PDA

View Full Version : Modeller Crashes

optikanet
12-04-2013, 11:01 AM
I just bought LightWave 11.6 (an upgrade from 9.6.1).

I wanted to set up the config file for Modeller the way I want it, background colour, position of floating windows etc, so I set up all my preferences then clicked "close" to close modeller and write the config file.

Modeller crashed.

This has happened every time I tried this. This is with no geometry loaded at all, not tried to do anything else, but configure my preferences and close modeller, but every time I click "close" it crashes.

Can anybody help?

I'm running on a Dell Studio 17 laptop with 8 GB RAM in 64 bit on Window 7. I ditched AVG earlier in the year and I am using Avast! Antivirus, and I recently reinstalled my entire laptop, having formatted the partition, so there shouldn't be accumulated errors in Windows anyway (and I regularly clean up windows using Glary Utilities 3).

Kind Regards
Dave

Danner
12-04-2013, 11:24 AM
Have you tried deleting the cfgs? Modeler should create new ones in case something is corrupt. Permission issues and antivirus have been giving people a lot of problems lately with configs.

bobakabob
12-04-2013, 11:31 AM
Has AVG definitely gone? Yes sounds like configs so make sure to delete them once LW and the Hub are closed. Avast should be OK (never had any trouble here) though check permissions for LW, Hub and Modeler.

Waves of light
12-04-2013, 11:39 AM
Can you run Modeler.exe, Layout.exe and Hub.exe all as Administrator too. I've come across instances where config files are not being written because the lead exe/program does not have permission.

This next bit persumes you're on Windows and not MAC, sorry.

Trash all your configs first. Under C:\Users\<yourusername>\.NewTek\Lightwave\11.6

then

In windows 7 you find each .exe and RMB, properties, compatibility tab, privilege level and select Run this program as an administrator.

hrgiger
12-04-2013, 01:01 PM
yeah i would try deleting the configs first thing.

optikanet
12-04-2013, 01:38 PM
I did all that, this is a completely fresh installation.

Kind Regards
Dave

VonBon
12-04-2013, 02:13 PM
Update your Video Drivers

bobakabob
12-04-2013, 02:21 PM
Are you sure the configs aren't still lurking on your system?

optikanet
12-04-2013, 02:31 PM
A couple of months ago I deleted the windows partition on my harddrive and reinstalled everything, including LW9, from scratch. Yesterday I uninstalled LW9, I then went to the installation folder and physically deleted everything that was left. I then went into my "users" folder and found the Newtek folder and ensured it had the .cfg files in it. I deleted them, I then deleted the folder they were in, and I emptied the trash folder afterwards.

I ensured everything was even clean - even removing the shortcuts from the menu - before I installed LW11.6. I opened Layout and dragged the licence file to it to register, then closed and opened again. Closed again, opened Modeller, set up my preferences, tried to close and that's when the crashes started.

Kind Regards
Dave

- - - Updated - - -

Oh, and I ran a windows search for ".cfg", the only lightwave ones I found were the ones I deleted.

Kind Regards
Dave

LW_Will
12-04-2013, 03:27 PM
Try changing your anti-virus to the Microsoft provided Security Essentials. It works really well.

bobakabob
12-04-2013, 03:37 PM
Does Modeler work ok before you try customising it? Do the various presets e.g. production mode cause the crash?
Have you checked administrator settings and graphics card as suggested by Wavesoflight and Vonbon?
Long shot but have you tested the drive for bad sectors? All sorts of bad stuff can happen if they're present.
You might want to try installing the last version of LW 11.5 and see if these problems are persisting.

optikanet
12-05-2013, 05:32 AM
There are no updated video drivers (Mobile Intel 4 Series Express Chipset Family). The drive is regularly checked for bad sectors and there are none. I haven't done anything with "Production Mode" and don't even know what it is. This is my first install of Lightwave 11.6 where previously I had 9.6. Just opening and immediately closing Modeller without doing anything at all causes a crash. Running as administrator makes no difference.

Kind Regards
Dave

Sensei
12-05-2013, 06:29 AM
Each crash report contains valuable data about crash source.
It has literally place of crash (DLL name and offset) and code informing about why this happened.
You have not give us these data, so how can we help you? It's pure guessing..

From mine experience you must have no hub of older LW running parallel to v11. Otherwise there is flood of issues and crashes.
If you run old LW, the best is to open Task Manager and manually shut it down, then run v11.

optikanet
12-05-2013, 06:45 AM
I uninstalled and delwted EVERYTHING, there is no other version of lightwave running.

