PDA

View Full Version : Problem Installing 11.6.1

LW_Will
12-23-2013, 03:49 AM
Wow. I am stumped.

Install ran well. Open, LW says that it cannot load licence seat. Drop Old LICENSE.LWK into Layout. Close, reopen. Works. Use for a while, close. Reopen. Cannot obtain license.

What?

Download NEW version of LICENSE.LWK. Drop into Layout... reboot, works. Close, reopen... cannot obtain license.

What, again? I've rebooted, re-downloaded and reloaded all files. Same reaction. ::SHRUG::

Anybody have any insight?

Thanks.

Waves of light
12-23-2013, 04:35 AM
These are just my suggestions, based on previous experiences installing LW on a windows OS:

1. Uninstall 11.6.1
2. Delete config directory called 11.6.1 from the C:\Users\<yourusername>\.NewTek\LightWave
3. Make sure you run the Install.exe, unzipped (so not from the zip file) and RMB click 'Run as administrator'
4. Once the install has finished, go to the programs directory and find the layout.exe, modeler.exe and hub.exe for LW11.6.1 (mines under C:\Program Files\NewTek\LightWave11.6.1\bin) and RMB click 'Properties', Compatibility Tab and select 'run this program as an administrator'
5. Lauch Layout.exe
6. Drag licence key (which I presume you got from Lightwave3d.com - I ask because I know of an issue where someone was trying to use an incompatible licence key) onto the splash screen. Close layout.
7. Check that the licence key has been written to C:\Users\<username>\.NewTek\LightWave\11.6.1\licenses and that it's called LICENSE.LWK)
8. If not, copy LICENSE.LWK to C:\Users\<username>\.NewTek\LightWave\11.6.1\licenses
9. Open layout - check to see if it has worked.
10. If not, reboot and try to open layout again.
11. If not, I'm afraid I'm out of ideas

Let us know how it goes.

Cheers.

3DGFXStudios
12-23-2013, 08:05 AM
Could as well be your virus scanner.

chikega
12-23-2013, 08:11 AM
Use Revo Uninstaller Pro when uninstalling if you're on Windows. :)

3DGFXStudios
12-23-2013, 08:16 AM
Use Revo Uninstaller Pro when uninstalling if you're on Windows. :)

Why? Lightwave doens't add settings to the registry. Everything lives in the programs/newtek directory and the settings files in the user directory (.newtek). Simply delete these folders will "uninstall" LW. So no magic uninstallers needed.

spherical
12-23-2013, 03:19 PM
These are just my suggestions, based on previous experiences installing LW on a windows OS:

1. Uninstall 11.6.1
2. Delete config directory called 11.6.1 from the C:\Users\<yourusername>\.NewTek\LightWave
3. Make sure you run the Install.exe, unzipped (so not from the zip file) and RMB click 'Run as administrator'
4. Once the install has finished, go to the programs directory and find the layout.exe, modeler.exe and hub.exe for LW11.6.1 (mines under C:\Program Files\NewTek\LightWave11.6.1\bin) and RMB click 'Properties', Compatibility Tab and select 'run this program as an administrator'
5. Lauch Layout.exe
6. Drag licence key (which I presume you got from Lightwave3d.com - I ask because I know of an issue where someone was trying to use an incompatible licence key) onto the splash screen. Close layout.
7. Check that the licence key has been written to C:\Users\<username>\.NewTek\LightWave\11.6.1\licenses and that it's called LICENSE.LWK)
8. If not, copy LICENSE.LWK to C:\Users\<username>\.NewTek\LightWave\11.6.1\licenses
9. Open layout - check to see if it has worked.
10. If not, reboot and try to open layout again.
11. If not, I'm afraid I'm out of ideas

Let us know how it goes.

Cheers.

Disable anti-virus prior to starting the above list.

LW_Will
12-26-2013, 07:30 PM
Okay guys... I am the idoit here. ;-(

So, all it took was adding the licence.key for NevronMotion and rebooting. For BOTH programs (.6 and .6.1). Not sure why it works that way, but it sounds like something in the license driver to me. :-)

A few notes;

Waves of Light; I ALWAYS install with an Admistrator account. Always.

3DGFXStuios; I use the Microsoft Security Essentials and haven't had a false positive or virus since I started with Win7. MSE is that is not a strange process that Windows is trying to control, it is a normal regular process... that just has full control of Windows. ;-) It is cheap (read FREE) and, as I say, never had a problem. I suggest that you use it on your workstation as I do.

And I think that the process does write a few things into the reg editor. Mostly file positions and the like... things it can get from the program and not the system, I believe.

Thanks for all the help!

Happy Xmas and Merry New Year!