PDA

View Full Version : ----> Speed Modelling Challenge #241 - "Signs, Signs, Everywhere a Sign"

Pantagrool
12-11-2013, 01:34 PM
Rules:
1. Every week there will be a subject for you to model along with a time limit. You should spend no longer than the allocated time, then post a render of your model. As in most challenges like this, your honesty on modelling times is essential. How you interpret the brief is up to you as long as the final model conforms to what is asked for.
2. Post a wire-frame and a render at 800x600 or larger.
(For wireframe help go to: http://www.artssphere.com/plugins/polygoncoloring.php)
3. LightWave must be used for modelling. 3rd party Plug-ins are allowed.
4. You can enter as many times as you like, posting each in this thread. If you run over the time, the model can still be posted but won't be subject to the judging.
5. Time spent on texturing, setting up a scene for a render and rendering is not included in the allocated period.
6. The winner is judged by the challenge starter and the prize is to set up the challenge after next week's.

This week's topic: Signs! I see a whole lot of signs to/from work and thought, Hey -- there's a modeling challenge!
I found a great -- sorry, "remarkable" -- collection of pictures of store signs here -- retro, rusty, rustic -- you name it.
http://www.flickr.com/groups/shopsigns/

For (unofficial) extra credit: Turn your username into a sign! How about "Hotel JoePoe," or "XswampyX Everglades Boat Tours," or "Pantagrool's Pancake Parlor"?

Time Limit: 60 min.
Deadline: Wednesday 18th December, 2013 23:59:59 GMT

Enjoy!

JoePoe
12-14-2013, 08:57 AM
I like it!
Soooo, something like....

Joe Poe's Hoes* :hey: ................... garden supplies folks (get your minds out of the gutter :D)

(* poetic license with spelling. Using Urban dictionary)

Maybe I should keep thinking 8~

XswampyX
12-14-2013, 09:55 AM
You could put it on a building and have a 'ho house. :D

http://i465.photobucket.com/albums/rr16/xXswampyXx/XSX_Boat_Tours_Small_zpsde9b351f.jpg (http://s465.photobucket.com/user/xXswampyXx/media/XSX_Boat_Tours_Small_zpsde9b351f.jpg.html)

akaracquel
12-14-2013, 12:41 PM
..you know you've been away for a long time, when you forget the shortcode for this smiley :ohmy:
Dayum, i've missed this. Thank you for the giggles!
:D :thumbsup:

Kryslin
12-15-2013, 06:49 PM
I'm over, but here's what I got.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v636/Kryslin/funstuff/Speed%20modeling%20Challenge%20Renders/th_smc241q85_zpsb100c52e.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/Kryslin/media/funstuff/Speed%20modeling%20Challenge%20Renders/smc241q85_zpsb100c52e.jpg.html)

Variation on an Old cartoon gag. Sorry, JoePoe - my username doesn't make a good business name, but Yours does. :)

And NewTek, FIX UVs FOR SUBDIV SURFACES!

JoePoe
12-16-2013, 09:57 AM
I like it! And, I'm flattered!!

I'm just glad it didn't say "Eat At Joe Poe's Hoes" :o.... (I should be banned ;D 8/)

Pantagrool
12-16-2013, 01:19 PM
Looks like Joe Poe is building a cult following. Sweet!

Nice work there, Kryslin. I'd love to see some close-up shots or wires -- curious as to how you wrangled so many polys.
And awesome render there, XswampyX. Wondering what took a chomp out of that sign ... looks like Cookie Monster is on the loose in the Everglades! :D

C'mon, everybody, let's get some more signage up here! Two more days!

Pantagrool
12-16-2013, 06:35 PM
Quick question: Does the time you take in creating .EPS files that you will then import into Modeler count against your modeling time? I'm thinking 'No,' but just want to verify ...

Kryslin
12-17-2013, 02:14 AM
Pantagrool:

In this case, LWCAD was the tool I used - namely, the pipe tool, and end point snap, with UCS turned off.

I made a reference image of the sign, and used spline draw to make guides for the tubes. Once I had the letters, I used extender (e) to pull out the stand offs for the tubes.

I also set curve resolution to coarse via the options panel, and froze the curves.

I took the pipe tool and followed my guides, letter by letter. Once the tubes were drawn, I knifed in a loop a couple of mm before the end of the tubes, so they'd stay square after applying SubD's. I selected the last 6-7 loops, assigned them a flat texture, and give the rest of them a light preset from the preset's panel.

It was actually trying to UV map things that drove me over the limit. I can get it cleaned up a bit, but wires aren't going to help much, because the tubes are really dense, polygon wise.

JoePoe :

Glad you liked it. :)

JoePoe
12-17-2013, 11:29 AM
Thanks for the breakdown.

....It was actually trying to UV map things that drove me over the limit....

