PDA

View Full Version : 700MB CD Video File

sward
11-17-2003, 01:25 PM
I would like to render a video file that will fit on a 700MB cd. If this is possible through VT3 then great. If not, we also own Pinnacle Studio 8; Does anyone know the best way to create a VCD or an SVCD to play our sales video. We will be sending this to a lot of our dealers, so we want the best quality with the standard cd equipment available.

Thanks for all help,
Scott

mgrusin
11-17-2003, 02:56 PM
Not within the toaster, but TMPGEnc (www.tmpgenc.com) can easily create VCD and SVCD-compliant MPEG files from Toaster output, and will helpfully select the highest bitrate to make your production fit onto a 700MB CD. You'll then need Nero or something like it to take your MPEG file, menu, etc. and burn a (S)VCD-compliant CD.

(Pinnacle Studio may be able to do this as well, see if it has a SVCD or VCD creation option. If you want to edit in the Toaster and burn using Pinnacle, you can export a DV type 2 file from the Toaster that Pinnacle should be able to read).

Having said that, SVCDs look great and are cheap to make, but I've had a bit of trouble distributing them (my DVD player and lots of others will play them just fine, but invariably my client's player won't). Do it if you already have a foolproof playback system in place, otherwise consider using computer-playable formats such as MPEG1 or Quicktime/WMV, or creating "real" DVDs, which anyone can play.

-MG.

eon5
11-18-2003, 08:00 AM
creating "real" DVDs, which anyone can play

im testing the TMPGEnc trial version... but have a little unknowledge:

which is the bitrate and best settings that i must select to do DVD authoring?

(distributing them in NTSC and PAL formats)

I have VT3.

tkx in advance

Scott Bates
11-18-2003, 09:30 AM
Get Eugene K's article Here (http://www.professionaleventvideo.com/tmpdirections.htm), that's the best place to start.

sward
11-19-2003, 09:15 AM
OK. This sounds great, but still need a warm and fuzzy feeling! The application sounds like it will be an SVCD (3-5 minutes of video so should be ok) and will be geared to play back on Windows Media Player. Will TMPGEnc encode a file that will work this way? I have tried using Pinnacle Studio 8 to encode an SVCD, but received errors when trying to play it!

Thoughts?

Thanks,
Scott

sward
11-19-2003, 09:42 AM
In addition, I have created files and played them through Windows Media Player, but was unable to see the video out when sent to a plasma screen. Has anyone else accomplished this? I can get it to work when using the DVD player software, but not with WMP!

Thanks again,
Scott

Scott Bates
11-19-2003, 10:28 AM
I've never done a SVCD, but did recently put a 10 minute video on VCD which plays fine on WMP. You want to encode a MPEG1 file. Eugene has recommended "MPEG-1 352X240 CBR 1800kb/s and audio MPEG-1 Layer 2 at 192kb/s for maximum compatibility and decent quality on CD-ROM." I initially encoded to those specs and got a ~156Mb file. I ran it through again at 3600kb/s which resulted in much better quality and still plays fine on the three systems I've tried it on.

Can't say why your files won't show up on a plasma screen, no experience in that area.

sward
11-19-2003, 11:17 AM
Thanks for your reply. You bring up a good point about quality. I am looking at doing full screen mpeg2 (DVD) quality video. I understand that a CD will not hold as much information, but should be ok in the 3-5 minute range.

Also, anyone else work with WMP and output to plasmas, video projectors,etc... and get the output to work. I can say that when rendered from the VT3 machine to WMP format, it worked fine. The only problem was the resolution was too small and very poor when played full screen!

Thanks again,
Scott

Scott Bates
11-19-2003, 12:06 PM
Others with more VCD/SVCD to projection systems/plasma will have to jump in here Scott 'cause I don't have that experience.

The largest "full screen" playback I can do here is on my 21" VT system CRT monitor. Encoded at 3,600kb/s the MPEG1 file "looked good" to me (and I could have gone higher), but I warned the person I was doing it for (a "freebie" for an organization I'm active in) that I could not guarantee what it would looked like if she projects it on a large screen.

Unless you're tied to CD playback for some reason, I'd opt for doing mpeg2 on DVD as you mention above. As short as your program is you can encode at max CBR bitrate and it will be full 720x480 size to begin with.

