PDA

View Full Version : Error between Videocopilots plug-in Element 3S and LW object files!

jaxtone
12-20-2013, 12:41 PM
Hi!

Can someone pleaase check up this obj file I exported as a test from LW for Videcopilots plugin Element 3D.

The file isnīt visible in Element 3D and I wonder if it is something weird with the file I donīt see here?

Jack

tommyc
12-20-2013, 01:00 PM
I can't see in Element 3d and I get an error when trying to load it into LW.

djwaterman
12-20-2013, 02:00 PM
Get an error in modeler and it loads in as 5 points.

jeric_synergy
12-20-2013, 03:50 PM
Post the LWO and the OBJ.

jaxtone
12-20-2013, 04:10 PM
Here is the LWO file!

Thanks guys for helping me with this!

The more info I get the more it looks like the Lightwave support team has been wrong all the time!

There is something weird with my copy of Lightwaves import and export functions!

Jack

madno
12-21-2013, 12:36 AM
Also got an error with your obj. But the LWO laoded fine. Exported it to obj with my LW installation. Seems to be ok in Element3D. Sorry, I don't have an idea why export does not work on your side.

jaxtone
12-22-2013, 01:46 AM
Ok, the Lightwave support team just gave me more headache since they didnīt see that there were no problem at all with non of the files. Very strange since all of you discovered problems with the exported OBJ file. Anyway, I just downloaded LW version 11.6.1 because I hoped for something better in it when it comes to export functions that does not screw things up. Can you please try the attached file and see if it comes up as a functional OBJ file in Lightwave and for those of you who have access to other 3D or 2D softwares especially Element3D give a report from these items?

Jack

50one
12-22-2013, 03:08 AM
Ok, the Lightwave support team just gave me more headache since they didnīt see that there were no problem at all with non of the files. Very strange since all of you discovered problems with the exported OBJ file. Anyway, I just downloaded LW version 11.6.1 because I hoped for something better in it when it comes to export functions that does not screw things up. Can you please try the attached file and see if it comes up as a functional OBJ file in Lightwave and for those of you who have access to other 3D or 2D softwares especially Element3D give a report from these items?

Jack

I opened the cube in Modo and 3dsmax and it looks OK, apart from the normal flipped. To be honest .obj format is a *****, usually I would try exprot the obj to Blender and then resize and export again as obj.
Ģdsmax got shitload of presets when it comes to obj, not sure if it only affects the scale and Zpos tho.

djwaterman
12-22-2013, 03:19 AM
And Blender was okay with it, but not Lightwave.

jaxtone
12-22-2013, 04:01 AM
Hi djwaternan!

It seems to me that the problem with corrupted OBJ export from LW started with the update after 11.5. I have used LW since 1996 and never had these problems before.

Now I found this website http://www.greentoken.de/onlineconv/ and let their online converter handle my native LWO file... there you go, there was no problems at all importing it in Element3D.

But the question is how come the Lightwave support team canīt see the error in this OBJ file when everyone else seems to experience problems with the OBJ file that comes with my native Lightwave export function?

Thanks anyway
Jack

jaxtone
12-22-2013, 04:07 AM
50one!

One true thing that not even the most fanatic Lightwave user can deny is the fact that Lightwave have a very narrow, almost naive OBJ exporter. Where are the functions to correct and specify it for different suites? As it is now it pops up in After Effects as a OBJ file that only can be performed with Trapcodes Form. And as far as I know Trapcode Form isnīt the only program in the world that were mentioned to open up wavefronts OBJ format :)

Anyway when things like this happend there are so many hours dissappearing that couldīve been used for better issues. I know Im not the only customer but it would for sure be nice if Lightwave support team were available around the clock!

Jack

jeric_synergy
12-22-2013, 10:05 AM
So, SOMEBODY has submitted this to Fogbugz, right? Right?

jaxtone
12-22-2013, 11:01 AM
I use to send in my questions, request for help to this address:

https://www.lightwave3d.com/contact/

Is this the wrong place?

So, SOMEBODY has submitted this to Fogbugz, right? Right?

jeric_synergy
12-22-2013, 11:43 AM
Look for Chuck Baker's sticky on reporting bugs.

jaxtone
12-22-2013, 12:47 PM
Can you please advice where I found FogBugz or a link to Chuck Bakerīs shack!

