PDA

View Full Version : Instancer Question

maschinsky
12-21-2013, 01:50 PM
I am working on a highrise-building. I traditionally modelled the framework of the building — sidewalls, roof etc. and then I modelled 5 different balconies and windows. I then used the Instancer to randomly choose the balconies and windows to create a more random look of the building:

As a base-object for the instanced I used a layer of the building object with just points where the object origin of the instances should go. Then I parented the whole shebang—building, instancer-dots and the rest of it to a Null.

When I rotate the Null everything rotates as expected, save the instanced balconies. They behave strangely and rotate around their own axis or something.

Can someone point me in the direction how to fix this strange behaviour?

Help appreciated

Florian

Lewis
12-21-2013, 02:52 PM
What mode are your instances set to ? Parent, World or Local ?

kopperdrake
12-21-2013, 03:01 PM
Don't parent the whole thing to a null - just move/rotate the object rather than the null.

If you insist on parenting the building base to a null, when you rotate the building base, the instances attached to it keep their initial rotation values as they're *not* parented to the null. Parent them to the null too and it should work as you expect. Make sure in the Instance Generator you choose P for Parent for all of the instance objects' parenting setting (choice of World, Local or Parent).

- - - Updated - - -

Hehe - seems Lewis is on the same track :)

maschinsky
12-22-2013, 02:54 AM
I have no idea what the instances are set to, but I have a feeling that will solve my problem. I was actually looking for a setting like that, but could not find it. Where is it?

Thanks for your help!

Lewis
12-22-2013, 03:02 AM
I have no idea what the instances are set to, but I have a feeling that will solve my problem. I was actually looking for a setting like that, but could not find it. Where is it?

Thanks for your help!

Here

maschinsky
12-22-2013, 03:38 AM
I can't seem to wrap my head around this:

I tried the World/Local/Parent settings for the instancers and they PARTLY help. I rotated the building, by rotating the MOVER null everything is parented to and no matter what of the three options (World/Local/Parent) are selected—I hade W selected—the balconies twist weirdly.

When I have rotated my building to the angle I need, I did switch all instencers to L—which resulted in an even more weird twist—and back to W and lo and behold, the instances are neatly aligned to the building as it should be.

This behaviour is ok for this scene as I don't wanna animate the building, but what if that was a spaceship. Can't I just rotate an object with instances attached to it with this instances staying where they are in relation to the object that generates them? Both in rotation and position?

maschinsky
12-22-2013, 03:41 AM
Oh I just found out an even more funny thing: I don't need to change anything with the World/Local/Parent settings. I just need to rotate the building and switch all instencers OFF and ON again and everything is lined up...

* headscratch *

Lewis
12-22-2013, 04:11 AM
Might be just openGL glitch, did you tried to render when that odd thing happens ?