PDA

View Full Version : Running installed LW from another partition

greg.reyna
12-15-2013, 11:32 PM
This is probably a dumb question. I've been running Lightwave 11.6 (and older versions back to 9.6) on an 8-core Mac Pro running OS 10.6.8 (Snow Leopard). On a separate partition I just installed Mac OS 10.8.5 (Mountain Lion). I'm wondering if I need to re-install LW on the Mountain Lion partition, or if I can just run the Snow Leopard installed versions. If this were possible, I imagine I'd have to copy the user/Library/Application Support/Newtek folders over to the same location in the new OS.

Thanks,
Greg

lertola2
12-16-2013, 08:52 PM
You do not have to re install the program but you do need to copy or rebuild your preference files. If you created a folder in your Lightwave 11.6 folder called Preferences Lightwave will store its preferences there. I find this simpler than hunting for them in the Library folder especially in OSX 10.9 where the Library folder is hidden. Also you can get OSX 10.9 Mavericks for free from the Apple App Store if you want the most current version. I have had no problem using Lightwave on OSX 10.9.

Phil
12-17-2013, 10:27 AM
I'm not sure I follow the question entirely, but I expect you'll need to reinstall in order to have LW run without its hardware key installed (in order to get the firewall rules set up). If you are happy to run with the dongle, I don't think the install is required.

greg.reyna
12-17-2013, 01:41 PM
Thanks, I didn't want to just run LW blindly. Your two replies give me a good picture of what's being installed. My usual practice is to create a Preferences folder that lives in the first level of each version installation, so I'm covered there. I'll copy the folders within ~/Library/Application Support/NewTek over to the new OS, and I should be good to go. Dongle still plugged in.

I decided to install Mountain Lion since it's been around for over a year, so I assume the developers are familiar with it. If I run into a problem, I don't want to be confused as to whether it's from an OS conflict, or LW 11.6, which as we know is in need of a patch.