PDA

View Full Version : Saving Nulls?????

Seeking Buddha
12-15-2013, 05:27 PM
I have a complicated character that requires many nulls for his many appendages. I had him all set up in a scene as was working fine, then I placed him in a new scene and now I have no nulls. Is there a way to keep the nulls and keep the bones set so I don't have to reconvert from skelegons to make bones over again and then have to add all the nulls and set them up again?

Thank you in advance for any help.

Seeking Buddha

jeric_synergy
12-15-2013, 05:33 PM
That's a good question!!! I thought it would leap out at me, but it certainly does not.

PLUS, I note that the IMPORT/EXPORT File menu option is rather ambiguous-- just looking at it it seems heavy on the EXPORT and not so much on the IMPORT.

Ryan Roye
12-15-2013, 06:31 PM
To be clear, what method are you using to transfer the character to the new scene?

What I usually do is store the character by themselves in a scene file and use "Load From Scene" whenever I wish to place a character into a new scene.

RebelHill
12-15-2013, 06:39 PM
You can't save nulls (other than as part of the scene file) and all that doesnt save to the object... so I presume you've just loaded the mesh into a new scene.

Use load from scene to bring one scene's contents into another.

Seeking Buddha
12-16-2013, 03:41 PM
Thank you for the quick responses. I will try to load from Scene and see how that works. Just a question if this is the answer it seems like you should rig a character in a scene by its self and then always make your adaptations in the original scene and then always load it in new scenes from there? Does that sound right?

RebelHill
12-16-2013, 04:08 PM
yes... basically.

bobakabob
12-16-2013, 04:13 PM
That's one way to keep things tidy. But load from scene gives you a tick list enabling you to leave out anything you don't need.

Seeking Buddha
12-16-2013, 07:27 PM
Worked great, I've saved the character with all its extras to a scene with nothing else but the character and all its nulls and saved that scene as the character and then imported into the new scene. Saved me a bunch of time.

Thank you to all that replied.

Seeking Buddha