PDA

View Full Version : Bones to not distort surface - best practices

Burndog
12-11-2013, 01:12 PM
Hello,
I have a ribbon animating on a spline. How would you control the distortion to created influence in only one direction?

If you look at the screen shot the bones seem to be creating a pucker effect rather than effecting the distortion in only one axis. I can understand that there needs to be some control but not sure how to achieve this.

Would it work best by running two parallel sets of bones on the ribbons length edges?

I've tried Joint Compensation and the other options on the Properties panel for the bones but not seeing any change.

Maybe this is not the best way to animate a ribbon dropping in a breeze?

Thanks for any tips in advance,

Steve

nickdigital
12-11-2013, 01:18 PM
You've tried the different falloff type choices?

RebelHill
12-11-2013, 01:38 PM
A few reasons...

First you've got bones that have pushed back on Z past their initial rest positions, so thats dragging you geo back in places causing those ugly "snags"... second, bone falloff as nick says, ^16 is probs too tight, going looser helps. Third, your mesh density compared to your "bone density" don't make the best bedfellows... either use a LOT more bones in your chain, or (more preferably)... use a lower resolution subD object (and more bones even if you like).

Burndog
12-11-2013, 01:42 PM
Hey Nick,
Yes, Falloff type does change things but even at the lowest setting (^2) it's not a smooth surface...

Burndog
12-11-2013, 01:55 PM
Hi RebelHill,
I can change the Bone Fall off...
I can recreate the model with less ploys and make it a sub-d
"Bones pushed back on their Z past their initial rest positions" That may take a bit of fiddling' to see what this actually means.

Thanks for the help guys!

RebelHill
12-11-2013, 02:08 PM
Look at each bone in your chain, 1 by 1 at frame 0... see how some are pushed back and overlap the tips of their parents, and where they do you've got "bunching" in your mesh.

Burndog
12-12-2013, 03:38 PM
Thanks Rebelhill,
I created new mesh using 20 sections and then used 20 bones and am now seeing better results.