PDA

View Full Version : Hand Rig help needed

Remoc
12-07-2013, 03:17 AM
Hello Lightwavers,

I have a hand model with a wrist bone, five hand bones, and three bones per finger and two for the thumb. With this I can happily pose into anything I need.
The five main poses I use are POINT, FIST, FINGERS TOGETHER FLAT, FINGERS TOGETHER SPREAD and RELAXED. I use follower on the lower two bones of each finger to follow the upper bone's Pitch.
This allows me to curl each finger with only one controller. I have also made a slider for each finger to control the curl. I use a separate null & slider to control the spread of my fingers.
However I need to produce a slider the overides the individual finger controls to curl all the fingers at once. Am I making this too complex, are there any suggestions on how to get from hand pose to pose quickly.

Thanks in advance.
Remoc

bobakabob
12-07-2013, 05:32 AM
Have you tried the Genoma hand rig? There's also a video which demos it if you do a YouTube search.

RebelHill
12-07-2013, 06:43 AM
There's a number of ways to do such things... but however you do it, its all about chaining.

The attached scene uses nodal control (you could also use expressions, constraints, etc) and uses a simple additive method. Its pretty basic, but should start to give you an idea of how you can go about stringing multiple things to different mixes of controls.

Remoc
12-08-2013, 09:13 PM
Hi RebelH,

Thanks for the demo scene, however I have some missing node handler plugins. Do you know which one's I need for this scene?

Remoc

Remoc
12-09-2013, 04:45 AM
I got the scene to load now with LW11.6 ( I updated ).
NICE!! I have worked out how your nodal motion works... this really opens me up to a tidy way off doing what I need. Thankyou.
The only question is, what are the smaller offset bones for? How / or do they effect anything in the nodal motion?

Thanks in advance.
You are a legend.

Remoc
12-09-2013, 05:56 AM
I have applied nodal motion to the fingers ( didn't do the thumb yet ) and added sliders. At this stage I need to set all fingers straight ( 0 degrees ) with their individual control before I can use the master grasp control. ( otherwise the fingers can go beyond their desired limits -90 to 0 degrees )
It also has some pitch limits applied to the control nulls. Is there a way I can set a master limit to the bones so they never go beyond -90 or 0 degrees?

But thanks anyway, because this is working better than what I was using before.

ps. I am using the Nevronmotion genoma rig... which nicely retargets my BVH data from IPI Mocap studio 2. I added some eye bones.

Cheers,
Remoc

RebelHill
12-09-2013, 07:17 AM
The offset bones simply allow you to take manual control at each knuckle within the overall control system, so you have complete control division. You can curl all fingers from a single control, curl each finger from its own single control, and still flex each knuckle individually and all 3 can interact with one another seamlessly with no switching required. Also, since the offsets are the parent items of each related phalanx, they will zero out rotations on those bones, thus, the base pose of the fingers can be bent, and the global controls still work from 0.