VonBon
12-05-2013, 09:39 AM
When i first installed LightWave 11.6 it would crash every time i closed it
until i updated the video drivers. (i could still make stuff in the program though)

spherical
12-05-2013, 04:36 PM
There are no updated video drivers (Mobile Intel 4 Series Express Chipset Family). <SNIP> This is my first install of Lightwave 11.6 where previously I had 9.6. Just opening and immediately closing Modeller without doing anything at all causes a crash. Running as administrator makes no difference.

From that, I'm looking at the video as being the issue. LW v9.x could probably handle it but could very well be that new code in 11.6 needs specific code in the video drivers.

I haven't done anything with "Production Mode" and don't even know what it is.

It's a menus preset called "Studio Production Style", found in the Edit Menu Layout panel.

Waves of light
12-06-2013, 02:29 AM
Mobile Intel 4 Series Express Chipset Family - now that rings a bell. I'm sure I have an old laptop that has one of those as it's built in video adapter... I will go and check, because I know there was one that LW wouldn't work on.

optikanet
12-06-2013, 12:09 PM
Each crash report contains valuable data about crash source.
It has literally place of crash (DLL name and offset) and code informing about why this happened.
You have not give us these data, so how can we help you? It's pure guessing..

From mine experience you must have no hub of older LW running parallel to v11. Otherwise there is flood of issues and crashes.
If you run old LW, the best is to open Task Manager and manually shut it down, then run v11.

Where will I find the crash report file?

Waves of light
12-08-2013, 03:46 AM
Ok, don't know if this will help in any way, but I have managed to recreate your problem. My Laptop is a Intel Core2Duo CPU P8400 @2.26Ghz 4GB RAM win 32, Mobile Intel 4 Series Express Chipset Family.

I did my usual install of LW, by running the LW installer.exe as Administrator and then running the resulting Modeler.exe, Layout.exe and Hub.exe as Administrator. Licence Key drag to splash screen worked and on reloading Modeler and Layout I was out of Discovery Mode.

When it comes to changing anything from the default install, this is when I get the crash on exit. So, if I change keyboard shortcuts = crash, menu layouts = crash. But if I change anything on the Display Options Menu (d) or the General Options menu (o) it closes fine.

The other thing I noticed, even though it crashes the configs are still saved (LW11.CFG, LWEXT11.CFG, LWM11.CFG and Extension Cache in C:\Users\Ricky\.NewTek\LightWave\11.6) so when you reboot Modeler it retains your changes.

Can you open Modeler, change nothing and close it without it crashing?

I have 11.5 installed on this machine too and no issues there.

spherical
12-08-2013, 03:30 PM
Looks like a smoking gun to me. As long as the configs are saved, it's more of an annoyance than anything else. Usually don't change keyboard shortcuts or menu layout all that often. If it doesn't crash when setting preferences and/or a normal close, work can progress until the issue is fixed. Fog it... unless, of course, the video chipset isn't listed in the supported hardware for 11.6.

optikanet
12-09-2013, 11:04 AM
Ok, don't know if this will help in any way, but I have managed to recreate your problem. My Laptop is a Intel Core2Duo CPU P8400 @2.26Ghz 4GB RAM win 32, Mobile Intel 4 Series Express Chipset Family.

I did my usual install of LW, by running the LW installer.exe as Administrator and then running the resulting Modeler.exe, Layout.exe and Hub.exe as Administrator. Licence Key drag to splash screen worked and on reloading Modeler and Layout I was out of Discovery Mode.

When it comes to changing anything from the default install, this is when I get the crash on exit. So, if I change keyboard shortcuts = crash, menu layouts = crash. But if I change anything on the Display Options Menu (d) or the General Options menu (o) it closes fine.

The other thing I noticed, even though it crashes the configs are still saved (LW11.CFG, LWEXT11.CFG, LWM11.CFG and Extension Cache in C:\Users\Ricky\.NewTek\LightWave\11.6) so when you reboot Modeler it retains your changes.

Can you open Modeler, change nothing and close it without it crashing?

I have 11.5 installed on this machine too and no issues there.

No, just opening and closing Modeller causes a crash. I didn't make any menu changes per se, I just changed the background colour, set the input device to tablet, resized the window and positioned the Numerical Requester, Statistics and Layers windows along the side of the screen. All changes are lost with each crash.

But I don't need to do any of that.

Just opening Modeller and then closing it again without doing anything causes a crash.

I just uninstalled lightwave, deleted the .Newtek folder from the Users folder, searched (and did not fiind) for any other config files, deleted everything in the installation folder, disconnected from the internet, disabled AVAST! and reinstalled using the disk that they sent me.

This made no difference at all. Still crashing.

