PDA

View Full Version : The winter session presentation from Rob Powers

prometheus
12-25-2013, 09:19 AM
Kudos to Rob Powers for taking notes and listen to these forums and us users, and then convey the rebellion message much clearer this time for everyone to listen to, regarding object referencing and non unified app and what
that might bring in implications, benefits and the future roadmap, Good communication skills there rob:)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tRu_R3RubYI

I loved the real world unit presentation..yay :)

And for me...I liked very much what I hear about none forced subscription programs, personally I think some software might be killing themself, or at least putting them in bad sales with that approach, so Im glad to see this not happening for lightwave.

A picky note, itīs not all lightwave and maybe after effects, the reels do indeed showcase more than hypervoxels, and that is for example TurbulenceFD which isnīt a part of native lightwave stuff, but I get the point that
The lightwave reel in general might consists of more "out of the box" reels than other software using more needed third party plugins.

Thanks for the nice presentation and Merry christmas and a happy new year to Rob and all the staff in the Lightwave group.

Michael Ivarsson

:thumbsup:

50one
12-25-2013, 11:15 AM
Yes, thx for putting the presentation online, I couldn't watch the live event. It was a good show and I enjoyed what I have heard:)

chikega
12-25-2013, 11:27 AM
This is much more digestible without the Japanese translation. Thank you for the post.

hrgiger
12-25-2013, 01:56 PM
Well I think its an oversimplification to say that modeler is a prop shop while Layout is the Shooting Stage and it wouldn't make sense to build a model on the shooting Stage.... because that's not at all what happens in a unified application. In a unified application, the prop shop is the dedicated modeling workspace while the Shooting Stage is a dedicated layout or animation workspace. Having them in separate applications is not a benefit. Also, there's no reason that object referencing couldn't work the same in a unified application the way it does in LightWave. You can still keep the .lws that references the .lwo. It may be beneficial to add a project format that saves both the state of the objects and scene.

I enjoyed the presentation but as far as future roadmaps or plans, it hasn't really shed any light in any particular direction. Before I had believed them to be moving slowly towards a unified architecture but Rob's words here make it sound like they will be keeping the applications separate but adding more functionality in each app to make up for the shortcomings. He mentioned that they will be adding new solutions to fix shortcomings but keeping the benefits he listed in the separated workflow. Of course, that's just my interpretation and Rob was (I'm certain) intentionally vague about one way or the other so I could be way off.

Fsoto
12-25-2013, 05:39 PM
Thanks for sharing the presentation here.

Cageman
12-25-2013, 05:44 PM
Well... the takeaway from all this is that LW3DG are very much aware of what the current state of separation brings to the table in terms of drawbacks, and that they are working on ways to improve this. It is going to be interesting to see what they will come up with.

hrgiger
12-25-2013, 06:14 PM
Well... the takeaway from all this is that LW3DG are very much aware of what the current state of separation brings to the table in terms of drawbacks, and that they are working on ways to improve this. It is going to be interesting to see what they will come up with.

Yeah, I actually chuckled a little when Rob threw in the disclaimer that even though he is promoting benefits of current architecture, that it doesn't mean they aren't changing things.