PDA

View Full Version : Animation Cache stalling render when set to higher than 1 step

hansen
12-12-2013, 03:02 PM
I have run into a problem Rendering out a large architectural walk through scene. The first frame renders fine then stalls completely on the rest of the frames. I have narrowed the problem down to having Animation Cache frame steps at a higher setting than 1. I have tried it with an almost empty scene and the render time for the second frame went from 8 seconds to over two minutes. I am working on three different macs and 1 PC. Same result on all machines. Has anyone else experienced this? Oh also this is no problem in 11.5. Only when in 11.6

JonW
12-13-2013, 03:54 AM
Yes it does that. I don't use it.

If you don't have extremely bright objects in your scene. I do 7 to 8 motion blur passes, Min samples 1, Max samples 6 to 8, Classic, Fixed, AS 0.1 to 0.08, (do not oversample when using Classic & Fixed), & I turn off Cache altogether. Multiplier set at 50%.

Also make sure your building was welded together at some stage so all the points line up. It is a bit tedious but it will solve all the flickering in corners & edges of rooms. & you can get the radiosity bounces down to a 100 - 200 & secondary to 50 or so.

The 8 MB low quality passes average out flickering.

Phil
12-13-2013, 06:55 AM
I've just gone with Monte Carlo, minimum (1 or 2) sample settings, min AA of 2, max AA of 512 and then set adaptive sampling to low values to collect as much of the noise as possible. I got fed up with flickering, etc. and decided the only way to stay sane was to brute force the sucker.

For some reason, though, render times and memory footprint increase over long sequences. I've found it necessary to set the farm to render in LWSN mode III, or LWSN mode II in batches of 50-100 frames or so, to avoid the problem

hansen
12-13-2013, 07:00 AM
Thank you Jon! I will try those settings. Still wonder why the renders take longer (by infinity) in 11.6 with the animation cache set to steps larger than 1? maybe it is just me doing something dumb. Won't be the first time.

Reco
12-13-2013, 12:12 PM
Quote RebelHill from another thread. Hope it can help you.
"Nope... that happens if you DO use cache, but dont LOCK it... causing additional generation and evaluation of new samples. Using the high rays method, no cache... no such occurrence."

Path below
http://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?136299-How-to-get-Flicker-Free-Animated-Cached-GI-with-Dissolving-Objects&highlight=reco

Reco