Jack

3DGFXStudios
12-22-2013, 03:35 PM
Have you guys checked the obj settings in the preferences?

jaxtone
12-22-2013, 05:17 PM
This is how it looks like at my side! I actually havenīt touched it, this is what it looks like by default! Is there something weird with this please tell me?

Have you guys checked the obj settings in the preferences?

3DGFXStudios
12-23-2013, 03:37 AM
You could try switching most of it of except obj one layer. The Reverse ka & kd setting depends on the software you want to import it in.

jaxtone
12-23-2013, 11:13 AM
Ok, Iīll try different choices and get back soon!

Thankīs, Jack

madno
12-26-2013, 12:03 PM
It seems Element3D does not like the vmap.

jaxtone
12-26-2013, 04:57 PM
Madno!

Are you sure the attached setup without vmap chosen was the only thing you changed. Because when I try the same thing this is what comes up!

I donīt understand how you managed doing this by only removing the vmap thing! When I import my newly produced dummy Element3D is totally empty!

Jack

madno
12-27-2013, 03:13 AM
Yes it was the only change (loaded your LWO and exported it to obj). But I had another look into the whole thing. The reason why I can't open your obj (neither in Element nor in LW) seems to be comma versus dot related. See screenshots. Maybe you can get it to work by changing your OS language settings (my Windows is set to English)?

jaxtone
12-27-2013, 03:37 AM
Madno, oh, my! You must be the most intelligent person that used his creative mind to look at the right places this far!

I will investigate at my place and see how and why this is possible!

I never wanter to argue with the computer company that built my machine since they already ****** things up for six months.
But they actually installed an OS with native Swedish on it. ****! This could be a part of the problem! But how come that neither
the support team at Newtek or DAZ found out that dots and commas could screw things up like this?

Jack

madno
12-27-2013, 04:05 AM
No no, I am not an intelligent person; it is more like "even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while" ;-)
Or two nuts. Because here is another one.
The OBJ export always writes a "default" group into the obj - even if the LWO does not have it at all.
If no groups are set explicitly, all polys belong to one group which is defined by the surface name (in your case "Cube").
But LW exports two groups "default" and "Cube".
Element reads that as two meshes.
This just as an additional information.

OBJ spec. is here:
http://www.martinreddy.net/gfx/3d/OBJ.spec

jeric_synergy
12-27-2013, 12:52 PM
Oyyyy veh. Looks like someone needs to take the OBJ exporter and wring it out. :(

That's good diagnostic info there, madno. :thumbsup:

jaxtone
12-28-2013, 12:24 AM
... could there be some way to change Lightwaveīs inner settings so it does what it is supposed to even of the OS is Swedish? With that I mean that Lighwave will operate with dots instead of commas!

... Now I have changed all possible settings for languages and system text in my Windows 7. Uninstalled Lightwave 11.6.1 and shut the computer down. Started it again and re-installed Lightwave but still...

LIGHTWAVE is adding commas instead if dots to every exported OBJ-file from LIGHTWAVES export choice!

This feels so strange and uncomfortable to me... thought a software would be designed to do what it are supposed to wheter I am Chines, African or a pale white man from Sweden! I feel discriminated... hehehe... no I am not, but very frustrated, angry and desperate in getting things back to normal when talking of 3D communication between softwares.

Jack

madno
12-29-2013, 12:21 AM
Sorry, I am running out of ideas. Seems so that LW ignores the language settings. On my install (Windows 7 Prof.64 bit English) it writes dots regardless of whether I set the numbering to German (1.000,00) or US (1,000.00) style. I found no setting in all the configs which look like they control this either.
Maybe the LW installer reads the OS setting during install?
I think it is time to open a ticket, asking the LW3D Group support team.
Please keep us updated because others might run into this as well.

Ma3rk
12-29-2013, 09:33 AM
Hi!

Can someone pleaase check up this obj file I exported as a test from LW for Videcopilots plugin Element 3D.

The file isnīt visible in Element 3D and I wonder if it is something weird with the file I donīt see here?

