PDA

View Full Version : How to update LW 11.5 to 11.6.1

Eagle66
12-21-2013, 07:22 AM
After Installation LW 11.6.1 all Setups, Menu and User-Plugins are lost again.

There is still no User-friendly LW Update without many, many hand-work ..... :devil:

Phil
12-21-2013, 07:29 AM
Yes, that's by-design. Each set of configurations live in their own folders. This avoids the situation where obsolete plugins, broken references to plugins are carried over from an old version to a new version, and possibly avoids issues due to incompatible 3rd party plugins from a previous install (a lot has changed since 11.5 and there are some 3rd party plugins that have updates specifically for 11.6 compatibility)

It should be made easier to copy over core application settings, though, such as the settings in the preferences panel. Right now, the only things that can be relatively easily carried over are the key and menu settings, and you have to go to each of Layout and Modeler in turn to export those configurations. You can defeat some of this, although I wouldn't recommend it for everyone, by using configuration redirection.

3DGFXStudios
12-21-2013, 09:09 AM
Well. Exporting and importing config files (Menu and keys) shouldn't take longer than a minute. So that's not a lot of hand work if you ask me.

erikals
12-21-2013, 10:26 AM
Well. Exporting and importing config files (Menu and keys) shouldn't take longer than a minute. So that's not a lot of hand work if you ask me.

sort of, if the menus changed from LightWave 11.6 to 11.61 you will have to import branches too

here is how >

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6fDuhd3h9MY

Kryslin
12-21-2013, 11:11 AM
I got tired of moving things around a long time ago (9.6 cycle).

If you create your own menus, export the branches out before upgrading, and import them back in.

If using windows, you can use a symbolic link utility, and keep all your plugins in a completely different set of directories (x32 Plugins, x64 Plugins, My Lscripts).

The handwork involved in moving all of those over... 4 sets of "Pick Link Source" and "Drop Link As..." clicks.

It took me less than 10 minutes to install 32 bit and 64 bit versions, and have my tools available to me.

gjjackson
12-21-2013, 01:25 PM
I simply copied all the files and folders from the 11.6 to the11.6.1 user directory. I keep most everything in that directory for this reason.

Waves of light
12-21-2013, 01:42 PM
I simply copied all the files and folders from the 11.6 to the11.6.1 user directory. I keep most everything in that directory for this reason.

Yes, but remember, Eagle66 is going from 11.5 to 11.6.1 and if you copy configs from 11.5 it will change the menus and you will hide/lose some of the newer functions with 11.6.1 So be careful.

I never change any of the main tabs. I add a new tab for plugins and LWCAD tabs. I also have a lot of functions setup on my CTRL+SHIFT+RMB/LMB/MMB so I need to do what Erikals suggests and save out menu trees or hack the configs. That way I'm not interfering with any new functions or menus.

Kuzey
12-21-2013, 02:04 PM
Speaking of Menu config files..it would be nice if:

a) you can save your menu layout to the preset menu(with edit/remove/delete options) or
b) have LW load menu config files like plugins..just pop them in a menu subfolder & you're good to go :)

Anybody for a feature request :)

ps. it would be double nice..if you can move the menu preset menu to the main workspace for easy access..hint..hint!

Waves of light
12-21-2013, 02:26 PM
Speaking of Menu config files..it would be nice if:

a) you can save your menu layout to the preset menu(with edit/remove/delete options) or
b) have LW load menu config files like plugins..just pop them in a menu subfolder & you're good to go :)

Anybody for a feature request :)

ps. it would be double nice..if you can move the menu preset menu to the main workspace for easy access..hint..hint!

Gets my vote! It would help if you could select the highest member in the hierarchical mouse button menus and select 'export branch', but you can't. You have to select each child and export branch. That's such a pain, that I often hack the configs, as it's quicker and easier.

Kuzey
12-21-2013, 02:40 PM
Gets my vote! It would help if you could select the highest member in the hierarchical mouse button menus and select 'export branch', but you can't. You have to select each child and export branch. That's such a pain, that I often hack the configs, as it's quicker and easier.

Yes indeed..that whole workflow needs an overhaul..including selecting multiple menu items and or branches when moving things around.

Eagle66
12-22-2013, 01:21 PM
Okay, thanks for the hints. There seems no unique solutions... Also from NT in the readme or the manual is not any description for moving plugins, keys or all user settings.

Every update is a nightmare of work.

3DGFXStudios
12-22-2013, 03:32 PM
Okay, thanks for the hints. There seems no unique solutions... Also from NT in the readme or the manual is not any description for moving plugins, keys or all user settings.

Every update is a nightmare of work.

If you think installing an update is an nightmare, your nerd level is to low. ;) (just kidding :D)

Eagle66
12-25-2013, 03:59 PM
If you think installing an update is an nightmare, your nerd level is to low. ;) (just kidding :D)

Helpfull post ... If you have no plugins, not. How long do you need to move all keys, menus, and settings? I can post tons of things you loose and have to edit and install again. For example the last open file lists in modeler and layout are also away...

Kuzey
12-25-2013, 04:11 PM
Helpfull post ... If you have no plugins, not. How long do you need to move all keys, menus, and settings? I can post tons of things you loose and have to edit and install again. For example the last open file lists in modeler and layout are also away...

