PDA

View Full Version : Basic stuff Lightwave users should know, but are not-so-obvious

Pages : [1] 2

Ryan Roye
12-12-2013, 05:44 PM
I'm sure there have been topics like this before discussing things in Lightwave sometimes considered "hidden gems" and whatnot... but I think it's time to re-visit this. Perhaps even some of the long time veteran users among us will learn a new thing or two!

THE IDEA FOR THIS THREAD:

There are native functions in Lightwave that a lot of users take for granted... some of which are almost invisible and are somewhere between hard and impossible to discover. So the big question is this: What is a basic Lightwave function that you feel the average user would likely not find, but is something you consider important to know about generally speaking? (both modeler and layout)

To demonstrate, I whipped up a really quick video about the statistics panel to kick off this thread:

http://youtu.be/rNYH1gW7MF8

Bonus tip courtesy of Tobian: Volume select works with things like "hide selected". Try it!

EDIT: Do a search on Erikals's videos (http://www.youtube.com/user/erikalst) when posting and include them if they are relevant to your post... because chances are good he covered a few things that are likely to get mentioned :)

raw-m
12-13-2013, 04:30 AM
I'll get the ball rolling with a couple of really basic yet useful GE shortcuts (and by way of subscribing to the thread!):

Select Keyframes, Press F1, LBM left/right will quickly allow you change the TCB Spline Tension.

Another simple yet over looked option in the GE: Filter Static Envelopes. Turning on will only show channels with keys on them - really useful if you have loads of nodes/instance animations going on.

hrgiger
12-13-2013, 09:41 AM
Im not sure how many people make use of it but if you hit 'i' in modeler it will bring up the ino panel where you can get the coordinate values for the X,Y, and Z of a vertex or group of vertices and copy them. Useful when you want to line up geometry on the same axis coordinate by using the set value command. 'v' for set value, paste your coordinates in dialog window and hit ok..

Waves of light
12-13-2013, 10:30 AM
'Align to last point X' (or Y or Z) - hidden in the menus. Select any set of points, then select one more and use those to align to a specific Axis.

'Select Path' - select two polys, points or edges and use it to complete the selection between the two.

jeric_synergy
12-13-2013, 10:37 AM
(away from machiine) trying to remember how this one works....

IF I'm remembering this correctly:
The Graph Editor has its own set of hotkeys, that OVERRIDE the main set when the GE is open. If this is driving you crazy, UNassigning them in the hotkey editor will allow them to work as usual in the main UI even when the GE is open.

++++
POINT SELECTION
If you've just made a complicated (ie, PITA) point selection, get in the habit of creating a Point Set. Better, make a hotkey to make it even faster-- mousing down to the Selection Set thingy is slow slow slow slowwwww. A hotkey will make this convenient and more likely to become a Good Habit.

POLY SELECTION SETS
Although PARTS should be the polygon equivalent to Point Sets, they are not (dammit, LAME) because the contents cannot overlap. However, using SEL POINTS gives you the equivalent by switching from selected points to the equivalent in Polys.

SELECTION BY COLOR
You can select by Sketch Color.

(ps: I LUVVV these kinds of threads!!! Thanks, Chazriker-- we should probably start one every 3 months just to noodge folks.)

jeric_synergy
12-13-2013, 10:53 AM
Even experienced users forget this one:

People coming from other apps often think there's no "Soft-selection" in LWM. Technically true, but there is FALLOFF.

Falloff can be either spacial, or moderated by a Weight Map. While not as slick as most implementations of 'soft-select', Weight-mapping can give modelers arbitrary control over how a Tool is applied to a mesh. Plus, you can have MULTIPLE weight-maps on the same geometry, so you can have multiple ways of applying tools to the same geometry.

tyrot
12-13-2013, 01:36 PM
so this thread is becoming like legendary Tips and Tricks Book:) cool keep'em coming

jeric_synergy
12-13-2013, 02:19 PM
Only 994 to go.

Doctor49152
12-13-2013, 03:26 PM
I love these types of threads!

tommyc
12-13-2013, 04:00 PM
As a new Lightwave user, I really appreciate threads like this. Huge thanks to everyone.

xchrisx
12-13-2013, 04:06 PM
One thing I wish I knew when I first started Lightwave is that if you want similar functionality to Mute Channels when keyframing animation, you can add an expression to a channel with "0" as the expression's value. Then just disable the expression when you want to "Unmute" it.

Danner
12-13-2013, 04:36 PM
Things that I've found a couple of experienced LW users didn't know about Modeler.

1. You can bind "deselect all" to a key, instead of clicking on an empty section of the interface
2. bind PickSurf to a key. you can now click on any polygon and the surface editor opens up and highlights its' surface, click on another polygon with another surface and the surface editor selects it.
3. You can use Absolute size, to measure things, but also to scale them to exact dimentions.
4. Spin Edge to change how a quad is triangulated. [/] or [\]
5. Snap drag tool works inside the UV window too.
6. Almost any box where you can enter a number you can also enter simple formulas like 360/7+5
7. In those numeric boxes you can use metric and imperial numbers mixed toguether. 20"+2m -.2'

tyrot
12-14-2013, 04:33 AM
I guess it will be one of the greatest thread ever.. May be at the end there will be an edited version as PDF... First community user based - PDF - tips and tricks.

raw-m
12-14-2013, 04:50 AM
Using Vertex Paint in Layout allows you to paint directly on your model - using black and white values is handy for creating masks, just use the Vertex Color node where you might have used a Weigh Map.

Ryan Roye
12-14-2013, 11:07 AM
Believe it or not, I used lightwave for a little over a year before I discovered mouse menus. I guess its the fact that the average user will only really ever discover these by accident, and even the inclusion of the "mouse menus" in the "edit menus" don't really clue in users as to what they are referring to (they should should be labeled like "CTRL+Shift Left Mouse Menu" so people aren't guessing).

I know i've mentioned these in various other tutorials i've done... but alas, I feel users need to be aware and I don't consider it an obvious thing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rjB3TjBtqF0&feature=youtu.be

jeric_synergy
12-14-2013, 01:30 PM
I almost always find USEFUL techniques when watching videos, techniques which are NOT the actual point of the video.

BigHache
12-14-2013, 04:49 PM
Im not sure how many people make use of it but if you hit 'i' in modeler it will bring up the ino panel where you can get the coordinate values for the X,Y, and Z of a vertex or group of vertices and copy them. Useful when you want to line up geometry on the same axis coordinate by using the set value command. 'v' for set value, paste your coordinates in dialog window and hit ok..

I do this quite a lot actually.

I bind Bridge to left-mouse menu then have Deselect All to right-mouse menu. It makes for super fast filling of holes.

Pensart
12-14-2013, 09:46 PM
Tip for the newcomers?
Drag and drop objects, images, surfaces .srf, presets etc... from your windows explorer into lw.
Select multiple images at once and drag them into your images editor.
Save previews along with your surface .srf files and drag the choosen .srf file into the surface editor.
Love this workflow. Mutch better than the surface presets window in LW because you cannot use a custom image render instead of the sphere.
I like to have a decent surface preview so i work this way. Having a dual monitor setup is very nice :P

erikals
12-15-2013, 06:55 AM
some video tricks here >

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLC117946FA3DED677

JohnMarchant
12-15-2013, 06:58 AM
This should really be a sticky thread. Any Admins around

Surrealist.
12-15-2013, 08:40 AM
1001 tips and tricks. Loved that book. Volume Select - great one!

OK here is one. And I am not sure if it qualifies or not. But it came up in a recent thread. So here goes:

The "Unruly" Bend tool giving you a head ache?

Open up the display panel (d) and under Units/ Snapping set it to Fixed and based on the scale of your object give it a number like 1M.

Now it will snap to the axis you are bending. Ctrl of course gives you 5 percent increments. Now it is much easier to control this tool.

And a subset to this:

Also works with the Create tools. In case you want to automatically drag out primitives to grid increments.

And another one:

Hard to tell which of these are news to people. But most of the basic modify tools are really only 3 tools with different types of fall offs.... yes but....

Ever want to just simply click and drag on an object and move it around when you have a whole bunch of objects? For example a whole mess of individual cubes or spheres or anything you wan to position around easily without selecting.

Open up the N panel on any of the move/drag tools. Set it to point radial and make it fixed then put in a huge number based on your scale like 100M and now click on the point of an object and drag the whole thing around.

Easy now to just simply click and drag on anything in the layer and move it around. Very handy.

Ryan Roye
12-15-2013, 08:56 AM
I'm really glad people are finding this thread fun! Chris's suggestion on how to "mute" channels was particularly interesting. Anyhow, I whipped up another short video...

Although there are a few 3rd party tools that can do this same thing even faster (IE: TA-Tools (http://www.liberty3d.com/tools/ta-tools/)), the native way to get 1-sided endomorphs isn't so bad if you know about copy vertex map and its hidden functions.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lsgt-2C0iZ0&feature=youtu.be

I almost always find USEFUL techniques when watching videos, techniques which are NOT the actual point of the video.

This is so true. Just recently I was watching some of the TA-Tools demos, and they demonstrated some really nifty usages of falloffs with rotate/move tools like mentioned in this thread. It makes manipulating "organic" geometry so much easier.

jeric_synergy
12-15-2013, 09:28 AM
Xchrisx's tip is the kind of thing I'd like to see added to an official online manual. Then it would actually be FINDABLE by folks who don't live on the forum.

Surrealist's tip about moving is one I always forget-- if it were FASTER to change the falloff setting (could it be lscripted???) I'd use that trick a lot more.

Some of the tools that LIMIT capabilities are the most useful: "MIRRORX" gets a >>LOT<< more use than just the (tempermental, IMO) MIRROR function. One needs a generalized flexible MIRROR tool, but in practice here, mirroring almost always occurs across the X axis at the Origin. A script that limited the Falloff options at the click of a button would REALLY make Falloff a more useful, accessible feature.

Here's a tip: Toggling MODELER'S backdrop can be mapped both to a button and to a hotkey.

Another tip: AUTOSIZE BACKDROP will conform to the geometry (currently visible??). I usually check the pixel dimensions of an image, make a flat box of the same dimension (in whatever units make sense, usually mm), and then use AUTOSIZE to get the correct ratio of the backdrop image size. Then I save the backdrop config.

What this means is, for a tightly cropped profile of an object, you can create a correctly sized backdrop and bounding box. Bazinga, baby!

jeric_synergy
12-15-2013, 09:32 AM
Nice one, chazriker.

I found/find the concept of various mappings VERY confusing, although they're all ultimately logical-- but "ultimately" is the opposite of "apparent".

A breakout of the concepts of mapping (my best conceptualization is "a list of values related to specific vertices") and the implications of all that would maybe be useful to many beside myself.

Some of the functionality and usefulness of copying and clearing various mappings make perfect sense, but don't exactly leap out at the user. Or maybe it's just me.

BTW, chazriker, I think your voice is very well-suited to conveying information, well done.

JohnMarchant
12-15-2013, 09:44 AM
Anyone remember the experimental functions in LW, i think it was ctrl,alt,shift,F1 or something like that. Not sure if its still in there.

Just checked its still there, not sure what it does now.

tyrot
12-15-2013, 09:47 AM
chaz - that endomorph trick is just so cool!

jeric_synergy
12-15-2013, 08:10 PM
Layout+VPR: Shift+click selects the Surface.

chikega
12-15-2013, 08:13 PM
Great tips keep them coming! I have one, but I must credit Conjurebunny. I've assigned my Tab key to "G-Toggle Subpatch", so now I can subpatch the entire object no matter how many polys, edges or verts are selected on the object.

jeric_synergy
12-15-2013, 09:39 PM
Delete Keyframe Plus..... is what it SHOULD be called. But some knuckle head (seriously, WTF?)(W.T.F??) named it "TM-P Mot-ify Delete Motion..." and it scrolls off the right side of the Menu Editor. Practically guaranteeing any Search will fail.

Basically, it's Delete Keyframe on steroids.

