PDA

View Full Version : Maya to lightwave

Yaell7
12-24-2013, 09:41 AM
I keep hearing that it's possible to rig & animate characters in maya and texture and rendering lightwave, but I can't find any tutorial, specially because I want to texture using goz from lightwave so I can use displacements maps or normal maps. When I import the fbx from maya the displacement maps created in zbrush don't come with it.

It's also annoying that lightwave don't transfer all the subtools and the zbrushuv create issue in lightwave, so I decided to export the goz to maya to get all of the subtools as a single model, but when I import the fbx model from maya into lightwave the textures are all messed up because of same uv Map name.

I love genoma but obviously doesn't compare to Maya's animation and rigging tools.

I need help, what is the best maya lightwave zbrush workflow?

lino.grandi
12-29-2013, 04:01 AM
If you animate in Maya, the best way to import the animation is using MDD or Maya Cache files (using OBJs for interchange if the model has been created in Maya).

About exporting all the ZBrush subtools from ZB to LW in one go, that is something we'll solve in the next LW update.

At the moment you need to export the subtools one by one.

About UVs, what problem did you find with ZBrush, GoZ and LW?

Genoma can help rigging, but of course mastering Layout Rigging tools is very important. Next version of Genoma is going to be a big advancement, both for users that don't know how to rig and expert riggers.

In general a good Maya/LW workflow would be the following:

1) Modeling/Texturing/Shading in LightWave (using ZBrush and GoZ if needed).
2) Exporting the character mesh as OBJ, so it can be rigged and animated in Maya.
3) Exporting the animation cache from Maya using the Maya Cache format, that can be used in LightWave without problems.
4) Import the animation cache on the Character mesh in LightWave for the final rendering.

You could even use ChronoSculpt for importing the Characters and their caches so to tweak the final animation (from there you can also save the cache to an MDD cache file if you need it).

Here you can find a tutorial about working with LightWave and GoZ:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RLlZkARzMaI

I keep hearing that it's possible to rig & animate characters in maya and texture and rendering lightwave, but I can't find any tutorial, specially because I want to texture using goz from lightwave so I can use displacements maps or normal maps. When I import the fbx from maya the displacement maps created in zbrush don't come with it.

It's also annoying that lightwave don't transfer all the subtools and the zbrushuv create issue in lightwave, so I decided to export the goz to maya to get all of the subtools as a single model, but when I import the fbx model from maya into lightwave the textures are all messed up because of same uv Map name.

I love genoma but obviously doesn't compare to Maya's animation and rigging tools.

I need help, what is the best maya lightwave zbrush workflow?

CaptainMarlowe
12-29-2013, 07:52 AM
Next version of Genoma is going to be a big advancement, both for users that don't know how to rig and expert riggers.

Can't wait !! ;)

jasonwestmas
12-29-2013, 10:37 AM
Maya 2013+ also exports .abc alembic files which combines the pointcache, material groups, UVs and the geometry for multiple objects into a single file (saves some time). LW11.6 can import those pretty well and will create the point cache deformers for you upon import. If you created your material surfaces in lightwave first, just save them out as presets and load them back on your .abc models.

2create
12-29-2013, 10:57 AM
We did a little test project at work that involved animating in Maya and sculpting in Zbrush: https://vimeo.com/79097713 (1st and 3rd monster)

2 Artists created and animated the characters in Maya, in anyway they saw fit.
Exported an base mesh OBJ, an Autodesk Geometry Cache and Displacement/Normal/colour maps
I imported everything into Layout and setup materials and displacement
Loaded in the Geometry Cache via MD reader and away it went.

Pretty much what Lino said :) The only issue I had (11.6) was network rendering. I didn't look into it too much but my quick fix was to bake to MDD and use MD Pointer node (DP Kit), which seemed to work over the network.

Yaell7
12-29-2013, 04:51 PM
I started using alembic

Yaell7
12-29-2013, 04:58 PM
I started using alembic

If you animate in Maya, the best way to import the animation is using MDD or Maya Cache files (using OBJs for interchange if the model has been created in Maya).

About exporting all the ZBrush subtools from ZB to LW in one go, that is something we'll solve in the next LW update.

At the moment you need to export the subtools one by one.

About UVs, what problem did you find with ZBrush, GoZ and LW?

Genoma can help rigging, but of course mastering Layout Rigging tools is very important. Next version of Genoma is going to be a big advancement, both for users that don't know how to rig and expert riggers.

In general a good Maya/LW workflow would be the following:

1) Modeling/Texturing/Shading in LightWave (using ZBrush and GoZ if needed).
2) Exporting the character mesh as OBJ, so it can be rigged and animated in Maya.
3) Exporting the animation cache from Maya using the Maya Cache format, that can be used in LightWave without problems.
4) Import the animation cache on the Character mesh in LightWave for the final rendering.

You could even use ChronoSculpt for importing the Characters and their caches so to tweak the final animation (from there you can also save the cache to an MDD cache file if you need it).

Here you can find a tutorial about working with LightWave and GoZ:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RLlZkARzMaI

Thank you Lino for your reply. I started using alembic and it works great.

