PDA

View Full Version : Live Text: Stand-in Logos

TimD
12-18-2013, 02:53 PM
Hello Everyone:

I have a new 860 with a separate LiveText laptop. I am using TXT LINKER to create all my lower thirds and other graphics for basketball games at the college I work for. What I want to know is, is there a similar mechanism for logos? In other words, can I specify a .png filename in some text file somewhere, similar to what I currently do for players names, numbers, etc. and have it applied to all my lower thirds, and other graphics?

I have been reading about Stand-In Logos and just not quite sure if they are the solution (or if there is even a solution).

Thanks for taking a look at this!

kltv
12-19-2013, 10:36 AM
You can. It works in basically the same way. In your text file, specify the full path to the image, like "CoolLogo=D:\SomeProject\Images\YourLogo.png."

Then in LiveText, in the layers tab, change the label for your image to the variable name. In this case, "%CoolLogo%." You should also be able to just right-click on the image on the canvas and select the variable name too.

Kris

TimD
12-20-2013, 12:25 PM
THIS IS FANTASTIC NEWS! Just one more question. Will it remain the size I have sized it down to? Or does it need to be created as the proper size? Thanks!

TimD
12-22-2013, 10:37 PM
Either I am doing something wrong, or this doesn't work. Here is a snippet from my file:

VisitingTeam = Southern Utah
VisitingShortName = SUU
VisitingTeamNickname = Thunderbirds
VisitingTeamRecord = (1-7)
VisitingLogo = C:\TeamLogos\SUU.png

When I right-click and select "VisitingLogo", all that shows up on the screen is "C:\TeamLogos\SUU.png", not the image itself. I also tried to change the name in the layers section to %VisitingLogo%... same result. Can you tell me please, have I done something incorrecty?

ZachSchuster
12-23-2013, 11:32 AM
You need to create a blank image of the same resolution that your stand ins will be. Add that image to your CG page. Right click the image and select the visitinglogo ID.

Shazam.

TimD
12-26-2013, 02:50 PM
Thanks Shazam for the reply. So, if I understand this correctly, if I create a blank image, for example, a blank or empty .png file, place it on my lower third, then right-click it and select VisitingLogo, that will do the trick?

Thanks again,
-Tim

ZachSchuster
12-27-2013, 09:32 AM
Yes. Although, my name is Zach. The shazam was more a comment that the magic of datalink will work. Although I do like the nickname...

TimD
12-27-2013, 02:50 PM
How about ShaZach? Or ZachZam? Sorry about the flub.

I got it to work last night. However, I did notice a little weirdness, but I think I worked around it. The school logos I was provided were huge PNG files. When I did the replacement, they still showed up too big for my lower third. I played around with re-sizing and reloading. Still did not work out so good. So, I took the logos and made them all 125 pixels square. When I did the replacement, they were way too small. So I stretched them out and tried doing more replacements. Some of the logos were still too big. So, I took the biggest one, sized it to fit and now all the rest fit nicely. Some could be a bit bigger, but, I'd rather have the ease of use. The people working for me that will be updating these are not all that computer savvy. Anything I can do to make their job easier makes my life easier too.

Thanks again Zach! HAPPY NEW YEAR!
-Tim

kltv
12-27-2013, 03:00 PM
I would suggest making a placeholder at size and scaling all your logos to match the placeholder size and appropriately fill the page. It is best to have those consistent images if you want to be able to swap things out easily and have everything look right.

Kris

m4a2000
01-06-2014, 12:29 PM
Would something like this interfere with your plugin Kris?

kltv
01-06-2014, 04:51 PM
You could use them at the same time if you wanted to. I don't drive any of those from text files, but I have in the past written elements to text files or uploaded/downloaded them from FTP etc. So, it is possible.

Kris