Has its own hotkeys. Has frame zero and negative keyframe protection. Has range. Go look.

Ryan Roye
12-15-2013, 10:03 PM
Delete Keyframe Plus.. is what it SHOULD be called. But some knuckle head (seriously, WTF?)(W.T.F??) named it "TM-P Mot-ify Delete Motion..." and it scrolls off the right side of the Menu Editor. Practically guaranteeing any Search will fail.

I believe motify was originally a 3rd party plugin... though I'm just as bewildered as you are about the name of the function. So at some point the LW3DG must have bought it, and it has since become buried in the huge "additional" dropdown menu under "Utilities". It is definitely a handy replacement for the default delete key dialogue, though in future versions of Lightwave motify really should be retired and its functions transferred to the default delete key dialogue. My only gripe about Motify is that it doesn't remember your last-used keyframe settings between uses... aside from that, motify is superior to normal delete key in every way.

jeric_synergy
12-15-2013, 10:13 PM
Yeah, it's a good utility. As to remembering, same thing w/Weld Points, someone else's pet peeve.

Thomas Leitner
12-16-2013, 01:21 AM
....My only gripe about Motify is that it doesn't remember your last-used keyframe settings between uses... aside from that, motify is superior to normal delete key in every way.

and that it doesn´t delete keys in the Surface Editor (at least until LW 11.5).
As previously, NT says that is not a bug, it´s a feature request, even though the manual says otherwise:

from LightWave 10 Help file:

....This includes all envelopes applied to those items (like Camera Zoom Factor and Light Intensity), envelopes for applied plug-ins (such as Morph Mixer channels), and surface envelopes applied in the Surface Editor.

ciao
Thomas

MarcusM
12-16-2013, 03:14 AM
Not every user know about hierarchy mode in Modeler Layers window ;p

colkai
12-16-2013, 03:18 AM
Not every user know about hierarchy mode in Modeler Layers window ;p

<<raises hand>> Well, frak!

raw-m
12-16-2013, 03:26 AM
By default, three simple keyboard shortcuts in Layout that will get you motoring along (this is on a Mac, not sure of similar PC keys):

alt D - clone an item without the popup
alt N - opens popup for renaming an item
alt C - clone a null with instances applied. Also useful, select an item you want to instance, using alt C will create a null and apply the selected item to it as an instance. Very quick and handy!

MarcusM
12-16-2013, 03:46 AM
By default, three simple keyboard shortcuts in Layout that will get you motoring along (this is on a Mac, not sure of similar PC keys):

alt D - clone an item without the popup
alt N - opens popup for renaming an item
alt C - clone a null with instances applied. Also useful, select an item you want to instance, using alt C will create a null and apply the selected item to it as an instance. Very quick and handy!

In my opinion is missing something like Duplicate in Layout. Try clone object etc. with sliders, parent/ target items, item shape(draw line to) etc. Only way is load item from scene. (Or i don't know something?)

tyrot
12-16-2013, 08:27 AM
what s that hierarchy mode???

xchrisx
12-16-2013, 09:32 AM
Hierarchy mode lets you parent more like the scene editor rather than the pull down method that the list option provides. Here is an example:

edit: Forgot to put, this is in Modeler's Layer Window

jeric_synergy
12-16-2013, 10:12 AM
The LWM Layers Panel has so much potential... but I got tired of making mockups that were ignored. >|^P'''''

There's so many semi-hidden features maybe something is wrong with the basic design philosophy. Ideally, we shouldn't be so happy to see this thread.

Waves of light
12-16-2013, 12:40 PM
Hierarchy mode lets you parent more like the scene editor rather than the pull down method that the list option provides. Here is an example:

Well, after all these years and I never knew you could do that!

jeric_synergy
12-16-2013, 12:48 PM
Well, after all these years and I never knew you could do that!
That control might be EXCESSIVELY subtle. Ya think? 8~

Waves of light
12-16-2013, 01:06 PM
;)

MarcusM
12-16-2013, 02:50 PM
You can copy UV map TO another(copy vertex map) but must write name, wy not choose from list? ;] (Right click on Vertex Maps window)

Another not so abvious thing, in my opinion is: You can export wanted UV map for each material in FBX if in material Color you choose wanted UV but not must choose texture/image.

tyrot
12-16-2013, 03:21 PM
thanks chris for the image... wow never clicked there..

hrgiger
12-16-2013, 04:20 PM
Another good thing in LightWave that some may overlook is that all entry fields that require numeric input are able to accept math operations. So if you didn't know the exact value you wanted but knew you wanted to double something in size, you could just enter (existing value) *2 and will give you computed result.

JoePoe
12-16-2013, 04:45 PM
Another good thing in LightWave that some may overlook is that all entry fields that require numeric input are able to accept math operations. So if you didn't know the exact value you wanted but knew you wanted to double something in size, you could just enter (existing value) *2 and will give you computed result.

..... but be careful in the case of rotation. You have to get rid of the degree sign first (if a value already exists in the field), then math works.

pinkmouse
12-16-2013, 04:49 PM
...And watch out if it's nodal, you might be dealing in Radians not degrees.

But dead cool none the less, and it's been in LW since at least V3.

geo_n
12-16-2013, 05:56 PM
-f"[email protected]" where 9 is the font size
adding this to your lw icon shortcut affects the gui fonts in the app. Since they added this in lw 11, I could use lightwave more comfortably on a 14 inch laptop screen.

MarcusM
12-17-2013, 05:58 AM
Exporting UV map in Modeler as EPS (Encapsulated PostScript).

xchrisx
12-17-2013, 09:37 AM
Exporting UV map in Modeler as EPS (Encapsulated PostScript).

Just remember this doesnt work for UV's that have subpatch interpolation. It only works with Linear (which is default interpolation). Below is a a cube I subpatched and what happens when you use the different interpolation modes:

Waves of light
12-17-2013, 09:39 AM
Just remember this doesnt work for UV's that have subpatch interpolation. It only works with Linear (which is default interpolation). Below is a a cube I subpatched and what happens when you use the different interpolation modes:

Good point Chris.

What I sometimes do is freeze my sub-d model, then export my UV map as an EPS... but then don't save my LWO!

raw-m
12-17-2013, 09:45 AM
Similar to Surrealist's tip, in Modeler, if you just have single ploys to move around/rotate etc, set Falloff Type to Polygon and you won't need to select anything!

Danner
12-17-2013, 11:22 AM
This last tip just reminded me of a way to drag polygon islands around without having to select anything. Let's say you have a chess board with a bunch of pieces and you want to move them around. Normally you'd select one polygon, then select connected, or use the laso to surround the geometry then move it, deselect it, and so on. If you use Snap Drag tool and set it to "Connected points" you can move the pieces around without having to select any of them. Just click drag on any point and the whole piece follows.

Waves of light
12-17-2013, 01:02 PM
This last tip just reminded me of a way to drag polygon islands around without having to select anything. Let's say you have a chess board with a bunch of pieces and you want to move them around. Normally you'd select one polygon, then select connected, or use the laso to surround the geometry then move it, deselect it, and so on. If you use Snap Drag tool and set it to "Connected points" you can move the pieces around without having to select any of them. Just click drag on any point and the whole piece follows.

Nice.

inkpen3d
12-18-2013, 05:09 AM

Nice tip!

After all these years never discovered that feature.

Surely this demonstrates VERY poor UI design when you'd go and hide such a useful feature behind a small bland white triangle. What makes it even worse is that this triangle is placed above, and is the same width as, the panel's scroll bar! This means that when you quickly glance at the layers panel, the white triangle can be very easily mistaken for one of the jog icons you'd find above/below standard scroll bars (even though it's inverted vertically).

I'm now wondering how many other useful features remain to be discovered that are lurking behind similar white triangles in other LW panels! :(

Edit: BTW, I'm not referring to the hide/unhide white triangles, as they usually stand out from the crowd and their functionality is fairly obvious.

greg.reyna
01-24-2014, 01:03 AM
I'm all for remapping Layout's default hotkeys that do something serious when pressing only a single key.

For example, by default, Record Bone Rest Rotation is mapped to the 'r' key. The first time I accidentally hit the r, I learned a lesson the hard way. Adding a modifier key to the r prevents that accidental key press.

Also, when the Image Viewer is active, Page Up and Page Down move between F9 renders, but if you accidentally press either of them when one of Layout's other windows are active, the timeline starts playing. This may not be a problem if you notice it, but if you've got windows open all over the place, and then start clicking on things, you'll find a major slowdown underway. You may wonder why until you see that little gadget moving along the timeline.

In Modeler, it's the other way around. I map the single key presses to things I do all the time, like drag, size, knife, smooth shift, and spin quad pairs. But don't change the default hot keys until you're comfortable with Modeler's functions or you'll get lost when trying to follow a tutorial.

vonpietro
02-12-2014, 06:53 PM
there is a book called 1001 lw tips and tricks,
it's pretty good
has a cd with it
larry shultz has some tutorials on it too among others.
it also includes some breakdown shots from cafe fx, and zoic's bsg

they cover alot

Matt
02-14-2014, 08:30 PM
This should really be a sticky thread. Any Admins around

Your wish is my command! ;)

Matt
02-14-2014, 08:55 PM
Here's a tip for working with Surfaces.

Want to transfer all surfaces from one object to another?

Right click on the source *object* name in the Surface Editor and choose "Save Library". Then right click on the target object's name and choose "Load Library". Any surfaces with the same name will get the newly loaded surfaces.

"Load Library by Name" will do the same as "Load Library" but also *adds* any unassigned surface names to the target object's list. This option only makes sense in Modeler, where you want access to another object's surfaces in the "Assign Surface" panel, saves having to copy and paste polys with the surface you wanted.

Oh, and to open / close those object surface lists, you can double-click, no need to hunt and peck for the arrow.

Matt
02-14-2014, 09:15 PM
Modelling Tip:

Want to create edge loops faster than anything on earth?

1) Select a few polys going in the direction you want

2) Press the right arrow key to select the loop

3) Press the 'L' key (Connect tool) - adds an edge loop

4) Keep pressing 'L' for more edge loops

Boom! Done!

jeric_synergy
02-15-2014, 12:54 AM
:askance: I think the "Connect Tool" needs a better name then.

geo_n
02-15-2014, 04:36 PM
Its connect in other app.

jeric_synergy
02-15-2014, 05:40 PM
meh. I remember when it came out, the same discussion. I still think it's bad nomenclature.

++
Non-loop behaviour of Connect:
There's an interesting thing (PIC) when you select an L-shaped set of polys on a standard Sphere: the poly (quad in this case) NEXT to the selection gets changed to a 6 point psuedo-quad, and a new quad polygon is generated.

I expected it just to be one poly with a LOT of edge points, but it appears that each invocation of Connect generates a new quad coincident with the previous.

Note this is NOT an Edge Loop issue: this is when a subset of a loop is Selected.

ALSO: on the second invocation of Connect in an l-shaped selection of polys, the non-selected Terminal polys get their normals borked (see pic) PLUS they get selected (!!!)-- this last is a surprise.

I don't know if it has any implications, but there it is. In the pic, the two end polys were originally NOT selected.

Luc_Feri
02-16-2014, 04:59 AM
Press 't' key then 'e' key will use edge extend for polygon or edge extrusion depending on selection and is handy and not so obvious at the start for newbies, BUT there is more...........

Do you prefer a gizmo type tool to transform your edge extends or extrusions?

Press 't' key then 'e' and then 'alt -t' in sequence to bring up the gizmo transform. Use the right mouse button for selection center or normal alignment by right clicking on a polygon face or edge.

This also works with the bevel tool. Press 'b' to bevel, right click in the viewport and then 'alt t' to bevel using the gizmo for interactive control, remember to right click again to select the selection center or normal alignments.

Luc_Feri
02-16-2014, 06:03 AM
This is mainly for newbies but is handy to know. One of the criticisms about Modeler is many tools do similar things and the UI should be streamlined and optimised to get rid of this overlap of functions.

