PDA

View Full Version : Simple Modeling Question

Airwaves
12-14-2013, 06:00 PM
I am not a modeler and very new to most 3d animation stuff. I was using the Text Layers in Modeler to get the number 8. I have moved points around and merged some but for some reason cannot get it to look good. I know this is a simple fix, anybody know how to fix this? the front bevel is not seen for some reason. Thanks in advance for your input.

Lewis
12-14-2013, 06:18 PM
Hi!

you have both faces fliped so normals were on inside of letter so that's why you couldn't see it. You just pick faces (polys) and hit "f" key to flip them. I've fixed it and I've also split front faces 'coz LW dont' really like N-gons tha tmuch so you could endup in some rendering errors so it's safer this way.

here is mesh

cheers

Airwaves
12-14-2013, 06:22 PM
Hi!

you have both faces fliped so normals were on inside of letter so that's why you couldn't see it. You just pick faces (polys) and hit "f" key to flip them. I've fixed it and I've also split front faces 'coz LW dont' really like N-gons tha tmuch so you could endup in some rendering errors so it's safer this way.

here is mesh

cheers

Thank you so much. I figured it was something simple but moving points did not fix it. Thanks for the help.

Airwaves
12-14-2013, 06:30 PM
Hi!

here is mesh

cheers

One Last question. How do you split the front faces? Thanks

Lewis
12-15-2013, 02:20 PM
Tool is called Triangulate (shift+T) and then i used 3rd party free "MergeTrigonX" to make it quads where possible.

chikega
12-20-2013, 07:15 AM
How do you use "MergeTrigonX" plugin? I loaded an object made of tris and ran it ... nothing happened. I tried it in point and polygon mode. I selected two tris adjacent to each other and still nothing.

Lewis
12-20-2013, 07:18 AM
How do you use "MergeTrigonX" plugin? I loaded an object made of tris and ran it ... nothing happened. I tried it in point and polygon mode. I selected two tris adjacent to each other and still nothing.

Hmm, mine works just fine. No need for selection, works fine when nothing is selected.

Can you try this

1. Create ball
2. Hit Shift+T (Trangulate)
3. Now hit MergeTrigonX

Doe sit convert Triangles back to all quads ?

chikega
12-20-2013, 07:45 AM
It does work on the ball. But it doesn't work on the tooth object. I uploaded an image of it. It's all tris and I merged points just to be sure it was clean. I jumped into Blender and ran the convert "Tris to quads" and it worked. Not perfect of course but it worked. Maybe "MergeTrigonX" prefers geometric objects.

Lewis
12-20-2013, 07:48 AM
well i'm using it on all kind of meshes and it's not perfect and sometime misses parts or merges wrong but we have no other alternative in LW :(.

hrgiger
12-20-2013, 07:53 AM
Chikega, I see you commented on the Zbrush video I made. Do you have Zbrush? I would just take it to Zbrush if that's an option and run Zremesher on it and it will give you all quad model.

chikega
12-20-2013, 08:01 AM
hrgiger: I forgot about using ZBrush as means of converting to all quads. Doh! Zremesher is the bomb for obtaining clean polyflow while sculpting ... I feel like I'm cheating at times :D

Lewis: I ran the convert "Tris to Quads" several times in Blender and it didn't reduce it any further than it did the first time. I brought the tooth object from Blender back into Lightwave. As you can see in the first image, there are about 350 tris. I ran "MergeTrigonX" and it reduced it to 228 which is good. For those who don't have ZB, Blender can act as a plugin of sorts. :)

Lewis
12-21-2013, 04:56 PM
Try to Delete UV map in LW and then run MergeTrigonX. I know it's silly request (and nto applicable always) but try.