I would think that's part of surfacing and thus free of the time limit.

btw, UV creeper (https://www.lightwave3d.com/assets/plugins/entry/uv_creeper/) is great for UVing stuff like that (if u didn't know about it already :hey:). (Although... ABF in newer versions might make short work of it as well... I don't know ABF)

Kryslin
12-17-2013, 12:08 PM
My problem is actually with how Lightwave handles UV maps on Subdivision surfaces. I've refined it some, at the expense of MORE polygons, but it is looking much nicer. Again, LWCAD and it's ability to cut things up with the line tool is indispensible. I've still got some distortion, and it's not pleasant. Oh, well... time to export to 3DCoat and unwrap it there. :)

ANS
12-17-2013, 03:41 PM
sign somewhere in dark city street...
118747 118749 118748

Slartibartfast
12-18-2013, 01:31 PM

Lame effort, but I thought I'd post something to get this thread a bit more alive again :-). Been quite lately.. And this topic appeared to be doable given the sparse free time before Xmas.

Spent the least amount of time modeling (around 15'), and a lot of time figuring out how to get importable paths from inkscape into lw. Eventualle I saved out the text as .svg and imported into blender, converted to mesh, exported to collada. Then just loading it up in modeler and extrude. The background is just two volumetric spotlights with textures.

Feels good to be back :-)

Cheers

ANS
12-18-2013, 02:02 PM
:bangwall:OMG, Slartibartfast, it's sound like overkill :bangwall: :hat:
Anyway - nice sign! :)

btw- how good business is production of planets ? :)

jeric_synergy
12-18-2013, 02:30 PM
..you know you've been away for a long time, when you forget the shortcode for this smiley :ohmy:
Dayum, i've missed this. Thank you for the giggles!
:D :thumbsup:
She back! Move all done?

jeric_synergy
12-18-2013, 02:33 PM
My problem is actually with how Lightwave handles UV maps on Subdivision surfaces.
What's the issue? that the interpolation of the UV is not the , uhhhhhhhh, same as the spatial? Or something else?

JoePoe
12-18-2013, 08:01 PM
Doubtful that I'll take this further. I'm at 1.5 hrs..... I had to get the second girl in. Was going to be alternating neon.

What up with no wires in posts? ANS... present company excluded.

Wittywop
12-18-2013, 10:52 PM
Great entries so far all.

So i got myself an early christmas gift, LW 11.6 and lwcad. yay!
I am really digging LWCAD, now i just have to learn it all. :)

Here is my old time theater sign.

Kryslin
12-18-2013, 11:16 PM
What's the issue? that the interpolation of the UV is not the , uhhhhhhhh, same as the spatial? Or something else?

Unless you are very, very careful setting up you're geometry, you get some gawd-awful distortion as the points move when you subdivide, but the UV coordinates do not. One can spend quite a bit of time trying various things to make it all work.

Pantagrool
12-19-2013, 09:10 AM
Hey, we got onto a 2nd page with the thread. Wooh-hooh! I am having some major computer problems -- my desktop is turning itself off at random times. The last time (30 minutes ago) was when I was in the middle of a render of a sign for this very thread!

So the time is up. I will post my own late entry and the grand announcement of a winner and critiques this evening (that is, about 10-12 hours from now). Does that mean we can begin the next challenge ... ?

JoePoe
12-19-2013, 06:10 PM
Hoes for sale. Get 'em while they're HOT!!

http://i1049.photobucket.com/albums/s395/joepoe1/J-P-Hoe_zpsf966c010.gif

ANS
12-19-2013, 07:47 PM
New challenge is up&running: http://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?139275-Speed-Modelling-Challenge-242-Alien-Tech&p=1358998#post1358998
Enjoy! :alien:

Pantagrool
12-20-2013, 07:26 AM
Sorry for the delay -- my mind was in the gutter!

Thanks, ANS, for putting up the new challenge.

Here is my own super-late entry. You know that feeling when you're wandering around Tokyo and all you want is some pickles? I wanted something that said "Pantagrool's Pickled Pepper Palace" but came up with "Pantagrool's Daikon [Pickled Radish] Palace."

So what do we have?
XswampyX: Beautiful render, as always. Still wondering what took a chomp out of that sign...
Kryslin: Great riff on an old idea and great execution. I'm going to have to look into this LWCAD thing some day ...
ANS: Wow. An original idea and design, a render, wire-frames, and on time! Nice! Love that you include some environment objects for the sign.
Slartibartfast: Just imagine what would have happened if you had a little more time? Glad you got an entry in, though. Interesting render, too.
JoePoe: Fantastic idea and great render. Gotta tell me how you got that nice glow effect. I'm having a heck of a time getting a good render.
Wittywop: I very much enjoy the classics, and I think you've done a great job, especially considering the time frame!

And the winsome winner is Wittywop!

Slartibartfast
12-20-2013, 10:08 AM
CONGRATS Wittywop!! Nice one!
And thanks Pantagrool for a good challenge and fine words.
ANS: business for planet making is kinda slow nowadays :angel:. At least in this part of the galaxy ;D