.

lertola2
12-27-2013, 02:11 PM
That is odd. I wonder why. Could it be that the Chinese censors think there is something subversive on the lightwave3d.com website? How much of the internet is actually blocked by China? Are you worried that you might get in trouble because you have revealed that you can circumvent the GFC?

raymondtrace
12-27-2013, 02:58 PM
The site appears to force HTTPS on the homepage. The forums and main newtek sites do not force HTTPS. Maybe that is enough to trigger CN filters. CN may want to observe traffic as plain HTTP.

Davewriter
12-27-2013, 08:10 PM
Was always a head scratcher for me. Visiting my wife's family in China and I needed to go to an internet cafe to check email. Found out that MSN was evil. Or at least that it was not only blocked - but I was given my money back and asked to leave. On a later visit to the same cafe I tried things that I thought might be dicey (thrill seeker that I am) no issue - but a safe 'n sane kid friendly site would again get me the big "X" arm motion and a point to the door.
Or maybe it was just me they didn't like :)

safetyman
12-28-2013, 06:21 AM
Maybe they don't want you to "Join the Rebellion"!

shenhua
02-10-2014, 12:47 PM
I am not worried that I am going around their block. I don't even think it's actually illegal ("legal" in China is also a very "debatable" concept) so I'm cool.

I also think that https might be the reason for it. Sth with the secure credentials of it... because HTTPS per se on foreign sites don't always have problems.

As for how much is blocked. Usually some more known political websites and because of Chinese protectionism most major foreign IT giants and their services like Google stuff (today I discovered Google drive is blocked, for example) so everything that could be competition to the domestic services is usually blocked and people are encouraged to use Chinese alternatives. Although in this case I don't see what Chinese alternative to LW would be... most Chinese doing graphics I know or saw simply work on Adobe, Autodesk and other most common packages.

robpowers3d
02-10-2014, 03:57 PM
Hi guys. I wasn't sure where to post it. It's not really a support request because I know there's not much you can do about it. Just wanted to give you a heads up that for over a month at least on my ISP (China Unicom in Heilongjiang) the Lightwave website: "https://www.lightwave3d.com/" is blocked. I mean I can only access it using various proxy/VPN tools but otherwise it seems to be behind the GFC.

Also the forum and the main newtek websites are fine. Only the lightwave website is inaccessible.

Hi Shenhua,
Thank you for informing us about this issue. We will look into it and try to find a resolution.

Doctor49152
02-10-2014, 07:26 PM
http://www.greatfirewallofchina.org/index.php?siteurl=www.lightwave3d.com

It's dead Jim..

Davewriter
02-10-2014, 07:48 PM
Possibly just for the moment. Websites that can't be reached on Monday... sometimes can surprisingly be reached again on Friday..
Fred can be in charge of sector R for awhile, then can be shifted over to sector M two weeks later.
It can all change for little or no reason at all.
At least none that this westerner could ever come up with.
What would amuse me is that you could have problems getting to a microsoft website... but you could buy a pirated copy of the current Windows out on a busy street... standing next to cop... for $0.87

JonW
02-10-2014, 09:54 PM
My signature is enough to cause panic!

Procrastination, mankind's greatest labour saving device!

shenhua
02-11-2014, 09:52 AM
Oh... I just went to check out some tutorials from another thread in the forum which directed me to the LightWave3D/learn page... then I changed the address to: https://www.lightwave3d.com/... and yeah, now it works all fine. At least for the moment ;) not sure what happened here but glad to see it working and I think this is good for the product to be accessible. So yeah, just wanted to report back on it. (And Newtek main website is working fine too). OFC the YT vids on Learn part don't really work... but that's beyond your control, I use VPN for YT anyway :<.

shenhua
02-11-2014, 09:58 AM
@Dave

What would amuse me is that you could have problems getting to a microsoft website... but you could buy a pirated copy of the current Windows out on a busy street... standing next to cop... for $0.87 <- well while this is mostly true, XP still is the most popular OS in China slowly being overtaken by W7 most of it sold in a pirated package with ghost and all the stuff to it already pimped up...

... I rarely had problems with MS myself esp being surprised that Windows update works. But I always have problem using Google. One of the reason why I completely moved away from Googling... to Binging... if you excuse the pun.

Davewriter
02-11-2014, 07:49 PM
@Shenhua
We were visiting my wife's family in Zheng Zhou. The first time we went into an internet cafe so I could check my email, I was happily surprised that there was no problem. Seemed like home. I could go anywhere. Second time I went in it seemed as if the "hotmail" website was a no-no. I couldn't explain with my crappy Chinese and the poor young lady acting as gate keeper just handed me my money back and pointed to the door.
On our next visit, mom and dad had a computer and all seemed fine. Or at least no one was arrested.
Oh - and I bought a couple of copies of XP just so I could shake the cages for a couple of IT guys.
They didn't see the humor :)

mikkelen
02-12-2014, 05:31 PM
Maybe they don't want you to "Join the Rebellion"!

Sounds plausible...