Find your lw11.5 config folder & move the modeler 11 & layout 11 files into the LW11.6.1 config folder..launch Modeler & Layout :)

spherical
12-26-2013, 09:31 PM
Ummm, no. Polluting a fresh install with a previous version's configs is never a good idea. Hasn't been for, idanno, ever. Save menu and key settings by exporting to their own config files and import them into the new version. I don't even do that. When the menus change in a new version, you risk screwing that up; unless you have created all of your specifics on completely new tabs.

erikals
12-27-2013, 02:01 AM
true, i found this out the 'hard' way, as some menus had changed from one version of LightWave to another.

OFF
12-27-2013, 02:04 AM
Very strange thing - if I disconnect the "Auto Scan plugin" - I get a blank menu and no manipulation of the configuration files can not get them back.
In the previous episode with Lightwave updating I had to just delete the folder with the old config, this time, this number is not passed.

Kuzey
12-27-2013, 04:11 AM
Ummm, no. Polluting a fresh install with a previous version's configs is never a good idea. Hasn't been for, idanno, ever. Save menu and key settings by exporting to their own config files and import them into the new version. I don't even do that. When the menus change in a new version, you risk screwing that up; unless you have created all of your specifics on completely new tabs.

I have a tab setup just for the tools I use all the time. Still..you can delete all the menu items from the text file and it reverts to the default settings.

Anyway, this system needs an overhaul (been discussed recently). What would be nice is if there is a visual indication what new menus has been added/changed, or better yet, if you import menu settings form an old version, you get a warning "some menu items have been changed..these have been highlighted red so you can edit them..kinda thing"

Kuzey

Eagle66
12-28-2013, 04:36 AM
Okay, in the answers i see, there seems no supported workflow at the moment for LW Updating without loosing every User settings, Paths, Menus, etc.

So, with every LW Update/Upgrade you always start from scratch and you have figure out whats the efficient way to get all your things back.

Perhaps the LW Developer don't ignore this weakness - other 2D/3D Software handles Updates in a much better way....

egearbox
12-28-2013, 10:26 AM
I'm glad I found this thread - just about to take the 11.5-->11.6.1 plunge. As a noob/hobbyist I don't have tons of customizations - I may just uninstall 11.5 and then install 11.6.1. My tiny little noob brain can only handle one version at a time anyway. :D

erikals
01-03-2014, 04:53 AM
new video, this is how you do it > http://erikalstad.com/backup/misc.php_files/smile.gif

http://youtu.be/gxaES-udluE

Eagle66
01-05-2014, 10:13 AM
Okay - nice thanks. The menus import is the easiest part, its only time consuming when you have many of them in Layout and Modeler

You loose for every update:
- RecentContent Dir's in Modeler and RecentSceneFile in Layout
- all User Settings (Path, Custom Windows Layout, Script Settings, global render settings, Light settings, Hotkeys, Presets-Root-Path
- keys and settings for commercial PlugIns, LWCAD and others needs Admin-Rights for Registration

I tried to copy most of this settings from the old "LW11-64.CFG" and "LWM11-64.CFG" to the new ones - but again LW Updates are horrible ....

erikals
01-05-2014, 06:01 PM
true, it would be nice if it was a 1 button click...

for now though it works out ok, if one knows how to go about it...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SxeIdRlINyk

Waves of light
01-06-2014, 03:01 AM
true, it would be nice if it was a 1 button click...

+1

Oedo 808
01-06-2014, 08:55 PM
I'd love to have LightWave check for updates and be able to apply them as a patch, I thought it was just me who found upgrading somewhat irksome.

I often load a surface preset to darken the polygon colour and add a touch of spec, does anyone know if there is a way to set/edit the default polygon surface parameters?

jasonwestmas
01-06-2014, 09:05 PM
DO NOT USE OLD CONFIGS. You'll get major problems.

erikals
01-07-2014, 02:19 AM
I often load a surface preset to darken the polygon colour and add a touch of spec, does anyone know if there is a way to set/edit the default polygon surface parameters?

there is no settings for this, although you can create an AHK script that does it in one click.

Oedo 808
01-07-2014, 04:42 AM
there is no settings for this, although you can create an AHK script that does it in one click.

Ahh well, thanks for letting me know. I might look into doing it with AHK, I have used it for gaming but I've not been that keen on using it to do stuff in other programmes, that might change.

Eagle66
01-07-2014, 12:03 PM
DO NOT USE OLD CONFIGS. You'll get major problems.

Thats right, but you can copy parts which don't changed from the old .cfg to the new .cfg. So, you don't loose everything each time.....

erikals
01-07-2014, 12:29 PM
yep, like shown in post #23

jasonwestmas
01-09-2014, 04:44 PM
yeah you're generally safe using menu branches and other simple features. I would just discourage people from simply copying their configs from their 11.5 folders and putting them in the 11.6 folders and expect perfect results. In fact I would guarantee major issues with any plugin that gets fixes or changes between releases like FFX often does.

erikals
01-09-2014, 08:27 PM
yes, did that once, didn't turn out well... :O