PDA

View Full Version : Creation motion trails from Alembic object

bpritchard
12-04-2013, 11:44 AM
Hey all,

I'm trying to create cartoonie motion trails from a sword swipe on an object that we brought in using Alembic. I know i can use inertia or lazy points to do it but once i apply it to the abc controlled object it no longer moves. Is there anything i can use to point constrain a duplicate object of the source that would move w/it so that it gets actual motion?

nickdigital
12-04-2013, 11:47 AM
Maybe use dpkit to attach to a point in the model? Then use that motion to recreate what you need to feed Inertia?

bpritchard
12-04-2013, 12:05 PM
Hey Nickdigital,

Yeah thats what i was thinking.. I can't for the life of me remember which dp function does the attachment. Looking for it currently...

bpritchard
12-04-2013, 01:12 PM
Yea not having any luck. nothing i do seems to make the duplicate object move. I've tried point info, motion info, etc

nickdigital
12-04-2013, 01:24 PM
What was your actual process?

I was thinking that you'd use DPKit to attach a null to a point on your deforming Alembic file. Bake out that motion. Then parent your sword (minus Alembic) applied to that null. The other challenge will be to get the rotation data as well. You could try baking out another null that's baked out based on the tip of the sword, then target your first null to that to get the alignment.

bpritchard
12-04-2013, 02:02 PM
Pretty much that.. although i'm failing to find the right connection bit in DPKit to attach the null to to point. Is it just pointInfo?

nickdigital
12-04-2013, 03:26 PM
Yeah, should be Point Info.