However, I kinda disagree in a way as my three pronged attack for modelling utilises 3 tools that do very similar things but speed up the process.

'Edit edges' is good for adding individual edge loops on the fly with an interactive edge slide function, individual edge slide or delete loops feature and can be used accurately with the numeric panel if needed.

'Band Saw Pro' is good for selected polygon loops where you might need multiple cuts with accurate values with a multitude of evenly spaced or very specific loops but it has a downside as it can only do one polygon loop at a time.

The 'Cut' tool is great and a vital part of the toolset. Many times I will need pretty sharp edges and want edge loop values at 10% and 90% on either end of the polygon strip. The best thing about lightwave is my config will save the values I have stored for this tool no matter how many times I restart the application. But the best part of this tool is that it will slice a multiple of selected loops even on different areas of the model at the SAME time together. As long as you have selected two adjacent polygons and then pressed the right arrow key to select the loop, you can select as many loops as you want and hey presto, cut and tighten up a model very quickly.

Luc_Feri
02-16-2014, 07:02 AM
If you like the 'Tweak' tool but find the cage overlay when tweaking in Sub-D mode a bit too busy and cluttered , change the render mode in the numeric panel to 'Normal' and it is much more fun to use. You can also get a quick preview highlight as you hover over a polygon face or use it in quad viewport and the control points are still clearly visible to click on and move. The control points still act with a constraint if used in the quadview port and with the 'ctrl' key held.

Kuzey
02-16-2014, 08:05 AM
Modelling Tip:

Boom! Done!

Nice...I didn't know you can select a loop with the arrow key!!!

Also if you click the up & down keys you can select the next loop...awesome!

Option + arrow keys will move the selected loop up/down or left/right...more awesomeness!

Kuzey
02-16-2014, 08:11 AM
Hey Matt, can you expand a selected loop..1 loop at a time?

I have a loop selected and press shift + up arrow key to select the next loop up, but the viewport moves instead :)

Oedo 808
02-16-2014, 08:22 AM
Modelling Tip:

Boom! Done!

Hey Matt, can I ask if anything was augmented to allow this? I've been using it recently, but was sure trying a second Connect always used to go apeshit.

jeric_synergy
02-16-2014, 04:54 PM
Hey Matt, can I ask if anything was augmented to allow this? I've been using it recently, but was sure trying a second Connect always used to go apeshit.
Oedo: see post #63: one issue is if a LOOP is not selected, at least one six-point poly will be generated, which may affect subd modelers. This doesn't happen if a complete loop is selected.

Oedo 808
02-16-2014, 10:18 PM
Oedo: see post #63: one issue is if a LOOP is not selected, at least one six-point poly will be generated, which may affect subd modelers. This doesn't happen if a complete loop is selected.

Thanks, not sure I've used it on SubDs, usually use Cut with Terminate Cuts for those. I saw I had 9.6 installed and it doesn't work in that, I think I even tried doing it in 10 and it didn't work, but I could be mistaken.

I wonder if it is by design or a by product of cleaning up the code, if it's the former, which seems likely, it's very good to see such things being taken into consideration.

jeric_synergy
02-16-2014, 11:37 PM
Yeah: Matt's tip is really excellent for fast, evenly spaced edgeloops. Looks like the hotkey got assigned away on my installation, but as depicted can't get faster.

raw-m
02-17-2014, 02:40 AM
If you're using Spline Control and want easy manipulation of node placements or just want to move items around, get in the habit of using the Move Path tool instead of the Move tool. The Move Path tool doesn't require you to add/remove keyframes and works anywhere on the timeline (i.e., you don't have to create a keyframe at frame 0 after every tweak if you're working around frame 300), speeding up workflow considerably! Would be nice to see a similar tool for scale and rotation (please!) :D

Waves of light
02-17-2014, 05:46 AM
Nice...I didn't know you can select a loop with the arrow key!!!

Also if you click the up & down keys you can select the next loop...awesome!

Option + arrow keys will move the selected loop up/down or left/right...more awesomeness!

Hey Matt, can you expand a selected loop..1 loop at a time?

I have a loop selected and press shift + up arrow key to select the next loop up, but the viewport moves instead :)

And if you have AHK installed (AutoHotKey) you can overide any shortcut, thus allowing you to map CTRL (or SHIFT) plus Mousewheel to say this configuration:

http://forums.newtek.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=120226&d=1391616930

Kuzey
02-17-2014, 06:18 AM
Mmmm..that's PC only..I did find KeyRemap4MacBook...but haven't installed it yet :)

Waves of light
02-17-2014, 06:27 AM
Mmmm..that's PC only..I did find KeyRemap4MacBook...but haven't installed it yet :)

That's a shame it's PC only, as it's made a lot of difference my modeling (not having to take my hand off the mouse or move my left hand over to the other side of the keyboard).

Matt
02-17-2014, 12:13 PM

What version of LightWave do you have, as the Connect tool was changed to allow this in 11 or 11.5, can't remember now!

Oedo 808
02-17-2014, 02:20 PM
What version of LightWave do you have, as the Connect tool was changed to allow this in 11 or 11.5, can't remember now!

11.6.1... I think. There's no problem, I just wanted to confirm the tool was changed, as I used to try doing this and it never worked, then I did it by mistake not so long ago and was like "Hang on a minute!?... it works!", so I was just asking that it had been changed and I wasn't going bonkers.

Of course I'm interested in new tools, but I think changes like this one excite me more in some ways, brilliant :thumbsup:

jeric_synergy
02-17-2014, 11:52 PM
There's been some "stealth upgrades" it seems: the above, and it seems I now can't get Patches to FAIL, which is a very welcome contrast to how they used to, uhhhh, 'work'.

I can't even force them to fail, I mean.

Waves of light
02-18-2014, 03:17 AM
There's been some "stealth upgrades" it seems: the above, and it seems I now can't get Patches to FAIL, which is a very welcome contrast to how they used to, uhhhh, 'work'.

I can't even force them to fail, I mean.

So, if you can't break it and you feel it 'works' does this mean you're.... you're happy with it???? Yes folks at Burbank that sound you could hear from over the Atlantic was the noise made from me falling off my chair ;)

jeric_synergy
02-18-2014, 12:32 PM
Yes, yes, yuck it up.... ;)

--I can actually imagine using patches as a modeling tool now: before it was SOOOooooo picky.

But, I recommend that anyone actually doing heaving spline modeling avail themselves ASAP of Sensei's/TruArt's spline tools-- those things are incredible. "The LWCad of splines!" :bowdown:

http://www2.trueart.pl/?URIType=Directory&URI=Products/Plug-Ins/EasySpline

Sebasvideo
02-18-2014, 01:00 PM
I'm too tired to read all six pages now, so sorry if this was in a post, but is there a way, and if there is how it's done, to snap the pivot point exactly to a place of your choice, for example the exact bottom, top, center (although it is usually at the center, but in the case you moved it manually to another location and want to return it to the center).

These are a couple of tips for other beginners like me in case they haven't figured it out by themselves:

- Especially if you also use Modo, Lightwave seems like every single material or volume you want, you need to do it manually. But Lightwave has presets! Still way below the abundance in Modo, but many useful presets anyway. For materials, when you're in the surface editor, press F8 and the presets window will open with a few presets. Same way with volumes, with Hypervoxels open, press F8 and the volume presets will open with some useful volumes, like clouds, fire, smoke, etc. This is something that would be an advantage over Modo since Modo has tons of presets but not for volumes. The problem is that still hypervoxels look more realistic in Modo, although Lightwave gets close with a lot of tweaking.

- One thing about these preset windows: when they are active, if you press S to save, it won't act as the Save Scene command, it will save the preset to the "Workspace" folder in that presets window. So beware of that because you're not saving your scene, but just click on the rest of the interface and you will save the scene (after the annoying confirmation, which I hope some day make optional)

- I've seen a tutorial or two where it says that to add Hypervoxels you have to go to the object's Deform tab, click on "Add Displacement" and select Hypervoxels from the list. There's no need for that, you just go to the FX tab, click on Hypervoxels, where it lists all the objects in the scene, and you double click on the object you want HVs for, and it's done. HVParticles will show up automatically in the deform tab.

- If you're sick of the font in the interface in Windows (and this is important in Lightwave since most of the GUI is text), go to the icon on the desktop or taskbar that you use to launch Modeler and Layout, open its properties, and at the end of the Target field, press space and then copy and paste this:

-f"Segoe UI [email protected]"

Obviously that's the font and the size. Hopefully in the future this will be a setting in preferences, but I'm grateful it's there. The only problem is that the font doesn't scale the interface. The width of the menu on the left will be the same regardless, and many other things have a fixed width made for that font, I think it's MS Sans Serif. So ideally I would put that font in 9 or 10, but then almost everything would be cut off with ... at the end. So let's hope in future versions they offer a way to customize this in preferences, and scaling the interface depending on the font.

As for Mac, I have no idea if it's available, but the regular font in the Mac version looks way better, in part because Mac OS X has excellent font smoothing compared to Windows.

bazsa73
02-19-2014, 12:47 AM
In layout when move something hold alt pressed down and the object will snap to the closest object, actually to its pivot.
Ideal for positioning nulls to bones for example.

greg.reyna
02-19-2014, 08:50 PM
Say you've got an object in Layout that's been deformed by a displacement map, then you pivot it 90 degrees on its Heading, and move it 2m on the Z axis. Then you save it as a Transformed Object. If, by using Items/Replace/With Object, you replace the original with the Trans Object, it will not load into the same position as the original, but will pivot an additional 90 degrees on its Heading, and move an additional 2m on the Z. To get it back into the position where you had the original, you have to reset all axes to 0.

--Inadvertently discovered this today.

Dodgy
02-19-2014, 11:19 PM
One thing no-one seems to know is this:

If you move the pivot point of a mesh in Modeler, you can get Layout to use this pivot point by selecting the Modify>Translate>Move Pivot point tool, and clicking Modify>General>Reset. The pivot point will then reset to the current Modeler position.

I use the Reset function (which works on a lot of tools) so much I have it hotkeyed.

spherical
02-20-2014, 03:20 AM
Yes. Found this out after a LOT of trial and MUCH error when bringing in an architectural model that had pivots moved to where the hinges were on all of the doors, so they could be easily animated. Brought the model into Layout and the doors flew all over the place.

AmigaNewTek
02-20-2014, 04:15 AM
Modelling Tip:

Boom! Done!

I would add:

Press F5, load the appropriate organic surface, then send to Layout and render.... Voilà the Fastest donuts on earth that will make omer happy :)

Waves of light
02-20-2014, 05:37 AM
This has popped up on other threads, but a lot of users seem to be unaware that you can drag and drop images into Modeler/Layout and it will load them into your Image Editor window (F6).

EDIT: That's on a PC. Don't know if that works on a MAC too.

djwaterman
02-20-2014, 06:24 AM
Really? I was totally unaware of that.

jeric_synergy
02-20-2014, 01:54 PM
I use the Reset function (which works on a lot of tools) so much I have it hotkeyed.
???? You mean "performs the same function as RESET in the Numeric Panel"??

- - - Updated - - -

Say you've got an object in Layout that's been deformed by a displacement map, then you pivot it 90 degrees on its Heading, and move it 2m on the Z axis. Then you save it as a Transformed Object. If, by using Items/Replace/With Object, you replace the original with the Trans Object, it will not load into the same position as the original, but will pivot an additional 90 degrees on its Heading, and move an additional 2m on the Z. To get it back into the position where you had the original, you have to reset all axes to 0.
AND you have to remove the displacement. Just sayin'.

zardoz
02-20-2014, 05:06 PM
And if you have an image layer selected (pressing T on the surface editor and creating an image layer) and drag an image to this image layer it will change the image layer from 'none' to the dragged image

Waves of light
02-20-2014, 05:48 PM
And if you have an image layer selected (pressing T on the surface editor and creating an image layer) and drag an image to this image layer it will change the image layer from 'none' to the dragged image
Goodness, didn't know that one. Will see in the morning if that world with the image node too.

drcola
02-21-2014, 09:20 AM
This has popped up on other threads, but a lot of users seem to be unaware that you can drag and drop images into Modeler/Layout and it will load them into your Image Editor window (F6).

