PDA

View Full Version : Free trial of Chronosculpt is now available...

Snosrap
12-24-2013, 10:32 AM
here: https://www.lightwave3d.com/try_chronosculpt/ I can't wait to try it!

hrgiger
12-24-2013, 02:23 PM
Even better, they just released an update to CS and Linux is now supported.

jasonwestmas
12-24-2013, 03:13 PM
Finally! very cool.

djwaterman
12-24-2013, 05:34 PM
I bought it way back during Siggraph and still can't use it because of issues with my laptop, so have fun. This will all get resolved when I get a proper computer.

Snosrap
12-24-2013, 05:58 PM
I've been super interested to see if NewTek technology could ever handle super heavy polygonal objects. - It can. Depending on what kind of view you've got it set to. The flat wireframe and flat shade aren't the snappiest. But smooth shade is really smooth.

chikega
12-24-2013, 06:08 PM
Hmmm ... Chronosculpt demo crashes each and everytime I drag the vertical yellow bars in the Timeline. The Crash reporter popup asked me to send the .dmp file to Customer support for debugging, but I see no way of attaching a file when using the online messaging system. Well, so much for testing it out. :(

jasonwestmas
12-24-2013, 06:59 PM
Commercial version appears to be looking great so far. Alembic objects save correctly with respective morph clips now. This is gonna be great for creating subtle corrections with great precision.

jeric_synergy
12-25-2013, 12:28 PM
I'm going to have to take a look-- CS confuses me.

Snosrap
12-25-2013, 01:41 PM
It seems to be a fairly simplistic app and focused on what it claims to do and not much else. Not that that is a bad thing. :) Just probably not something I'll be shelling out $400 for.

jasonwestmas
12-25-2013, 06:20 PM
It seems to be a fairly simplistic app and focused on what it claims to do and not much else. Not that that is a bad thing. :) Just probably not something I'll be shelling out $400 for.

yes, it doesn't do a lot, but what it can do is extremely professional like a super sharp scalpel or a high grade sniper rifle. You either need that level of precision or you don't.

netstile123
12-29-2013, 09:42 AM
I was going to give the free trial a chance but I drag my key in and it says to close and restart and when I open it it just asks for the key again. I tried 3 or 4 times with no result?

netstile123
12-29-2013, 10:04 AM
well I see I have to copy the number and register first, But I tried that and says to contact costomer service. Is anything easy anymore to try stuff??????

jwiede
12-31-2013, 04:49 AM

I've basically come to the same conclusion, I think the current price is too high for the breadth of functionality offered. I'm passing on it for now, though I'll re-evaluate if they significantly increase the functionality or drop the price.

bobakabob
12-31-2013, 09:41 AM
It would be nice if there were a New Year special for long time Lightwave users :)

netstile123
12-31-2013, 05:19 PM
I still am having problems and unable to even try the 30 day trial. I am looking over the 3d powers plug ins and looks like some positive results for cheeper price

jeric_synergy
12-31-2013, 06:34 PM
Chronosculpt and the 3rd Powers plugins don't overlap all that much, do they?

jasonwestmas
01-01-2014, 10:38 AM
Chronosculpt and the 3rd Powers plugins don't overlap all that much, do they?

sure they can, the layout plugins act as deformers and deformers can be baked to point cache. . . which is what CS works with.

jeric_synergy
01-01-2014, 12:03 PM
Well, certainly they can pertain to the same thing, but the functionality is totally different, ain't it?

Nobody wants to model in Chronosculpt, do they???

jasonwestmas
01-01-2014, 02:17 PM
Well, certainly they can pertain to the same thing, but the functionality is totally different, ain't it?

Nobody wants to model in Chronosculpt, do they???

sorry I misinterpreted your original statement. No they don't really do the same things much at all.

jeric_synergy
01-01-2014, 02:52 PM
No worries Jason: it just seemed odd to me that people would be 'torn' between CS and 3rd Powers. It's like "Which will I get? A chainsaw or a glass-blowing furnace?"

jasonwestmas
01-01-2014, 03:56 PM
No worries Jason: it just seemed odd to me that people would be 'torn' between CS and 3rd Powers. It's like "Which will I get? A chainsaw or a glass-blowing furnace?"

hahaha, yeah I don't think people need to be worried about getting both. Completely different worlds.

jwiede
01-02-2014, 10:10 AM

The commonality is that both cost money, and for most that's a scarce resource. Such "chainsaw vs glass-blowing furnace" decisions are actually quite common, it's about products at similar cost-points competing for the same dollars (or whatever).

jeric_synergy
01-02-2014, 10:28 AM
Still, totally different functionality. Searching for a more reasonable simile ....

For one man shops, it's a bigger deal, since we need the entire pipeline.

jwiede
01-02-2014, 10:53 AM
Still, totally different functionality.

Yes, very different, I'm not suggesting otherwise.