PDA

View Full Version : "Load Settings" -- how to turn off in Surf Ed?

jeric_synergy
12-13-2013, 02:27 PM
I understand that some people might want a safety barrier from destroying their carefully built Surfaces, BUT:

When loading Surface Presets, is there any way to turn off the g.d. "Load Settings?" dialog? :devil:

xchrisx
12-13-2013, 02:40 PM
Just out of curiosity, why are you angry at a simple yes/no dialog box? It actually makes to have it as there is no undo for surface changes. As for your question I have never seen an option anywhere to turn it off.

jeric_synergy
12-13-2013, 07:01 PM
"Annoyed" would be more accurate. It's just ANOTHER speed bump to productivity. IMO it should be tied to the ALERT level: training wheels for the noobs, no net for us foolish enough (or cautious enough) to think we'll never make a mistake.

spherical
12-13-2013, 08:07 PM
Agreed. The "Overwrite?" when hitting "s" is another I'd like linked to Alert Level. If I choose Low, it's my own darn fault for not having had enough coffee. Perhaps there should be a fourth Alert Level: "None, I'll Pay The Price, I Know."

jeric_synergy
12-14-2013, 12:01 AM
The thing is, there's LOTS of these speed bump: "Y'know, software, if I'm TRYING to adjust the color of this thing, I probably DO want it ON."

prometheus
12-14-2013, 02:04 PM
Just out of curiosity, why are you angry at a simple yes/no dialog box? It actually makes to have it as there is no undo for surface changes. As for your question I have never seen an option anywhere to turn it off.

I agree with the others here, it is annoying and Ivé ranting about that too, if I click on a preset, that is probably why I want to change the surface and it is an un necessary warning sign, itīs almost like
if you hit t for move, and popup show..do you really want to move this object?, not exactly the same..but quite annoying, after all if the object is saved..you will get a request anyway if you will save changes.

This is of course due to the lack of undoīs in layot which they at the same time could fix, it is a workflow killer having that requester stopping you from drag and drop new materials within seconds on different parts.

We canīt have warning signs stopping you from working decently in a software.. the results is the frustrated rants showcased here by users.
the load surface preset is a typical g.d dialog.
without the requester You can resurface many items ..letīs say 8 items within 7-8 seconds, as opposed to having popup warnings increasing time to 24 seconds or more.

Michael

jeric_synergy
12-14-2013, 03:20 PM
So, I'm hoping the devs will actually (read this and) take it to heart: make infrastructural provisions for disabling alerts & warnings.

In PHOTOSHOP, many Alerts have a "Don't show me this again" checkbox. Surely that's a reasonable thing to request?? That way, for those things you use all the damn time you can say "I got this" and for destructive functions you don't use frequently you can "leave the safety net in place".

I expect to see a LOT of infrastructural changes in LW12, and if this functionality is built-in at a very low level, even plugins can use it.