EDIT: That's on a PC. Don't know if that works on a MAC too.

This does work on the Mac side!

Waves of light
02-21-2014, 09:24 AM
This does work on the Mac side!

Excellent. Thanks for letting us know.

drcola
02-21-2014, 10:19 AM
Since this is for basic stuff, I thought I'd add this little thing for easy navigation.

With cursor in the viewport you want...

Alt lets your orbit.
Ctrl + Alt lets you zoom.
Shift + Alt lets you pan.

It's usually quicker than using the buttons on the top right of the viewport.

jeric_synergy
02-21-2014, 10:37 AM
To be exact: You can only orbit in the Perspective vuport.

(This throws me in Blender: if you attempt to orbit in Blender, it SWITCHES the vuport to a perspective view. I don't like that-- I like my vuports to stay doing what I told 'em to do.)

Oedo 808
02-25-2014, 08:34 AM
Hold Ctrl while manipulating perspective viewport rotation via the icon in Modeler to activate snapping, handy for when your view gets a little out of control or you want to use tools that are perspective viewport friendly, like Magnet. It might seem quite obvious but to reset the views, switch to an empty layer a press 'a' (Fit All Items in View).

If like me you have a viewport configuration where zoom is not linked (like my 1 left, 3 right preset) you can assign Fit All Items in One View to a key, essentially you can fit to view in unlinked viewports without disrupting the zoom of the others. Sadly it doesn't seem there is a Fit Selected Items in One View, so it only works on the whole of the visible geometry... Matt... Make it so!

Hope this isn't a duplicate, but I'm too lazy to read all 8~

raw-m
02-25-2014, 10:22 AM
Modeler: G-Toggle Subpatch. If you're woking on a sub-D object and have a few polys selected, G-Toggle Subpatch will turn on/off the sub patching on the whole model, not just the selection! Hunt it down in your Keyboard shortcut and map it to your Tab key if you want to replace the normal Sub-D option.

bazsa73
03-03-2014, 12:01 AM
Mipmap setting for displacement maps from ZBrush (I guess it is true for other image files from similar sculpting apps) must be set to "Softness" on the Image Editor panel and not to "antialiasing".

bazsa73
03-03-2014, 12:05 AM

I love this feature!
I use it for fine tuning values. One can also omit the digit '0' when typing numbers like 0.25, it's enough to write .25.

MarcusM
03-03-2014, 01:06 AM
In image editor, when you double click on loaded image you can save modified file ;]

Waves of light
03-03-2014, 03:30 PM
Did you know that you can right mouse click on a gradient marker (well, actually on the small arrow to the left of the gradient line) and lock it? Right click again to unlock it.

js33
03-10-2014, 07:22 PM
I don't think this was mentioned.
In Modeler you can nudge selected points, polys or edges or if nothing selected the entire object by holding down the Alt key and using the arrow keys to nudge.

jeric_synergy
03-10-2014, 08:23 PM
I don't think this was mentioned.
In Modeler you can nudge selected points, polys or edges or if nothing selected the entire object by holding down the Alt key and using the arrow keys to nudge.
well HECK! That would have been nice to know a loooooooonnnnnnnnnnggg time ago!

Good one, thanks!

js33
03-10-2014, 08:39 PM
No problem. It's actually amazing how many things LW can do that is not obvious as this thread shows.
Another one is select some points and hit the J key and they will "jump" to where ever you place the cursor.

colkai
03-17-2014, 02:57 AM
don't [/B]like that-- I like my vuports to stay doing what I told 'em to do.)

OT. I think that action can be overridden in the Blender user prefs.

Calu
03-17-2014, 10:38 AM
that is so really good

Calu
03-17-2014, 10:43 AM
I really Liked it

creacon
03-18-2014, 12:06 PM
Modeler commands in layout:
Everybody knows that there is a modeler tab in layout, and at the bottom there is an "execute command" button. The commands are documented in the sdk, but you can try things like:

flip
triple
bevel 0.02 0.02

and after that you can even type "undo"! and it works.

creacon

tyrot
03-18-2014, 04:41 PM
thanks for the modeling tips..

is there a way to add points in layout 1point polygons i.e.

JohnMarchant
03-24-2014, 03:30 PM
Ctrl + Alt + Shift +F1, experimental features is still in there. Wonder what they are ???

jeric_synergy
03-25-2014, 01:33 AM
thanks for the modeling tips..

is there a way to add points in layout 1point polygons i.e.
Not as Partigons? Maybe "Stipple".

alexs3d
03-25-2014, 04:03 AM
that´s really cool, thanks for the tip

Modeler commands in layout:
Everybody knows that there is a modeler tab in layout, and at the bottom there is an "execute command" button. The commands are documented in the sdk, but you can try things like:

flip
triple
bevel 0.02 0.02

and after that you can even type "undo"! and it works.

creacon

ArtGoblin
05-01-2014, 05:03 PM
It was pointed out to me that this probably belongs in this thread, so I'm re-posting it here.

Hi guys, I did this without thinking when I was modeling today, and then it occurred to me that I have never seen a tutorial showing this neat little trick. So this is very basic and most of you probably know this, but for those who don't this can be a huge time-saver when modeling.

Untangling the mess you sometimes get after beveling operations

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KgtBVjRmuXA

greg.reyna
05-01-2014, 11:11 PM
When you've got a time-intensive render, whether F9 or scene, turning off Preview cuts down on render time significantly.

--not sure if anyone has mentioned this yet.

Ivan_B
05-02-2014, 05:00 AM
Amazing stuff...Thanks people.

I use shorcuts like crazy...I've customized the heck out of my menus and shortcuts. I save out all my modeller and layout menus and shortcuts...use them whenever thers an update or reinstall...massive time saver (load / scan your plugins first), then load your menu presets and all is setup..

In layout I have setup shortcuts for vpr "v" Bullet world properties "w" camera "c" light "l" objects "o" the list goes on and on...not a fan of the Ctrl and shift key thing.

Almost all of my tools for modeller are on left and right mouse buttons.

To maximize views in modeller, place your mouse over the view (perspective, right, left or top) and hit the "0" zero on the numeric pad to toggle between 4 views or maximized single view...also works in layout.

Shift + ' flips the selection in modeller.

I learnt a great one...when you add a new layer to your model in modeller whilst that model is open in layout, sometimes that new layer doesn't update in layout....right click in the "Scene editor" and go to "add" "add object layer"...select your model from wherever you saved it initially, then a widow pops up letting you choose the new layer you made that didnt update...Boy I wish I knew this a while ago!!

I think my favorite is the lazy mans texturing.

http://youtu.be/g8FVPEGJoVg

jeric_synergy
06-13-2014, 11:52 AM
SAVING NODES:
You don't have to reinvent the wheel, even if it's a very simple wheel. Once you've made a given network of nodes, SAVE THEM so you don't have to do it again.

You can even SAVE ONE NODE: I find it an incredible tedious task to set up Gradient nodes, since they are almost always a variation on a ROYGBIV rainbow. So I just saved the darn thing. Now it's 2 clicks away.

(It helps that I save utility nodes in the folder I duplicate for projects.)

will2014
06-17-2014, 04:27 AM
I'm quite new to lightwave and this is awesome and full of useful info thanks

Dan_Ritchie
07-31-2014, 07:10 PM
PDM-Motify... I was written by a lightwave developer, but I think it was written before he started with newtek. I think PTM was his company name.
I think it was "moti" as in motion, because it was originally it baked keyframes. At least that's the way I remember it.

jeric_synergy
07-31-2014, 11:13 PM
PDM-Motify... I was written by a lightwave developer, but I think it was written before he started with newtek. I think PTM was his company name.
I think it was "moti" as in motion, because it was originally it baked keyframes. At least that's the way I remember it.
Yeah, I think of that as "Delete Key PLUS". I replaced the normal DELETE KEY with it because why the hell not?

BeeVee
08-01-2014, 02:26 AM
A major benefit of a Logitech mouse (and I'm sure others) is the fact that you can map keyboard shortcuts to mouse buttons. Since my Anywhere MX (on the laptop) and Perfomance MX (on the main machine) have additional buttons, it make sense to assign LightWave shortcuts to them.

In Layout, the Back button on the side of the mouse gets assigned to the VPR toggle to switch between OpenGL and VPR.
In Modeler, the Back button gets assigned to Drop Selection.

The other additional buttons on the meece get assigned to other things, but not on a permanent basis like those two.

B

Dan_Ritchie
08-01-2014, 01:15 PM
These are some oldies, but goodies. The ones toward the bottom are pure gems.

The spinny light trick
Cheap haircut
The rabbit ear trick
The dinosaur wiggle trick(!)
Explosion polygons

Spinny light
I think everyone knows the spinny light trick. You parent a point or spotlight to a null and spin it over the course of a single frame and loop it. The antialiasing passes give you a free soft shadow.

Fast hair
Related to it, you can get a cheap and easy hair-like effect by creating a copy of an object, adding a fine noise pattern to it, creating a smooth shifted morph over one frame and looping it. The antialiasing gives you an almost free extruded hair effect, automatically with lazypoint like dynamic even.

Rabbit ear trick (free and automatic dynamic / secondary motion)
This is my personal favorite of all 3D trickery. You create a bone chain (say for a bunny ear) and create a goal object for each bone. Parent each goal objects to their associated bone. Time shift each goal object by an increasing amount. The result is a bone chain that moves with realistic secondary motion, and you don't have to even think about it. It just happens as you animate the rest of the object. Ideal for rabbit ears, dinosaur tails, dangling ropes, hair guides... It's so good I swoon.

Dinosaur wiggle. Another (almost) free dynamic.
This is my other personal favorite.
As stated by one of the animators on Disney's Dinosaur, it wasn't the muscle simulation or any of that fancy stuff that made there dinosaurs look real, it was the wiggle. And it wasn't the back and forth wiggle, it was the wiggle around the bone axis that was so convincing. This is purely a morphing gag.
Create a set of morph targets of a slight twist around the bone axis, or around the center of your object. Create about 3 or 4 of these staggered down the length of of the object, say down the length of a sauropods neck. In layout, use these morphs anytime there's a significant motion (say the dino moves his head quickly) Stagger the morphs in time by 1 frame for each target down the line. The result is a very impressive and realistic rippling effect. Ideal for dinosaur necks and tails, and midsections.

Explosion compositing
In the old days (babylon 5, Voyager) spaceship explosions in lightwave always got overly bright and blown out because explosion polys were additive. The animators used additive explosions because using the explosion sequence as an alpha channel took too much of the red out of the sequence and made it look cheap. Additive kept all the color of the sequence intact. However, it also caused them to blow out and bloom. This tricked solves both problems.
Use a regular additive explosion poly, then add a second explosion polygon behind it with the same sequence at a miniscule offset, and use an opaque and grayscale version of the explosion sequence, and give it 0 in the diffusion channel, and 0 luminosity, so that it opaquely blocks out what's behind the explosion before the additive version gets added in on top of it.

raw-m
08-03-2014, 08:40 AM
Some crackers there, Dan_Ritchie!

Rabbit Ear trick sounds great. I can follow up until the Time shift comment. Can you expand a little, how are you doing that?

daforum
08-03-2014, 10:27 AM
Some crackers there, Dan_Ritchie!

Rabbit Ear trick sounds great. I can follow up until the Time shift comment. Can you expand a little, how are you doing that?

and also the "fast hair" and "dinosaur wiggle" tricks too. Any chance of any quick video tuts?

djwaterman
08-03-2014, 11:14 AM
I second the rabbit ears.

jeric_synergy
08-03-2014, 11:49 AM
I don't know if it's "Basic" or not, but the ASSIGN FUNCTIONS should be re-examined by everybody, as they offer a great leverage to animators (versus modelers) who must deal with multiple items repeatedly.

