PDA

View Full Version : Instancing question in 11.6.1

medicalart
12-22-2013, 08:10 AM
Instance generation by polygon works fine with 1 instance per polygon, but are there native settings to place two (or more)instances on each polygon? Increasing "weight" more than 100% doesn't affect things.
One solution is to add a second instancer, and offset resulting instances. But that's not too handy if you want 10 or 20 instances per polygon.

gerry_g
12-22-2013, 04:47 PM
why not just go with the 'surface' setting instead and crank up the number, last time I wanted specific instances in certain places I made a new layer in modeler and sprayed points where I wanted them the then used heat shrink to conform them to my object then edited them at will which I found much better than the weight map approach, for one thing I found the instances didn't obey the weight map until I turned mip mapping off

medicalart
12-22-2013, 06:28 PM
I will try the spray points as you suggest. I had previously used the 3rd-party plugin HDInstance so I'm getting used to a slightly different approach.

3DGFXStudios
12-23-2013, 03:30 AM
Setting the instancer to Surface should work.

jwiede
12-29-2013, 02:04 PM
Hmm, not sure that's going to produce precisely what was requested, though (a specific number of instances per poly >1).

It would be quite useful if polygon mode supported greater than just a single instance per polygon. Even more useful would be added placement methods when in poly mode >1 (f.e. "vertex offset", "uniform edge offset", etc.), for cases like placing rivets and other "repeating" details.

gerry_g
01-02-2014, 04:39 PM
sorry just saw response, array will will place a grid x by y by z of instances identically on a per polly basis either as a lattice or a ring, when I wrote what I wrote I had just been using points in the manner described to place leaves on a terrain in a highly specific way and thought he was after something similar, but his request was so vague it was hard to second guess his intentions

jeric_synergy
01-02-2014, 05:38 PM
gerry_g, no matter, the mip-mapping tip was very valuable!