Jack

I haven't fired up the Lightwave system yet this morning to look at your test files, but wondering which version of Element 3D you are using? I had an issue in the most recent version where imported obj's wouldn't work properly when using them to generate other particles at their vertices. Apparently it's a know issue and dropping back to the previous version resolved the problem. I've no idea if it's related but ...

Haven't updated to 11.61 but LWO's saved as OBJ's in 11.6 worked fine for me in Element 3D, other than having to scale up ~ 100X which seems to be the norm for AE plugs that use obj files (Trapcode Form for example).

M.

jaxtone
12-29-2013, 09:34 AM
I will for sure keep you updated with information from the support. Is it appropriate to paste them into this thread?

One thing is strange, funny or tragical. When I first mentioned this problem for the support team at Lightwave and told them that myself and loads of people recognized my exported OBJ files as corrupted, what do you think they answered?

""- ... able to load them fine here!""

My bad luck... but I still wanna know what kind of system the support team runs that are able to open files that no one else or most people canīt open at all! :)

Jack

jaxtone
12-29-2013, 04:12 PM
Hi Mark3!

I guess it wouldnīt matter whether I have an old or new version of Element3D when Lightwave create commas instead of dots. But I guess my version 1.6.2 is the latest!

Build: Element x64 1.6.2 (480)
CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3820 CPU @ 3.60GHz
RAM: 16327MB
GPU Vendor: NVIDIA Corporation
GPU: GeForce GTX 780/PCIe/SSE2
GPU Driver: 9.18.13.2723
GPU RAM: 3072MB
GPU Code: 0

I haven't fired up the Lightwave system yet this morning to look at your test files, but wondering which version of Element 3D you are using? I had an issue in the most recent version where imported obj's wouldn't work properly when using them to generate other particles at their vertices. Apparently it's a know issue and dropping back to the previous version resolved the problem. I've no idea if it's related but ...

Haven't updated to 11.61 but LWO's saved as OBJ's in 11.6 worked fine for me in Element 3D, other than having to scale up ~ 100X which seems to be the norm for AE plugs that use obj files (Trapcode Form for example).

M.

Ma3rk
12-30-2013, 12:52 AM
Yes, that's what I initially downloaded after purchase. It took a bit of poking around on the Video Co-Pilot site to find the previous version, but eventually did. I haven't checked in a couple weeks to see if an update has been released. The 1.6.2 version deals with some issues on the JetStrike Pack rigging I'm told. I don't have that so would rather have the rest of the functionality.

As others, I couldn't open your obj file in 11.6 or 11.5.

M.

DigitalDeuce
04-02-2014, 11:44 AM
the "cube from LW" in the first post, had an issue due to the localization -- it was saved from "Swedish" LightWave, and had "commas" instead of "periods" - this has been fixed. I can load the original LWO object into 11.6.2 and save out an OBJ that doesn't have that issue, and loads fine into Max, XSI, Rhino, Maya, and so far, anything that I can get my hands on. We're really trying to get OBJ 'correct' and it does get hard when folks aren't using the current version that has all our fixes in it.

If you do run into an issue - please report to the reporter - so we have it all in one place, that's easy to search and deal with.

jaxtone
04-03-2014, 02:40 AM
After months of unwanted interruption in my production caused by a serious problem in Lightwaveīs OBJ exporter when using a Swedish OS, everything seems to be cool by now. I am glad for that and have even re-installed the OS to one with an American English, to not experience any future language problems in the programīs source. Maybe itīs pointless but about not using the official sources for support I must remind you that it was actually Madno here at the Lightwave Forum that came to the right conclusion after only a few replies, and that was after I had tried tried for months to get support from all software suppliers I use. By Madnoīs private investigation and basic information about the commas versus the dots things started to happen officially as well and the rest is history.

Not saying this to grade someoneīs effort in helping me but just wanna say that two pair of eyes mostly see more than... so if I futurewise donīt get help from official sources I will of course use this forum as well since I believe that is one of the main points with having a forum for special interests, professional work or hobby desires.

So, a big thank you both to the support team at Newtek, Deuce, Madno and all others that participated with good advices and creativity to solve this!

Regards,
Jack