They're also the kind of thing that isn't amenable, IMO, to discovery, because the workflow is just not something one would stumble onto.

djwaterman
08-03-2014, 12:07 PM
Care to elaborate where that is and what it does?

jeric_synergy
08-03-2014, 12:21 PM
#mesolazy #slowcoffeeshopwifi, but Chazriker did a great, GREAT video on YouTube detailing the application of the Assign --It's on his channel no doubt. IMO it should be featured on NewTek's/LW3dG's site, because for animators Assign can be super useful.

djwaterman
08-04-2014, 10:28 AM
Thanks, found it, and here's the video;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VevtSJiru64&list=UUXVUG3ZiKGTurAArLRD_b9A

In LW 11.6 you find these menu functions when you are under the Set-up tab. They are down the bottom on the left under Assignments.

jeric_synergy
08-04-2014, 03:59 PM
dj, glad you found it, because later I went looking and couldn't locate it, like a schmuck. Good work!

Kevbarnes
08-07-2014, 11:25 AM
The rabbit ear trick

Rabbit ear trick (free and automatic dynamic / secondary motion)
This is my personal favorite of all 3D trickery. You create a bone chain (say for a bunny ear) and create a goal object for each bone. Parent each goal objects to their associated bone. Time shift each goal object by an increasing amount. The result is a bone chain that moves with realistic secondary motion, and you don't have to even think about it. It just happens as you animate the rest of the object. Ideal for rabbit ears, dinosaur tails, dangling ropes, hair guides... It's so good I swoon.

would you be able to post a scene file showing this little gem

"Time shift each goal"
I had a look at this but still haven't sussed it. - Is it using follower with a delay?

Cheers

Ah - Just found the other thread.

raw-m
08-07-2014, 12:10 PM
He's very kindly done much better than that!
https://vimeo.com/102750086

Dan_Ritchie
08-09-2014, 06:00 PM
working on dynamics for the rabbit ear trick

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10204681060810010&set=vb.1340683023&type=2&theater" (https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10204681060810010&set=vb.1340683023&type=2&theater)

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10204681060810010&set=vb.1340683023&type=2&theater"

Luc_Feri
08-13-2014, 07:24 AM
Simple Terrain workflow for use with instanced trees, rocks etc inside of layout using points for the instance source.

Line Pen additional.

jeric_synergy
08-13-2014, 04:53 PM
Normals are calculated, IIRC, by comparing the 1st, 2nd, and LAST points in a polygon.

If those happen to be colinear, the polygon will not evaluate correctly, even though it is constructed properly and planar.

You can rebuild the polygon, or you can use a script generously provided by evenflcw to rotate the order of the points. Search for 'spin points' on this forum.

Luc_Feri
08-14-2014, 12:10 PM
Sub-D Circle?

After seeing William's excellent quick tutorials the other day, I thought I might add my little friend the Line Pen can indeed be used to tidy up after a boolean drill. Just merge any stray points and 4 swift lines from the Line Pen can give you the perfect circle in quick time.

If you have Chronosculpt do this. Set up your scene in layout and load your.mdd cache files. Make a backup copy of that .mdd cache file. Load the original .mdd cache, the one that has been loaded into layout and bring this into Chronosculpt. Sculpt away, pin some dynamics, maybe tweak an animated characters facial expression. Playback in chronosculpt, does it look OK? Maybe, but quick save the cache file and watch your changes inside layout as you don't need to reload the .mdd cache it plays the new animation automatically!!

jeric_synergy
08-14-2014, 08:35 PM
Damn, LINE PEN seems more and more powerful!!! Really, the dox don't do it justice. So far it can BRIDGE, it can SPLIT, it can DRAW 2PT POLYS.... sheesh!

djwaterman
08-14-2014, 10:02 PM
This is a great thread, thanks for starting it.

Luc_Feri
08-15-2014, 06:50 AM
Damn, LINE PEN seems more and more powerful!!! Really, the dox don't do it justice. So far it can BRIDGE, it can SPLIT, it can DRAW 2PT POLYS.... sheesh!

It is very handy indeed. I think you can get errors the odd time with bridging, but if you try to keep the order of vertex points clockwise when spanning edges, you should be fine. So in the box example picture for the top most bridged polygon, go from left to right and then come back the other way to complete the bridge you should be ok.

I use it a heck of a lot to be honest just to quick slice, bridge some sections or repair.

I love edit edges too for quick stuff, rather than use band saw unless I want many split multiples exact. The first edge loop always splits at 50%, I then create two loop splits either side of this 50% split, loop slide each one of these edges to the correct % value and then delete the 50% edge loop unless needed. By keeping the middle loop means the % value when loop sliding is accurate/even for both sides and then you can discard it very quickly with one click. It is very slick to do and I find is quicker and more interactive doing this than going into the bandsaw pro menu popup.

jeric_synergy
08-15-2014, 09:04 AM
I know I'm always very slow .....to grasp the IMPLICATIONS of a given tool's features.

Since we're always whinging on about silence from LW3dG, I suggest a very quick, <5min, weekly "Tip of the Week" video would assuage many.

The tutorials we get are great, but quite extensive and laborious to create I bet. More frequent, smaller tips would be great.

djwaterman
08-15-2014, 09:53 AM
I love edit edges too for quick stuff, rather than use band saw unless I want many split multiples exact. The first edge loop always splits at 50%, I then create two loop splits either side of this 50% split, loop slide each one of these edges to the correct % value and then delete the 50% edge loop unless needed. By keeping the middle loop means the % value when loop sliding is accurate/even for both sides and then you can discard it very quickly with one click. It is very slick to do and I find is quicker and more interactive doing this than going into the bandsaw pro menu popup.

Just be sure to also delete the points that get left behind on terminating edges when deleting edges.

jeric_synergy
09-29-2014, 12:25 PM
Some users coming from other apps complain about a lack of "soft selection" (Maya) and analogous in other apps.

In Lightwave Modeler, such functionality is addressed by "Falloff" modes in the NUMERIC PANEL*. Most of the Falloff modes are fairly self-explanatory, but at least one is View Mode sensitive, and this requires caution.

If, eg, you make a Ball, select Move and set the Falloff to POLYGON, attempting to use the tool may cause frustration if you are in WIREFRAME VIEW mode. Because LWM can't tell where the surface of a polygon is in wireframe, it will only work (at all) if you hit the very skinny EDGE, which by its nature is going to move a minimum of two polygons. Worse, in wireframe the selection will be "thru" and will select coincident edges on the other side of the mesh.

Short story: you'll probably be most satisfied when using POLYGON FALLOFF when you do so in any viewing mode except Wireframe.

(While TMK no one has done it yet (Erikals?), it should be possible to use AHK to make hotkeys for specific Tools to use specific Falloffs. This is not implemented natively, and would be very Convenient®.)

Be sure to examine the other Falloff modes, they are quite powerful, ESPECIALLY "Weight Map" Falloff, which allows you to customize your Falloff absolutely arbitrarily. Want to TWIST near and far ends of a mesh but not the middle? WEIGHT MAP. Want to TWIST near and far ends of a mesh, but not the middle, in opposite directions???** WEIGHT MAP.

*Noobies: you should always work with the Numeric Panel open-- it makes a bunch of options available. Hit "n" to toggle it.
** you madman!

jeric_synergy
10-07-2014, 08:45 AM
"Apply Morph"...

When used repeatedly, is ADDITIVE-- points move in a vector fashion each time the tool is applied. So you can 'sneak up' on proper point placement.
Can be used on a subset of all points, to copy SECTIONS of a morph to another morph map.
Can be used to repair a base or morph when you find yourself working on the wrong map.

Ryan Roye
11-19-2014, 02:49 PM
Playback Performance Optimization Tip:

Say you have 6 characters in a scene, all of which have rigs, morphs with animation, etc applied to them and want to focus your efforts on just one of them, and none of the other 5 characters are needed at the present time.

What you can do is select the characters, use the "Replace >>> With Null" command (items tab, this command is multi-select aware). While it replaces the characters with a null, it also preserves the morphs and their envelopes so that the characters can be re-loaded back into the scene with the "Replace >>> with object" command without losing any of the keyed motions.

If lots of complex deformation is slowing down your scene, this is one of the ways (of many) you can go about speeding things up to make things workable in quick order.

erikals
11-19-2014, 04:50 PM
heh, that was a nice one http://erikalstad.com/backup/misc.php_files/king.gif

jeric_synergy
11-20-2014, 01:13 AM
#144 -- crying out to be scriptified.... call it "RR_Solo".

Danner
11-20-2014, 02:35 AM
like EF_itemFocus?

http://people.dsv.su.se/~dadu9329/evenflow3d/index.php

Pavlov
11-25-2014, 11:15 AM
copy-paste colors with ease: RMB on source color quare, then Shift + RMB on target color quare.

caustics
11-29-2014, 04:28 AM
One thing I came across right now is the possibility to scale ('h') proportionally and simlutaneouesly in 2 axes when control-dragging the mouse out at almost 45º from the action point. It's a bit tricky and you have to try somewhat for LW detect the gesture ... if you don't start your control-drag at 45º it won't recognize the gesture as such and perform just the one axis sale, depending the direction you control-dragged in.

Since the manual doesn't mention anything of this ... it may be a bug too ... even a welcome one;

A real treasure chest this LW ... isn't it ;-)

Regards.

Edit: forgot to mention to control-drag.

jeric_synergy
11-29-2014, 10:17 AM
More of a warning than a feature:

Pressing "s" while the Surface Editor has the focus does NOT save a file, it creates a preset (which, to be complete, IS saved). Fortunately, this is a very conspicuous event, so you WILL notice it. UNFortunately, this is not something LW users can configure away, it's hardwired.

However, using AHK (AutoHotKey) you can intercept the "s" while the SE has focus, and re-route it to SAVE. Also w/AHK you may substitute some other hotkey to Create Presets.

Lewis
11-29-2014, 10:24 AM
More of a warning than a feature:

Pressing "s" while the Surface Editor has the focus does NOT save a file, it creates a preset (which, to be complete, IS saved).

Not anymore in 2015, it's fixed/corrected there ;) :).

jeric_synergy
11-29-2014, 11:06 AM
Not anymore in 2015, it's fixed/corrected there ;) :).
Yer killin' me, Lewis!!! ;) $$$ --January, just... hold... out... 'til.... January......

Good to hear! What's the default hotkey for Create Preset?

Lewis
11-29-2014, 11:25 AM
Yer killin' me, Lewis!!! ;) $$$ --January, just... hold... out... 'til.... January......

Good to hear! What's the default hotkey for Create Preset?

There is button on surface editor which saves it so shortcut is really not needed (i hit the shortcut by mistake liek 99% of time wantign to save scen einstead preset ;)), especially one which interfere with Saving scene. Also i think F9 is also improved. Now whichever window/panel you are IN (a slog as it's lightave panel OFC) if you hit F9 it renders i.e. no need to click on layout window to start rendering, small change but usefull on daily basis :).

Lot of those workflwo fixes/changes in LW2015, good work LWG3D :).

jeric_synergy
11-29-2014, 11:39 AM
::high-five::* I have SOOOoooooo many inadvertent presets for the same exact reason. Gahd that was annoying.

A preset button is OK, but there should be some provision for hotkey (low low low priority on that one). And, as a registered AHK fanboy, I'll point out that everybody can MAKE a panel-context-sensitive (!!!) for the SE to implement "Create Preset" for themselves. :D

*(In USAian culture, ::high-fives:: denote enthusiastic & sympathetic agreement. ;) )

/pedantry

raw-m
12-03-2014, 03:52 AM
Only found this out today....

In Modeller if you have a Weight Map and you want to add another Weight Map but need to see the first one for reference, do this - goto 8:20:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-k4mDqBli6U#t=501

rdolishny
12-21-2014, 02:35 PM
Point Normal Move

This could be the default for Translate, in fact I remapped [shift][ctrl] T to it.

Any selected points are moved in the direction of the normal as opposed to the direction you slide your mouse (left, right, up, down). This is CRITICAL for sculpting geometry, pushing and pulling points in and out.

