PDA

View Full Version : Let's have a competition for the worst country to be a CG professional

saranine
12-15-2013, 09:56 PM
I present to you a worthy entrant for the worst country for CG: Australia.

1. You will never be able to purchase numerous CG tools. Autodesk will price gouge you by 160 to 200%. That's basically 6000 bucks for Maya for you and 3000 bucks in the US. Ouch.

2. Forget about ever getting V Ray. It isn't sold in Australia. At least not as a stand alone. However if you were in the most obscure Caribbean island then you could buy V Ray.

3. Forget about any on campus teaching worthy of the name. It's a joke here. Go to Digital Tutors or Gnomon or Lynda instead.

4. But as absolute proof I present the main course of why this country is a stinking pile of manure for a CG career: the state of the internet. http://www.theguardian.com/news/datablog/interactive/2013/dec/15/compare-internet-speed-worldwide

Moreover, we have plans to make our internet even worse: http://www.afr.com/p/national/welcome_to_the_real_world_nbn_we_YJe10gQfG7YGRU2Pe fMGWM

Many people can't get broadband at all. Or if it rains then the copper rots and your internet is stuffed. And we love copper. We are continuing to use it. That weird fibre technology. We don't want that. That stuff is stupid.

Welcome to a stinking cesspit of garbage called your CG future in Australia.

Lightwolf
12-16-2013, 03:34 AM
4) Considering that the US is that much better, that's no argument. Especially since it's an average.
Obviously, if you require high-speed internet, you shouldn't set-up shop in the outback either. ;)

Not the worst at all... especially considering that there's numerous white spots on the map when it comes to cg.

#firstworldproblems ;)

Cheers,
Mike

glebe digital
12-16-2013, 03:58 AM
1. Draftsight is free & reads/writes to dwg. Does everything I needed Acad for back in the day......is it imperative you use Maya? There's othe SW out there, change is good.

2. Who uses vray as a standalone? All other flavours seem to be available in Oz.

3. Ah the days before the 'education industry' got their fingers into the CG pie. Those were the days!

4. Few of us have the speeds of Japan & South Korea.......of course it would be nice to have fibre but we can still make a perfectly good living. Imagine what is was like uploading work with 28.8 kbit/s dial-up.

"Everything's amazing & nobody's happy"
L-CK

OnlineRender
12-16-2013, 04:06 AM
100 meg line ...pretty decent upload speeds 4-6 meg although atm I am back down to 30 meg and it feels like dial up

MarcusM
12-16-2013, 04:17 AM
I checked now polish internet provider UPC, 60Mb/s or 250Mb/s is sick ;]
http://www.upc.pl/internet/
4,2 EUR -1 zł
3 USD - 1zł

cresshead
12-16-2013, 05:53 AM
1. N. Korea
2. syria
3. afganistan
4. C.A.R.
5. somalia

RebelHill
12-16-2013, 06:02 AM
1. N. Korea

Oh I dont know... seems to be plenty of roto work going, painting officials who've fallen into ill favour out of history.

djwaterman
12-16-2013, 06:56 AM
Well if you require hi speed broadband you just pay for it and they come and fix it up, unless you live in a far rural outpost, and some incredible GC work gets done here, like anywhere now days I suppose, nothing to boast about since everyone's doing it. In fact our problem is much like everywhere, too many people doing CG with artists prepared to undercut budget just to get the work and agencies all too willing to give them a try. Of course you can get Vray, what the hell are you going on about, that's what everyone's using. And your on the right track self educating with online tutorials anyway. Getting into a CG career is hard anywhere right now and probably not a good choice unless you really love it and wouldn't do anything else.

Lightwolf
12-16-2013, 07:00 AM
Getting into a CG career is hard anywhere right now and probably not a good choice unless you really love it and wouldn't do anything else.
Was it ever any different? It just seems more obvious nowadays. ;)

Cheers,
Mike

jeric_synergy
12-16-2013, 10:23 AM
I think there was a time, say around the "SeaQuest" era, where if you could turn on a computer and draw a circle you could get a job. LONG gone though.

Or so I mumble into my beer.

saranine
12-18-2013, 02:57 AM
Kangaroo land is still the worst.

I win :)

Netvudu
12-18-2013, 10:33 AM
Was it ever any different? It just seems more obvious nowadays. ;)

Cheers,
Mike

Quoted for agreement. :)

shrox
12-18-2013, 12:54 PM
How locations in a country? Eureka, California seems the be the worst place to be for CG professionals...

- - - Updated - - -

I think there was a time, say around the "SeaQuest" era, where if you could turn on a computer and draw a circle you could get a job. LONG gone though.

Or so I mumble into my beer.

Yep, that was a good time. Now though, it means you've got 20 years experience so you are old...

Sensei
12-18-2013, 02:26 PM
I checked now polish internet provider UPC, 60Mb/s or 250Mb/s is sick ;]
http://www.upc.pl/internet/
4,2 EUR -1 zł
3 USD - 1zł

UPC is literally shiit.
I have 120 Mbps in UPC for 50$/m, and it's working 28 Mbps, the fastest ever download was 38 Mbps.
They bought super great operator Aster, where I had 120 Mbps bought, and I was never receiving less than 60 Mbps, and at night it was working 90 Mbps easily and steadily.
The maximum that I got in Aster was 110 Mbps if I recall correctly.

How bad is UPC in other department than just speed is yet another story...
Breaking connection day by day, hour by hour, for a few seconds or minutes - regular, every single day, thing. When you will complain, sending them nasty mail, it's automagically immediately fixed remotely, and after couple days 3+ it's going back to the same shiit as before..

Line is same, modem is same, as it was in Aster. Just IP changed from public static, to private IP (so no more hosting ftp/www/servers).

jeric_synergy
12-18-2013, 04:15 PM
Yep, that was a good time. Now though, it means you've got 20 years experience so you are old...
Nahhh, I just got 1 year experience, twenty times. :bangwall: