PDA

View Full Version : how? wire frame screens in the scene..

cresshead
11-17-2003, 09:03 AM
hi
i've seen quite a few of this type of effect in various films [red planet, rough necks and most recently te dave school dvd demo#5]

basically i've made a screen model and placed it in the scene of a landscape for a test..what i want to see on the screen is a wire frame version of the sceen but have the rest of the scene in a normal render style...i've tried having a camera looking thru the screen and getting the screen to be ignored by the renderer but this does it but not how i want to se it exactly..

think of the screen as a sheet of glass and that anything behind it needs to be wire frame... but i want to see that not thru a camera pinting thru the screen model but via a camera off to he side..

can;t quite grasp how to set it up as yet....

any thoughts?

steve g

cresshead
11-17-2003, 09:07 AM
here's a screen grab...

cresshead
11-17-2003, 09:09 AM
maybe this is really a job for a post effect in after effects/fusion or combustion....

steve g

Proj
11-17-2003, 03:06 PM
Hi Cresshead

Here is a quick render of the effect..you can composite this in lightwave

1.Place a black plane in front of camera with a cutout hole
2.Parent plane to camera
3.Make plane unseen by camera in properties
4.Create camera animation with your model and save animation
5.Change materials turn on rendered edges.There might be a better way to do that.....use wireframe etc.
6.Make plane visible again and tick 'matte object'
7.render again with different file name-this is your 'x-ray'vision
8.render a still of just your plane but put a white plane in front of the hole(this is your alpha)so you have a white box in a black screen.
Now hit Compositing.
9.place first file in background
10.second file in foreground
11.and the still in alpha
12.Render out

Forgive any mistakes i just converted to lightwave two months ago.. thanks

Proj
11-17-2003, 03:24 PM
oops, couldnt attach. I have emailed it to you.