The only thing missing is weight falloff, but that doesn't mean it isn't there. I can't find it but this is a great start.

Grazby
12-27-2014, 08:40 PM
These shortcuts and hints are killer!!! Nice one

jeric_synergy
02-12-2015, 10:47 PM
Besides the normal Paste command, there is also a Paste Tool.

The Paste command ( ctrl+v ) will always paste the geometry in exactly the same place it was when it was Copied.

The Paste TOOL allows you to copy geometry from the buffer, and interactively place it with the mouse.

Create some geometry
Select it
hit "ctrl+v" (or in my case, just "v", because I remapped it) to copy the selection into the buffer
find the Paste TOOL in your menus
Invoke the Paste TOOL (i.e. hit the button)
LMB click to see the geometry, drag it around in multiple viewports
RMB click to deposit a copy of the geometry at the current location
LMB click to position more copies, etc....

Here's a small UI downside:
I don't think the Paste Tool is mapped by default into a menu. Unfortunately, (and indescribably stupidly) when you assign the Paste TOOL it shows up on a button as simply "PASTE". Infuriating. Rename it so you know it differs from "Paste", use LMB to place and RMB to paste copies, and go crazy.

spherical
02-13-2015, 04:29 PM
Create some geometry
Select it
hit "ctrl+v" (or in my case, just "v", because I remapped it) to copy the selection into the buffer

That would be ctrl+c, yes?

jeric_synergy
02-13-2015, 05:57 PM
Dammit! Yes.

But, here c=copy and v=paste, no ctrl key required, 'cuz that's the way I set it.

shrox
02-13-2015, 07:55 PM
Falloff can be very useful, and very confusing. It's a plus though.

Snosrap
02-17-2015, 09:47 PM
When using "Load from Scene" double clicking on "Objects", "Light" and "Cameras" will deselect/select all the "Objects", "Light" and "Cameras" respectively.

Waves of light
02-18-2015, 02:29 AM
When using "Load from Scene" double clicking on "Objects", "Light" and "Cameras" will deselect/select all the "Objects", "Light" and "Cameras" respectively.

No way! Nice one.

squarewulf
03-05-2015, 12:33 AM
I've mapped 'U' to 'Select Loop'. Comes in extremely handy when making selections of an arm or pole. You can just select a loop all the way around the grow your selection shift+[.

Also you can select loop of two edges and bridge them to connect two pieces of geometry, doesn't always work but when it does it's awesome.

Also, pancake voxels are badass.

Waves of light
03-05-2015, 02:32 AM
I've mapped 'U' to 'Select Loop'. Comes in extremely handy when making selections of an arm or pole. You can just select a loop all the way around the grow your selection shift+[.

Also you can select loop of two edges and bridge them to connect two pieces of geometry, doesn't always work but when it does it's awesome.

Also, pancake voxels are badass.

If you really want to be clever, you can use AHK (Auto Hot Key) to map the mouse wheel to loop, loop expand and select next loop. But AHK only works on Windows.

Check out the last post in this thread to see how I do it:
http://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?140009-Lightwave-plugin-AHK-Select-Connected

squarewulf
03-12-2015, 02:22 PM
If you really want to be clever, you can use AHK (Auto Hot Key) to map the mouse wheel to loop, loop expand and select next loop. But AHK only works on Windows.

Check out the last post in this thread to see how I do it:
http://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?140009-Lightwave-plugin-AHK-Select-Connected

That looks interesting, i'll have to try this out.

erikals
03-12-2015, 02:50 PM
also check >

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x8uiUnJK8EI

Mastoy
03-23-2015, 05:12 AM
Another tip, I don't know if it has already showed up here :
I do a LOT of texts imported from illustrator files, so I use the Drill tool a LOT, to make the holes in the letters.
I've noticed that the Drill tool can be very slow when using polys with a lot of points, so just before you fire it, TRIPLE all the polys in the background (the ones you use to drill).
The speed increase can trully be amazing, especially if you drill a lot of geomerty.

jeric_synergy
03-23-2015, 11:16 AM
I've noticed that the Drill tool can be very slow when using polys with a lot of points, so just before you fire it, TRIPLE all the polys in the background (the ones you use to drill).
The speed increase can trully be amazing, especially if you drill a lot of geomerty.
!!! If this could be proven to have zero effect on the operation, it should be folded into the tool: that is, the background drilling layer should be copied to a temporary layer, Tripled, DRILLED, and then discarded by the Drill Tool itself.

If it works, that would be some very Low Hanging Fruit indeed. But, is Drill subd sensitive?

magiclight
07-17-2015, 07:24 AM
If you have a scene that renders very slow in one area you can change the number of threads from auto to a higher value then you actually have CPU cores, why it helps ?

Well the image is split up in horizontal segments, one for each core/thread, and if you have for example 4 cores the image is split up in 4 horizontal segments and one thread will render each segment, if for example the last segment takes twice as long time to render as the other 3, the top 3 threads will finish long time before the 4th, and because the last segment is allocated by the 4th thread, the other cannot do anything, so half the render time only one thread is actually doing anything, the other cores are just idle, if you increase the number of "threads" to 8 that image will render much faster because the CPU will be used most of the time.

raw-m
07-20-2015, 01:55 AM
If you have a scene that renders very slow in one area you can change the number of threads from auto to a higher value then you actually have CPU cores, why it helps ?

Well the image is split up in horizontal segments, one for each core/thread, and if you have for example 4 cores the image is split up in 4 horizontal segments and one thread will render each segment, if for example the last segment takes twice as long time to render as the other 3, the top 3 threads will finish long time before the 4th, and because the last segment is allocated by the 4th thread, the other cannot do anything, so half the render time only one thread is actually doing anything, the other cores are just idle, if you increase the number of "threads" to 8 that image will render much faster because the CPU will be used most of the time.

Thanks, I've never heard of this! How did you find that out?

magiclight
07-20-2015, 04:22 PM
It's pretty visible when you render an image where a small part of the image takes much longer time then the rest (reflections or whatever), you will see that only one thread is doing all the work in the end, the other ones are just sitting there doing nothing, so increasing the number of threads should make the "segments" smaller and give better performance, and it does.

jeric_synergy
07-20-2015, 07:00 PM
If the division is HORIZONTAL, in such cases can you get better performance by rendering an image "on its side", so more processors can be brought to bear on the problem area?

I'd think that in general some sort of patchwork would give better generalized performance.

magiclight
07-21-2015, 05:22 AM
It is horizontal and no it will not help, most other renderers use the "buckets" for this, somewhere around 32x32 square areas split up one for each thread, give must better results but even there you can set the bucket size to optimize render times (and memory usage in case of very large print renders).

kadri
07-21-2015, 08:47 AM

Not sure if i understand it correctly.But doesn't the "Perspective Camera" do this automatically already? Do you mean the "Classic camera" ?

magiclight
07-21-2015, 12:21 PM
It has nothing to do with the camera, the renderer will split up the image in x number of horizontal segments (where x is the number of threads you have choosen, or auto) and assign each segment to a thread.

If one segment takes long time to render the others will finish faster and just sit idle the rest of the time, if you assign more "threads" it will split the image in more segments and let more threads work longer time on image so it will/can render faster.

kadri
07-21-2015, 12:55 PM
Sorry but that is not what i see when i use the perspective camera. And that is for years the same so far i know.
I am just curious if i am understanding you correctly and i just tried before posting here.

I used a scene that had a very slow rendering part in the lower part.
When the rendering parts that are fast finished, the lower slow rendering part is sliced with the finished ones.
So when the lower part had 1 thread (1 horizontal part) in the beginning, in the end it gets all the other threads too.
In my example it is sliced to 8 horizontal parts in the end.
All cores are at 100% at all time (except when they begin to the next stage of course).

Have you tested it with the Perspective camera?

magiclight
07-21-2015, 01:57 PM
Don't remember which one I used last time, have to check, maybe it is camera dependent after all, have to check, forget what I said in that case :bangwall:

kadri
07-21-2015, 02:31 PM
It might still be true for the classic camera. I haven't used it since years.

jeric_synergy
07-29-2015, 08:08 PM
Falloff can be very useful, and very confusing. It's a plus though.
Even MORE confusing when it's negative.

jeric_synergy
07-29-2015, 08:15 PM
If you edit the, in my case, "LW11-64.CFG", you have access to all sorts of things you can make the DEFAULT. (IME only a few things can be made Default THRU the program.)

One thing: to set your default render resolution, look for "FrameSize XXX YYY" and change to fit.

Nearby you'll find:

DefaultObjectColor -1
DefaultBoneColor 1
DefaultLightColor 2
DefaultCameraColor 3

Actually, these were all set to -1, but I changed them. Now my camera is blue, the lights green, etc. Play with them to fit your own eyes. My guess is there's 16(?) colors to try, same as you see as options in the Scene Editor.

(Remember LW/LWM overwrites this file whenever it quits, so edits may get obliterated. )

jeric_synergy
08-03-2015, 11:35 AM
Menu Tabs, in Layout at least, can be dragged left/right at any time, to better organize your Menus.

It's considered good practice to leave your default Menus as they are, and ADD entire new tabs to the menus for your own organization. This will lessen any confusion if you have to move between machines.

prometheus
08-06-2015, 01:09 AM
I have mentioned the fill solid tool in some other threads about hidden tools, I did a search in this thread but couldn´t see anyone else mentioning it, so ..the fill solid tool fills ob jects with points, so you can create point cluster for clouds etc.

you have to search for it in the menus, when using it..it will fill your objects with the amount of 100 points for each click, you have to click it each time to fill it increasingly with 100 points each time.

the fill solid tool can also fill simple flat polys, so you can draw areas with the pen tool and make points for vegetation, or large cloud areas, if you draw polys on different heights in the same layer, you can have cloud point clusters at different heights which would be difficult to do with particles alone, you could of course just use particles on those flat areas too, that works fine...but not particles to fill volumes unless adding particles to the point clusters themself after they have been created with the fill solid tool.

raw-m
08-06-2015, 02:22 AM
That Additional drop-down is full of little gems, like Fill Solid!

Also checkout DNA in the same list - instant DNA generator!

prometheus
08-06-2015, 05:36 AM

Yup, knew about that one, but never found it to be useful, it doesn´t help avoiding the ageing of me or help me with my diseases, and doesn´t help create the women I want.:D maybe when I get me one of those advanced 3d printers.

Michael

raw-m
08-06-2015, 05:40 AM
Yup, knew about that one, but never found it to be useful, it doesn´t help avoiding the ageing of me or help me with my diseases, and doesn´t help create the women I want.:D maybe when I get my one of those advanced 3d printers.

But you look so young! :D

jeric_synergy
08-06-2015, 08:38 AM

Now I'm checking out the "Core Tools" category to see if there's anything of use in there.

The DNA tool is quite fun.

prometheus
08-07-2015, 03:15 AM
But you look so young! :D

Yeah..that´s the only way how to go about it, add 44 years to that, turning 50 in october, always shying away from the camera mostly..at that time I had no problems with the cams..might consider putting the real state of me up here..if it might be of value..but I seriously doubt it :) or if I simply will be better off not doing so..will see :) reckon I should do a scan of me first and also add some fiberfx.

That also smoothly transcends back to topic a bit, for those who do not know, copy and paste edges nowadays creates point chains that can be used for fiberfx, just as you nowadays with lightwave 11.6.3 and up also can render spline curves directly without converting to two point polychains, if you use it with fiberfx that is.

prometheus
08-07-2015, 03:24 AM
just popped up.. just like that, the bridge tool, some users might not be aware of that it works as a sort of make hole tool, if you select two polygons different sides of an object, and run it, it will make a bridge hole.

lardbros
08-07-2015, 05:35 AM
Not sure if this has been mentioned here or not, but I posted it on Facebook:

I had been using LW for YEARS until a friend told me this.

