PDA

View Full Version : UI Benchmark, Instancing Benchmark

dulo
12-17-2013, 01:33 PM
In a little project I am working on we used quite heavy instancing. There are 3500 instancing plugins which instance around 10.000 object. The project was split into 10 setup-scenes which were merged near the end of the project. We were quite happy with the rendering performance of this heavy scene, but the userinterface was totally overwhelmed. I was reminded of times of LW 9.6 when I tried to open a scene with 2000 Null objects... More or less nothing in the scene but lightwave couldnt handle it...
I wanted to share this scene and collect your experience with you rig.
Can you navigate the scene ? Whats you lag ?
Can you delete objects from the scene ? How long does it take ?
How long does it take you to recursivly delete one branch in the scene ? How long does it take ? ( for me I waited 28 minutes to delete 100 nulls )
Does Load from scene work for you with this scene ? ( load the scene into a fresh one )
Does Package scene work for you ?
Does bake instances work for you ? Be carefull not to bake all instances ( especially trees and screws ). I stopped the process after it allocated 96 GB of ram ..

For me the only thing which really works for this scene is F9

The sad thing is I exported the scene to clarisse and it handles this scene like its nothing. It takes about 4 seconds to load and the navigation shows no lag at all !! You never have to wait more than a tenth of a second ..
So I hope that Lightwave 11.6.1 will handle this little benchmark even faster !!

Phil
12-17-2013, 02:23 PM
I'd actually suggest submitting it via FogBugz so the developers might get to see it.

jwiede
12-18-2013, 02:36 AM
The sad thing is I exported the scene to clarisse and it handles this scene like its nothing. It takes about 4 seconds to load and the navigation shows no lag at all !! You never have to wait more than a tenth of a second ..

Clarisse's development is coming along nicely. They're still a fairly small company, yet they're sustaining a brisk pace of development.

dulo
12-18-2013, 03:50 AM
Clarisse's development is coming along nicely. They're still a fairly small company, yet they're sustaining a brisk pace of development.
I have quite a good impression from Clarisse. Expecially if you look at the age of the application. More or less clarisse is what I would have expected from CORE ..
But still we work with lightwave since version 5.6 and would like to do it in the future, but we too often hit the boundaries ...
Thats why I thought of posting REAL WORLD scenes ( the simple proxy version ) with which we drive against the Wall ..

Hieron
12-18-2013, 08:37 AM
Yes, large scenes and UI refreshes can be an issue. Sure hope it is being addressed by LW3DG, please do Fogbugz this.

dulo
12-18-2013, 08:43 AM
Yes, large scenes and UI refreshes can be an issue. Sure hope it is being addressed by LW3DG, please do Fogbugz this.

I have been working on this project for about two years now and I have fogbuzzed this scene at least 10 times with several issues .. NT even has the original non-proxy version of this scene...
In 11.6.1 there should already be some optimizations for null instancing included which should speed this scene up a lot, but there are still many unresolved issues .. ( all fogbuzzed of course .. )
Working with Lightwave really isnt much fun at the moment ( with this project ). Everything craws and LW crashes about 30 times per day ..
I try to save after each successful action, but the scene takes ages to save .. :-(