PDA

View Full Version : The best way to make a banana? Learning the program, still stuck in basics.

Veloci
12-12-2013, 12:16 PM
Long story short, I still suck at Lightwave (The best I can do it make crude, unrefined shapes and add textures to them), and I'm trying to make various fruit to put in a bowl for a scene. Every time I try to make a banana I can't control the polygons well enough to retain the shape I want. They keep over-stretching or bending in multiple directions.

Does anyone have a step-by-step way to build fruit or similar objects?

OnlineRender
12-12-2013, 12:40 PM
you are over thinking it mate... I have the exact same issue "well perhaps not the thinking part" :) start with a cylinder on it's side , stretch it... crease the edges,knife it 3 times then bend it inwards.

not at lw machine ill post later if I can

Kuzey
12-12-2013, 01:22 PM
Also..don't use a lot of polygons..keep it as low and manageable as possible.

hrgiger
12-12-2013, 02:52 PM
Here I made this up, took me about 4 or 5 minutes. I used 186 polygons but you could even get by with less but I added some extra geometry in to tighten up the curves on the banana as they tend to naturally have a faceted shape to their profile, it isn't just a simple disc. I would say if you're using more then a few hundred polygons for a simple object like this, you're using too much. The less you have, the easier it is to work with.

By the way, you may have to rename with attachment with a .lwo for it to open.

nickdigital
12-12-2013, 04:13 PM
Every time I try to make a banana I can't control the polygons well enough to retain the shape I want. They keep over-stretching or bending in multiple directions.

You might also want to check what your Action Center is set to. Having it set to a mode you're not expecting will make working with the tools confusing.

Veloci
12-12-2013, 05:16 PM
Thanks for that sample banana. I can use it as a placeholder while I work on making my own.

pinkmouse
12-12-2013, 05:26 PM
One of the LW10 books has this exact project as a tutorial, making a still life with a bowl of fruit. Can't remember which one, I glanced at it a few years ago on a bookstall at IBC in Amsterdam. Might be worth a search on Amazon, you might well be able to pick up a S/H copy cheap.

chikega
12-12-2013, 08:49 PM
The Banana tutorial is in Dan Ablan's book: http://books.google.com/books?id=iiaoyRNTq0sC&pg=SA8-PA1&lpg=SA8-PA1&dq=modeling+banana+lightwave&source=bl&ots=uuwdSokj3Q&sig=7dOCldPNaTpB2rIwPj6JuJGhb5k&hl=en&sa=X&ei=a4OqUu_QLamh2QWkm4C4DA&ved=0CD8Q6AEwAg#v=onepage&q=modeling%20banana%20lightwave&f=false

If you don't mind electronic format, Google Play is the cheapest at $27.49

Veloci
12-12-2013, 09:38 PM
One of the LW10 books has this exact project as a tutorial, making a still life with a bowl of fruit. Can't remember which one, I glanced at it a few years ago on a bookstall at IBC in Amsterdam. Might be worth a search on Amazon, you might well be able to pick up a S/H copy cheap.

That's actually why I'm doing that project. The book is outdated now though, so I keep running into differences in feature locations or names.

chikega
12-15-2013, 07:38 PM
I went through the tutorial and the only thing that's changed is that the Ctr+B is tied to the new Chamfer tool instead of Edge bevel ... that's the beauty of Lightwave, the last 10+ years of LW tutorials are still applicable. :)

erikals
12-15-2013, 10:14 PM
heh http://erikalstad.com/backup/misc.php_files/smile.gif well, since you ask >

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qYY15zFP0VM

prometheus
12-16-2013, 12:14 AM
There are many ways to go bananas, and donīt worry..cause you will at some point:9

many differen ways to model it, a simple way, just make a box..heigher in height, with a few divisions on the y-lengh/height.
use pole or taper to give it a sligth bulge, then use spline guide in the right window to bend it sligthly, thatīs it...maybe use metaform to give further smoothness...but not to much.

for organic shapes you should look in to spline patching as well, maybe check splinegods tutorials on that, not sure how many are free on his youtube site..but I think there is some.

Michael

prometheus
12-16-2013, 12:21 AM
Here I made this up, took me about 4 or 5 minutes. I used 186 polygons but you could even get by with less but I added some extra geometry in to tighten up the curves on the banana as they tend to naturally have a faceted shape to their profile, it isn't just a simple disc. I would say if you're using more then a few hundred polygons for a simple object like this, you're using too much. The less you have, the easier it is to work with.

By the way, you may have to rename with attachment with a .lwo for it to open.

Yes..that is a nice clean sample of a good banana, with facette sharper profile. how did you add the extra tight geometry? chamfer/edge bevel or some other edge tool?

Michael

hrgiger
12-16-2013, 02:59 AM
Michael, all it is is was a simple disc that I extruded and scaled along the shape of the banana. I left the ends uncapped. Then I ran bandsaw along 4 of the side to add the sharpened sides. Then I ran some of the edges together on either side of the banana and then capped the ends. I left a few tris on the one side but those could easily be converted to quads by making them appear on the same isoparm and running an edge between them.

djwaterman
12-17-2013, 01:47 AM
Ugh! The modelling didn't take long but I spent all day trying to edit, convert and upload this video. Anyway, there are already some good options shown, this is same but different.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=1s5HnETRC2c

hrgiger
12-17-2013, 02:57 AM
Dj, you really should only need a single additional edge along the sides of the 'sharper' angles on the banana. I would use the extra edge along the centers to round it out a bit more. Also, instead of tweaking points on the ends to make them round, just use untangle in the modify menu will make it perfectly round.