The stretch tool 'h' on the keyboard. Can be contrained in THREE ways! Hold 'Ctrl' and LMB and you can constrain it LEFT<-->RIGHT, UP<-->DOWN, but here's the one I never knew of... You can constrain it diagonally too! It can be tricky to get it going, but you get the hang of it and it's REALLy useful!

jeric_synergy
08-07-2015, 08:58 AM
The stretch tool 'h' on the keyboard. Can be contrained in THREE ways! Hold 'Ctrl' and LMB and you can constrain it LEFT<-->RIGHT, UP<-->DOWN, but here's the one I never knew of... You can constrain it diagonally too! It can be tricky to get it going, but you get the hang of it and it's REALLy useful!
So, it kinda shears?

Lewis
08-07-2015, 09:05 AM
So, it kinda shears?

No. It scales in Both Axis at once proportionally.

Kevbarnes
08-07-2015, 12:18 PM
This has been around some time but gets forgotten - so

To get this angular readout displayed in the vieport for object rotations

next time you open Layout, use the following keystrokes - ctrl, alt, shift, F1

jeric_synergy
08-07-2015, 12:38 PM
This has been around some time but gets forgotten - so
To get this angular readout displayed in the vieport for object rotations
next time you open Layout, use the following keystrokes - ctrl, alt, shift, F1
Apparently removed in 2015.2. Too bad, I was happy to see it. FWIW, the alert "Experimental Features enabled" still pops up, but they must have moved on from this particular feature. :cry:

Kevbarnes
08-07-2015, 01:10 PM
Apparently removed in 2015.2.

oh - that's a shame - I rather like this.

I don't have 2015 yet, I'm still on 11.6.3

Thanks for checking it out - anyway

kev

jeric_synergy
08-07-2015, 01:23 PM
With any luck, I'm wrong.

Lewis
08-07-2015, 02:13 PM
With any luck, I'm wrong.

Still visible in my 2015.x

jeric_synergy
08-07-2015, 02:43 PM
Still visible in my 2015.x
Double checked, still not here, 2015.2 Trial. Is there anything else that needs to be turned on?

I've triple checked and it swears "Experimental Features Enabled". :stumped:

spherical
08-07-2015, 03:14 PM
Angular Readout works in 2015.2 here.

jeric_synergy
08-07-2015, 03:38 PM
Spherical, you using the Trial version? (Altho I don't know why that would be different.) It's just "pick rotation", correct?? :confused:

Kevbarnes
08-07-2015, 04:18 PM
Spherical, you using the Trial version? (Altho I don't know why that would be different.) It's just "pick rotation", correct?? :confused:

It only works while you rotate the Gizmo

jeric_synergy
08-07-2015, 05:42 PM
It only works while you rotate the Gizmo
Yeah, it's just not here. Maybe it's my video card.

prometheus
08-08-2015, 08:58 AM
the connect tool is quite versatile, if you select an edge, and run it " l " for connect, it will divide edges in the middle, but this only works with polygonal object edgest, not on copied edges or on the line pen tool.

also if you select a polygon loop and run the connect tool, it will divide it, run it again and it will run even more divisons, so if you have a box..select the front,back and side parts, run the connect tool, and it will sort of act like bandsaw or julienne..but with individual step cuts, just don´t drop the selection after the first division, just hit l continuously and you will be able to divide it uniformly directly.

Michael

jeric_synergy
08-09-2015, 03:26 PM
Hopefully no one has mentioned this (204 posts in, I bet they have), but it's a fav and bears repeating:

If you want to protect a point from being MERGED by the noobie 'they' should never have hired*, make an Endomorph and move the point. Points are only Merged if they meet the Merge routine's parameters both in the BASE and all the Endomorphs.

You only need ONE Endomorph to do this: Name it "Merge Prevention" or something.

This is especially handy when you are adding shiney little bevels to text by copy pasting bevels in place, but need to merge some points and protect others. Saves a lot of point-selection time if your object is noobie-proof.

*or yourself on a bad day.

jeric_synergy
08-09-2015, 10:30 PM
Each viewport in Modeler can be ROTATED around its axis for the user's convenience.

This means that, for instance, the BACK view, which normally has the +Y axis at the top, can be rotated so that the +Y axis might be at the left side of the viewport.

Normally this is only of minimal interest, but today I was working on something and for some reason I just couldn't get comfortable with working on the mesh in the default configuration. By rotating the TOP view 180° I was able to work comfortably.

+++++++++++++++++++++
EDIT: One caveat-- in SYMMETRY MODE you'll have to get used to working on the opposite side of the viewport than what you're used to.

jeric_synergy
08-11-2015, 08:29 PM
If you want to have an image pre-loaded into LWM's Image Editor, like for a Background Image, it must be USED somehow in the object.

The easiest (I guess) way to do this is to make a dummy Surface, and assign the Image to some channel. It can be ANY layer in any channel, so you only need to pick one.

This doesn't save the Image as a Background to a vuport, but at least you don't have to hunt for the damn thing. I usually make a bounding box object for this kind of task, so I can just hit AUTO SIZE in the Background dialog and I'm ready to go. I h8 the way the Background 'config' files are stored to your Config directory rather than the Content Directory, so this avoids cluttering up the ACTUAL Config directory with a project-specific file. (Feature suggestions already filed, but feel free to chime in.)

jeric_synergy
08-13-2015, 12:51 AM
In the VERTEX MAPS panel/window in LWM, you can assign Sketch Color to each map separately.

I'm not sure how much use this would be, except for reminding you WHICH map you are working on in the UV view. Maybe someone with more practice w/UVs can illuminate this feature better.

jeric_synergy
08-13-2015, 02:45 PM
If you REPEATEDLY can't find a feature, command, or tool in the menus, give in and just add the darn thing to your menus in addition to its default place.

There's nothing that says you can't have the same button in multiple menu tabs-- put it where you like it, and more importantly, CAN FIND IT.

Case: to me "FLATTEN" moves points, so it should be in the MODIFY TAB. But there's no reason not to also have it in its default location, in the Details Tab. Even there, however, it's in the POLYGON submenu, but it works on Points to, so I could put it both in the Detail/Points location AND the Detail/Polygons, AND the Modify Tab.

Sure, it's a little redundant, but it's MASSIVELY inefficient to go hunting for the effing thing every time I want to use it.

Snosrap
08-13-2015, 09:28 PM
If you REPEATEDLY can't find a feature, command, or tool in the menus, give in and just add the darn thing to your menus in addition to its default place.

There's nothing that says you can't have the same button in multiple menu tabs-- put it where you like it, and more importantly, CAN FIND IT.

Case: to me "FLATTEN" moves points, so it should be in the MODIFY TAB. But there's no reason not to also have it in its default location, in the Details Tab. Even there, however, it's in the POLYGON submenu, but it works on Points to, so I could put it both in the Detail/Points location AND the Detail/Polygons, AND the Modify Tab.

Sure, it's a little redundant, but it's MASSIVELY inefficient to go hunting for the effing thing every time I want to use it.

Interesting concept and makes good sense. What I have done is add all my commonly used tools that don't have keyboard shortcuts to my control+shift right, left and middle mouse popup buttons. 95% percent of the time I'm in the Create Tab in Modeler and other tools I use often are in my popups. Popups - or whatever they are called - rule! Just about the only buttons I ever press on the interface are create ball, box and disc. Everything else is keyboard shortcut or a popup. For Layout I almost exclusively use the interface buttons with the exception of P,M,S. :)

Snosrap
08-13-2015, 09:32 PM
Double post. For whatever reason this forum stalls @ 11:25 PM EST. :)

jeric_synergy
08-13-2015, 09:55 PM
What I have done is add all my commonly used tools that don't have keyboard shortcuts to my control+shift right, left and middle mouse popup buttons. 95% percent of the time I'm in the Create Tab in Modeler and other tools I use often are in my popups. Popups - or whatever they are called - rule!
I like your idea better than mine because LW/LWM is very cluttered already-- integrating the mouse menus (which I believe is their official name) into one's workflow is a superior tactic.

So, Kind Readers, take yer pick. Or do both.

(Ugh, just took a look at my mouse menus for the first time in a long time-- what a mess. LOAD OBJECT should NOT be top of the list on the LMB, who the heck prioritized these???)

What hotkey did you assign to "Disc"? I keep thinking I need one.... Going with "ALT+c", since I never use Clone in LWM.

spherical
08-14-2015, 12:02 AM
Double post. For whatever reason this forum stalls @ 11:25 PM EST. :)

Yup. Asked about it many times. Happens anywhere between 20:15 and 20:35 PST. Sometimes only for less than 5 minutes. Sometimes for more than 15. when it goes dead, I look up and, sure enough, it's between those times. Go make a sandwich.... I get that there are people in all time zones awake at any given point, but doing this maintenance at a time when it inconveniences the fewest would be the default, I'd think.

Snosrap
08-14-2015, 12:55 PM
I like your idea better than mine because LW/LWM is very cluttered already-- integrating the mouse menus (which I believe is their official name) into one's workflow is a superior tactic.

So, Kind Readers, take yer pick. Or do both.

(Ugh, just took a look at my mouse menus for the first time in a long time-- what a mess. LOAD OBJECT should NOT be top of the list on the LMB, who the heck prioritized these???)

What hotkey did you assign to "Disc"? I keep thinking I need one.... Going with "ALT+c", since I never use Clone in LWM.

The term "Mouse Menus" works for me. :) Another tip with the mouse menus is that you can actually add tooltips to the name. I've used this on several occasions where the tools themselves are not exactly self explanatory in their use. Once I use the tool more and become more accustomed to how it works I simply go in and delete the verbage. On the attached screenshot you can see my most often used tools that either don't have a designated keyboard shortcut or an obscure one I don't use enough to remember. The mouse buttons have the tools setup and categorized by somewhat of what they do. Also you can see my UV workspace that I get by pressing 2 on the keypad. "Map" is one tab across the top that gets used besides "Create". :)

jeric_synergy
08-14-2015, 01:47 PM
The term "Mouse Menus" works for me. :) Another tip with the mouse menus is that you can actually add tooltips to the name.
NICE. And thanks for the presentation.

::look look look:: Heyyyyyyyyyyyyyy, "Cap Hole Tool"??? Wuzzat? ;)

Snosrap
08-14-2015, 02:03 PM
::look look look:: Heyyyyyyyyyyyyyy, "Cap Hole Tool"??? Wuzzat? ;)

That's part of LWCad. LW2015 has it's own Cap Hole Tool under Detail/Polygons/Mesh Repair/Cap Hole. The LWCad version is far more robust and will cap more complex shapes however.

jeric_synergy
08-23-2015, 11:41 AM
First, a big thank you to Ryan Roye for starting this thread, one of the best on the forum IMO.

2ndly: the Scene Editor, or New Scene Editor (NSE) to us old farts, has quite a few tricks one may forget, a review may be helpful. This video by the always-informative Rebel Hill is a good place, possibly the definitive place, to start:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2fLVNumv7RY

jeric_synergy
09-13-2015, 08:58 AM
Every individual Bone and Joint in Layout can have its own, unique Icon Size.

While there is a global "Bone Icon Size" setting in the Preferences/Display/Handles & Icons tab, there is also a percentage multiplier value in the Bone Properties panel(s). This can be set for individual Bones/Joints, or as a group via multi-selecting. The multiplier can go above 100%, so Bone/Joints can be both bigger and smaller than the global setting.

allabulle
09-14-2015, 02:59 AM
Every individual Bone and Joint in Layout can have its own, unique Icon Size.

While there is a global "Bone Icon Size" setting in the Preferences/Display/Handles & Icons tab, there is also a percentage multiplier value in the Bone Properties panel(s). This can be set for individual Bones/Joints, or as a group via multi-selecting. The multiplier can go above 100%, so Bone/Joints can be both bigger and smaller than the global setting.

I didn't know that. That ability can be really handy in many situations. Thanks!

jeric_synergy
09-14-2015, 11:04 AM
I didn't know that. That ability can be really handy in many situations. Thanks!
Yeah, Dodgy clued me in there. He da MAN.