About the UVs in zbrush the issue that I'm having is the following, since I have to export each subtool as separate objects when I bring them into modeler to assemble them in one document or object the uvs get all messed up. here is a workaround posted on youtube by Angel Villacis (you can skip to 4:24 in the time slider so you don't have to watch the entire video) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WGHd1fPygU8 practically you have to create a new surface for each subtool or object and reapply the UVs otherwise the Uvs will have black spots on them. So I tried exporting my object with all the subtools to maya instead of lightwave and then export it as an obj to lightwave so I get the entire model, that worked but the same issue with the UVs black spots on each subtool.

Yaell7
12-29-2013, 05:01 PM
Maya 2013+ also exports .abc alembic files which combines the pointcache, material groups, UVs and the geometry for multiple objects into a single file (saves some time). LW11.6 can import those pretty well and will create the point cache deformers for you upon import. If you created your material surfaces in lightwave first, just save them out as presets and load them back on your .abc models.

That's genius I didn't think about using the pressets, will that save the nodes created by goz? with the displacement maps and normal maps?

Yaell7
12-29-2013, 05:05 PM
We did a little test project at work that involved animating in Maya and sculpting in Zbrush: https://vimeo.com/79097713 (1st and 3rd monster)

2 Artists created and animated the characters in Maya, in anyway they saw fit.
Exported an base mesh OBJ, an Autodesk Geometry Cache and Displacement/Normal/colour maps
I imported everything into Layout and setup materials and displacement
Loaded in the Geometry Cache via MD reader and away it went.

Pretty much what Lino said :) The only issue I had (11.6) was network rendering. I didn't look into it too much but my quick fix was to bake to MDD and use MD Pointer node (DP Kit), which seemed to work over the network.

Thank you I love the animation, Did you manually setup the materials and displacement when you imported the objs to lightwave or were you able to import them into lightwave with all the nodes already set?

jasonwestmas
12-29-2013, 09:41 PM
That's genius I didn't think about using the pressets, will that save the nodes created by goz? with the displacement maps and normal maps?

yep, all surface presets save any nodes originally applied to the surface/ name including displacement and normal map nodes that are in the surface. In case you weren't aware, displacements that are applied in the surface are directly connected to the bump value that is in the deform tab for the object of interest. BUT because object property tabs are object LAYER specific and are saved only within the .lws file (which includes the deform tab) Surface presets do not save any values you apply in the deform tab nor any nodes you may have applied to the displacement node environment. In other words any object property values will have to be recreated for a separate object name. . . . ORRR you can simply swap out your original object layer with any new .abc geometry within modeler, thus using the same lwo object name and you can therefore reuse any previous values you may have entered inside object properties. After the swap you can simply save your new lwo object under the same name and hop back into layout.

Yaell7
12-30-2013, 04:33 PM
Awesome!, now here is another issue I encountered with nodes, when I want SSS or subsurface scattering and I use the fast skin node applied on the material input I lose all of my uvs.

jasonwestmas
12-30-2013, 06:00 PM
Awesome!, now here is another issue I encountered with nodes, when I want SSS or subsurface scattering and I use the fast skin node applied on the material input I lose all of my uvs.

I'd report that. Obv. that shdn't hpn. Thats probably not the best skin node to use anyway imo. Try simple skin or skin. Skin node has darker diffuse fyi.

jeric_synergy
12-30-2013, 06:29 PM
I decided to look into this, but have no idea where to start in the dox.

In the dox, is there a step-by-step workflow that explains the complete MAYA>LW workflow? As in "1, 2, 3..."?

Yaell7
12-30-2013, 06:42 PM
I'd report that. Obv. that shdn't hpn. Thats probably not the best skin node to use anyway imo. Try simple skin or skin. Skin node has darker diffuse fyi.
Yes if you plug anything in the material input it will override any other node. The reason why I decided to use fast skin is because I saw a tutorial by William (proton) about it and it look simple and fast.

jasonwestmas
12-30-2013, 09:57 PM
Yes if you plug anything in the material input it will override any other node. The reason why I decided to use fast skin is because I saw a tutorial by William (proton) about it and it look simple and fast.

yeah, the material nodes override many of the other nodes that involve shading, that's by design.

Yaell7
12-30-2013, 10:14 PM
Thats probably not the best skin node to use anyway imo. Try simple skin or skin. Skin node has darker diffuse fyi. Thank you I'll try those, this is my first time dealing with sss. I appreciate your help.

Yaell7
12-31-2013, 09:50 AM
Another issue with lightwave to zbrush is the scale, I needed to make a sculpture for 3d printing so I created the base mesh to be 4" height on modeler and I hit goz the brush is too big for the model even a 1 point draw size brush, is there any setting I need to change on zbrush or modeler?, because I prefer to model on scale, special after reading that SSS works better if you model on scale.

jasonwestmas
12-31-2013, 05:30 PM
Another issue with lightwave to zbrush is the scale, I needed to make a sculpture for 3d printing so I created the base mesh to be 4" height on modeler and I hit goz the brush is too big for the model even a 1 point draw size brush, is there any setting I need to change on zbrush or modeler?, because I prefer to model on scale, special after reading that SSS works better if you model on scale.

That's a zbrush issue most likely or sculpt large scale and then scale your model later. You can try the Preferences Draw> Dynamic scale value to get your brush size smaller. Default I think is around 5 which may be too large for what you are doing.