Jim_C
11-19-2003, 12:38 PM
Scott W,
What are your greatest determining factors?
-Must fit on CD and not DVD for economical distribution?
-Quality of file or playback compatibilty? Is the finished product going to many people with many machines. Computers only or computers and DVD players?
Your first post spoke of svcd on a CD now you mentioned mpeg2.

Whats your final goal I guess is my question.
There are just so many ways and formats I'm trying to get a bearing before I ramble off numbers that are not pertinent.

Jim

sward
11-19-2003, 12:50 PM
Originally posted by Jim_C
Scott W,
What are your greatest determining factors?
-Must fit on CD and not DVD for economical distribution? CD
-Quality of file or playback compatibilty? Is the finished product going to many people with many machines. Computers only or computers and DVD players? PC Users w/Windows 95 or higher
Your first post spoke of svcd on a CD now you mentioned mpeg2.

Whats your final goal I guess is my question.
There are just so many ways and formats I'm trying to get a bearing before I ramble off numbers that are not pertinent.

Jim

See answers inline. Ultimately, I would like to be able to create the highest quality Video CD possible (700MB CDs) and let the users play it back on Windows Media Player. I am using version 9, but understand that the dealers could have older versions. If they are several versions old, then they will have to update, but should play on last two or three versions of WMP.

Thanks for your reply!
Scott

Jim_C
11-19-2003, 01:02 PM
If you create an mpeg2 and put it on a CD, users will have to have a plug in($) for WMP to play it, or Power DVD or Win DVD or similar.
So keep that in mind.

One option to try.
Install Windows media Encoder 9 and make a wmv.
Use the walk thru and choose CD playback as source.

-Then in your compression settings choose the Windows V7 or V8 codec to encode with NOT the new 9.
Your gonna be 99% sure all can play the 7 and prob. 90% sure all can play the 8. 9 is so darn pretty its a shame not all are up graded yet. All mac's wmp's can play 7 and 8 and MS just released a new wmp for OSX that plays 9's finally.

-Leave the quality as high as you dare.

-Check the box that says 'Output size same as Input.
WME will set the settings to make sure it will stream off disk just fine.
you can then incorporate a free ware auto play program to have the disk start up automatically if need be.

So you'll have a great looking full size video in .wmv that all can play. Hopefully.

If you go this route and have more WME questions drop a line.

jim

goodrichm
11-19-2003, 02:02 PM
"...you can then incorporate a free ware auto play program to have the disk start up automatically if need be."

Jim,

Any recommendations on the CD "free ware auto play program" you referred to in your post? Thanx...Mark

SBowie
11-19-2003, 02:17 PM
Any recommendations on the CD "free ware auto play program" you referred to in your post? Not sure what Jim will suggest (and interested to see!) but here's a place where you can download a free autorun utility that I've used a number of times:

Karen's Power Tools Site (http://www.karenware.com/powertools/powertools.asp)

Jim_C
11-19-2003, 02:21 PM
I like MultiMedia Builder by Media Chance.
They also make DVD Lab(great program)
actually everything they make is useful and useable.
http://www.mediachance.com/oldindex.html

Multimedia builder may be a bit much for simple autoruns.
SmartPlay is a good 9 dollar program.
http://www.softcities.com/SmartPlay/download/8142.htm

The descrip of Movie Launcher looks cool here
http://www.freewarefiles.com/search.php
Steve has a tried and true freeware above, but here is a real link to Movie Launcher
http://www.bitfolge.de/?l=en&s=movielauncher

but freeware can be freeware.

search download.com also, prob too many results but...

jim

Scott Bates
11-19-2003, 02:34 PM
WinOpen (http://www.duckware.com/winopen/) is "Affordware" ($19), simple and easy.

goodrichm
11-20-2003, 01:09 PM
Thanks everyone for the great selection of autorun programs! I can see where these are needed for poping a CD/DVD into a computer.

Sorry for being so thick, but what's needed to autoplay a CD, with a movie created on the computer, in a normal home consumer DVD player?

Please help me fill in the holes:

1) Save movie/project in .rtv format.
2) Load .rtv file into TMPGEnc (using rtv plugin).
3) In TMPGEnc, render/encode output to MPEG-1 or -2 format for CD.
4) Use CD burning program (Nero, Roxio, etc.) to burn the resulting MPEG file on CDROM.

Does the DVD player then auto detect the MPEG file on the CD and start playing or is something else needed? I realize an additional program is required if you want a fancy user interface front end to select scenes, language, etc.

Thanx, Mark