Waves of light
09-22-2015, 11:56 AM
Just found out this today... yep, today after, you know, years of using LW.

Say your client comes back to you and requests changes to certain frames in your animation. It would be nice to be able to tell Layout which frame sequences you would like to re-render, but without having to change the first and last frame number, render, edit start and end frame number, render.... and so on.

Well, if you open up the Render Globals window and inside the General tab, select Arbitrary from the drop down box and then just stick in your frame ranges using the following syntax 1-10,35-55,102-200, hit F10 and leave your PC whilst it renders out the frame ranges.

And apparently this works over LWSN too.

jeric_synergy
09-22-2015, 05:44 PM
Well, if you open up the Render Globals window and inside the General tab, select Arbitrary from the drop down box and then just stick in your frame ranges using the following syntax 1-10,35-55,102-200, hit F10 and leave your PC whilst it renders out the frame ranges.

And apparently this works over LWSN too.
IIRC, you can also specify individual frames, eg: 1-10, 22,24, 35-55, etc...

Should probably double check that before I go off... Yup, works fine (see JPG):

++++++++++++
EDIT for "huh?" moment: There's actually THREE Range Types: Single (Range), Arbitrary (covered above), and "KEYFRAME" (???).

I'm sure the dox cover it, but, it LOOKS like you can select ONE item, and render a frame at every keyframe for a GIVEN channel. Bizarre. I'm sure this made perfect sense for the hour it took to code it.

Anybody ever use this :eyeroll: "feature"?

(cue the passionate defenses....)

Waves of light
09-23-2015, 01:01 AM
Nice one J.

Yes, the third one allows you to do exactly that.

magiclight
09-28-2015, 07:16 AM
This is not really an LW thing, it's for Windows 10, but maybe you all know about it anyway.

The "Quick access" choice in file open/save dialog is nice to use, you can right click any file or directory and select "Pin to quick access" and you will always have that directory or file in the quick access folder when you open or save something in LW, I use it all the time at least (you also get the latest files and folders you used in there).

jeric_synergy
10-03-2015, 12:39 AM
This isn't just "not so obvious", it's totally obscure and anti-intuitive, but it's a great trick, and with a (new???) feature:

If you specify a NEGATIVE width in the Particles/Lines parameter in the EDGES tab of the Object Properties, the particle/line will be rendered as if it had actual width and a radius, in 3D in other words. A positive value just gets you an unshaded line or dot.

ALSO, and I never noticed this before, is it new?, when you go negative, the units change from PIXELS to METERS.

BokadCastle
10-03-2015, 12:57 AM
ALSO, and I never noticed this before, is it new?, when you go negative, the units change from PIXELS to METERS.

Is it new ?

No, we all knew that, numbnuts.

jeric_synergy
10-03-2015, 01:08 AM
OK. :adds to ignore list:

BokadCastle
10-03-2015, 01:19 AM
Gosh...you're sounding like MrWyatt.

- - - Updated - - -

another anti-LightWave fool I crushed.

inkpen3d
10-03-2015, 08:34 AM
This isn't just "not so obvious", it's totally obscure and anti-intuitive, but it's a great trick, and with a (new???) feature:

If you specify a NEGATIVE width in the Particles/Lines parameter in the EDGES tab of the Object Properties, the particle/line will be rendered as if it had actual width and a radius, in 3D in other words. A positive value just gets you an unshaded line or dot.

This was in part as a result of a feature request that I submitted to the LWDG in April 2012 and was incorporated into a subsequent point release of LW11 - up until that stage the negative line width was simply defined in terms of pixels and the rendered line remained a constant pixel width irrespective of the distance of the line from the camera. So, yes, it has been around for some time now.

jeric_synergy
10-11-2015, 04:04 PM
Some of the dialogs in Modeler are amodal, ie they can stick around open and not interfere with work, but it might be non-obvious because they DO auto-close if you hit ENTER, which is a very natural thing to do. EG, this is true of the POINT SELECT SETS dialog.

They will stick around if you hit the UI button 'CREATE', but this sucks because Mice Are SLOW.

However, there is a way to keep them open and use them without taking your hands off the keyboard, you just have to train yourself a bit. The secret is that the NUMPAD ENTER is quite often treated differently than the ENTER on the main keyboard. --To both CREATE a new Selection Set (and other entities) AND keep the dialog on-screen, type the name and use NUMPAD ENTER.

Chris S. (Fez)
10-11-2015, 05:33 PM
--To both CREATE a new Selection Set (and other entities) AND keep the dialog on-screen, type the name and use NUMPAD ENTER.

Great tip. Thanks!

jeric_synergy
10-19-2015, 06:31 PM
I loathe unnecessary mousing about, it seems so slow (and LW3dG ignored my suggestion about vocal command, over a decade ago....).

One thing I find myself needing to do too often is change the color of the backdrop, esp. with VPR, but the whole sequence of clicks is aggravating and fiddly. GAH! :devil:

Here's a tiny LScript that will set your background color to a mid-range blue. It's obvious how it works, so specify your own set of favorite colors, save as LScripts, and add as menu buttons&hotkeys. In layout, 8,9, and ~ are open in the top keyboard row. In my case, I'm using "9", -use whatever key you like.

@warnings
// set background to medium blue
generic
{
CommandInput("BackdropColor 0 0.7490196 0.7490196");
}

Just in case it's not clear, this one changes the background to pure red:

@warnings
// set background to pure red
generic
{
CommandInput("BackdropColor 1 0 0");
}

daforum
10-20-2015, 03:16 AM
Cool, thanks Jeric!
I like your idea of voice commands: "MAKE BACKGROUND BLUE. NO...PALER, PALER!" :)

jeric_synergy
10-20-2015, 09:46 AM
As the mummyman thread demonstrates, some parts of Lightwave are better understood and better known than others.

Here's a nice, clear explanation of ONE of the ways to use FX_Metalink to link deformation/displacements between objects:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b8PXLcFya8g

Thanks to Víctor Galdón for such a clear example.

jeric_synergy
10-20-2015, 08:14 PM
The native "COPY" function cannot copy Edges.

Make a square.
Get into Edge mode.
Select one Edge.
Look in the menus at COPY. It will be ghosted.

So, that kinda blows. Fortunately, there is an easy solution, and it is even native!

In the EDGEPACK collection of plugins, native to LWM, is a function called COPYEDGES. But this is misleading: COPYEDGES will copy Points, Edges, and Polys. So, there's no reason* not to replace COPY with COPYEDGES. I've done that on my copy hotkey so I don't have to worry if I want to copy some Edges. I could do it in my menus too, but I never use my menus to do such a common function so I just haven't got around to it.

*tmk

djwaterman
10-20-2015, 11:49 PM
In the EDGEPACK collection of plugins, native to LWM, is a function called COPYEDGES. But this is misleading: COPYEDGES will copy Points, Edges, and Polys. So, there's no reason* not to replace COPY with COPYEDGES. I've done that on my copy hotkey so I don't have to worry if I want to copy some Edges. I could do it in my menus too, but I never use my menus to do such a common function so I just haven't got around to it.
*tmk

Thanks, forgotten about copy edges, added it to my modeling menu.

jeric_synergy
11-01-2015, 11:30 AM
EVERY time I alter my menus or keys I save a copy out (with a date--I used to think that was important, but hundreds of unused files later, I don't bother so much). In both editors there is a SAVE (and Load) button, use it every time you alter your Menus or your hotkeys.

Why? Because LW will, will, periodically lose its configs, or you will be forced to nuke them yourself. Saving the Menu and Key configs individually is a safety net, otherwise it's a huge PITA to rebuild those menu and key configs. :eek:

jeric_synergy
11-21-2015, 01:05 PM
Swiping this from user/guru JoePoe:

(to fake a 2pt poly using a really skinny triangle), an easy way to get the "triangle" solution with the point in the middle is to run Make Pole.

One caveat: this will generate 2 overlapping polys. UNIFY POLYGONS to eliminate the redundant poly.

Schwyhart
12-03-2015, 04:10 PM
I can never remember what some of the abbreviations mean and a ton of people use them on this forum, sooo...
(Some are pretty general knowledge, but just in case others don't know)
Forum abbreviations used:

LW = Lightwave
NT = Newtek
LW3DG = Lightwave 3D Group (the team behind the software, obviously)
UGE = Unified Geometry Engine
UMS = Unified Mesh System
UI = User Interface
SDK = Software Developer Kit
3P = 3rd Party plugin/developer/software
PBR = Physically Based Rendering
MDD = Motion Designer Document - LightWave’s own motion data cache format

FWIW = For What It's Worth
IMO = In My Opinion
IMHO = In My Honest Opinion
AFAIK = As Far As I Know

There's a ton more, but this will get everyone started.
I can never remember what FWIW means, which is why I thought to do this. Surely, I'm not the only one :)

jeric_synergy
12-03-2015, 04:25 PM
For LW, LWM is critical. There's also:

SE = Surface Editor
GE = Graph Editor
NSE= New Scene Editor
MM = Morph Mixer (rare)
SUBD = subdivision surfaces, aka "meta nurbs"
CC = Catmull/Clark (?), a form of subd (more or less)
WM = weight map (rare)

AFAICT= As Far As I Can Tell (contrast with AFAIK)
TPTB= The Powers That Be
RH= Rebel Hill, guru
RR= Ryan Roye, guru (user name: Chazriker)
RP= Rob Powers, LW3dG President

Schwyhart
12-03-2015, 04:46 PM
For new forum users, this is great information!

BeeVee
12-08-2015, 01:57 AM
I can never remember what FWIW means, which is why I thought to do this. Surely, I'm not the only one :)

FWIW = For What it's Worth, ICYMI ;)

B

SBowie
12-08-2015, 07:03 AM
IMHO = In My Honest OpinionI think the rendition "In My Humble Opinion" is more common, actually. I'd never heard the "honest" variant ... interesting though.

Schwyhart
12-08-2015, 09:51 AM
Well if people actually wrote out everything instead of writing in a short form texting format, then there wouldn't be any misunderstandings...just saying.
Like above...what the heck is "ICYMI" supposed to mean?

I know it's an uphill battle, which is why made this little list :)

BeeVee
12-08-2015, 10:04 AM
what the heck is "ICYMI" supposed to mean?

I picked that one out deliberately :D

In Case You Missed It :)

B

Schwyhart
12-08-2015, 10:33 AM
I think you made that one up :bangwall:

jeric_synergy
12-08-2015, 10:34 AM
Just highlight and RMB-google in your browser.

BeeVee
12-08-2015, 11:13 AM
Yeah, like this:

ICYMI (https://www.dropbox.com/s/5xbahc4q6oo3bvu/ICYMI.gif?dl=0) :)

B

Mastoy
12-10-2015, 01:12 AM
Back on topic :
I just realized you could quickly switch zooming between 100% and 50% in the node editor; just by hiting "q"

jeric_synergy
12-10-2015, 09:48 AM
"q", eh? {SARCASM MODE: 12} Of COURSE it's "q"! What else COULD it POSSIBLY have BEEN? Doesn't "q" just LEAP to mind when one thinks "zoom"?

jfc, WTF? Is it discoverable (iow, listed anywhere in the UI)?

The node editor is a dog's breakfast of inconsistency with the rest of the app. It doesn't even take focus from the vuports. Doesn't use "</>" for zoom, doesn't use "a/A" for "size to all/size to Selected", -inexcusable management oversight.

Snosrap
12-10-2015, 08:01 PM
"q", eh? {SARCASM MODE: 12} Of COURSE it's "q"! What else COULD it POSSIBLY have BEEN? Doesn't "q" just LEAP to mind when one thinks "zoom"?

jfc, WTF? Is it discoverable (iow, listed anywhere in the UI)?

The node editor is a dog's breakfast of inconsistency with the rest of the app. It doesn't even take focus from the vuports. Doesn't use "</>" for zoom, doesn't use "a/A" for "size to all/size to Selected", -inexcusable management oversight.

Quoted for agreement. Really what is wrong with those duffers at NT. :) I thought some of them were actual users of the app.