Newtek have sent me an email saying:

I have seen issues also with AVAST! you might keep that in mind

Easiest way for "no hub" is to rename HUB.EXE to something else - -like NOHUB.EXE

your other issues sound like plugins not being installed -- so that points back to configs

Thank you for your report.

But they haven't told me anything about how to fix it. If it's the configs then I can only suppose there's a problem with their installer.

Something else. I tried to make a box and a cone, just to see if geometry editing was working and although it seemed that it was, in OpenGL the geometry was all flickery and weird as if there were multiple polygons with different surfaces all piled on top of each other, even though there was actually only a single object in each case.

I don't understand why Newtek Teck Support won't help me. Should I ask for a refund?

Kind Regards
Dave

- - - Updated - - -

It's a standard Dell laptop, if the hardware isn't supported then there's something wrong in my opinion. In any case, if they won't support the hardware then I'll have to ask for a refund because I cannot afford a new computer.

Kind Regards
Dave

optikanet
12-09-2013, 11:09 AM
In their latest email Newtek said:

I don't know on AVAST - most stopped using it --

Try the NOHub.exe rename for hub

For configs :

go here:

C:\Users\YOURUSERNAME\.NewTek\LightWave\11.6\

and delete all 'non folder files'

Thank you for your report.

So they're saying nobody uses AVAST! which is weird because I only installed it because this forum recommended it, other than that they're telling me to do what I've already told them I've done already without any effect.

I'm getting quite angry with them.

This cost me a lot of money I don't really have and it won't work and nobody seems to want to fix it at Newtek.

Please help me.

Kind Regards
Dave

hazmat777
12-09-2013, 11:38 AM
Wish I could help, but I'm on a little netbook lately that could skew results.

As far as NewTek saying most people don't use Avast! maybe they should take a QUICK peek at this...

http://download.cnet.com/windows/

Waves of light
12-09-2013, 11:43 AM
Something else. I tried to make a box and a cone, just to see if geometry editing was working and although it seemed that it was, in OpenGL the geometry was all flickery and weird as if there were multiple polygons with different surfaces all piled on top of each other, even though there was actually only a single object in each case.

Now that is what happened on mine. I had to change the Display options to stop it from happening. In the GL tab - change MultitextureShaders to GLSLShaders and change Buffered(VBO) to Streaming. That should sort out the flickering.

optikanet
12-09-2013, 11:53 AM
Now that is what happened on mine. I had to change the Display options to stop it from happening. In the GL tab - change MultitextureShaders to GLSLShaders and change Buffered(VBO) to Streaming. That should sort out the flickering.

Well it might if I could actually write any config files!!!

I'll bear that in mind for if Modeller starts behaving itself in future. In the meantime NewTek, after I shouted at them a bit by email, have actually started taking the issue seriously and are actually trying to figure out what's going wrong at the moment. I simply cannot believe how perfunctory they were being before!!! Not a good look for a professional company when their tech support doesn't actually bother trying to give support!!!

I love using Lightwave. I upgraded because some of my more complex models started crashing on load and after having a conversation about it on these forums, I decided that upgrading from 9.6 might be my best solution, but this issue makes LW11.6 actually worse!

Seriously not impressed, but thanks for offering help on here guys! Apologies if I'm being stroppy but I am seriously annoyed not only by the fault, whatever it is, but by NewTek's attitude...

Kind Regards
Dave

Waves of light
12-09-2013, 11:58 AM
I know how you feel, but I've never had anything but good service from NT Support. I hope it gets resolved sooner rather than later.

Just on a side note. Is there a download for 11.5 in your download area on Lightwave3D.com - if so, give that one a try. That may help them pinpoint the issue. Also, if you need me to test anything on my Mobile Intel 4 Series Express Chipset laptop, need any settings that I have, just ping me a PM or respond on here.

Ricky.

optikanet
12-09-2013, 12:06 PM
Thank you, that's kind.

Kind Regards
Dave

optikanet
12-10-2013, 05:51 PM
Interesting... I just tried rolling back the video driver to a previous version (I figured... what the hell..).

Modeller is no longer crashing and I have been able to save out config files...

Bizarre, but there you go.

Kind Regards
Dave

Waves of light
12-11-2013, 02:39 AM
Interesting... I just tried rolling back the video driver to a previous version (I figured... what the hell..).

Modeller is no longer crashing and I have been able to save out config files...

Bizarre, but there you go.

Kind Regards
Dave

Excellent. So this would point to the Mobile chipset then, I presume?

Did you manage to get it flicker-free?

Ricky.

optikanet
12-11-2013, 04:38 AM
Excellent. So this would point to the Mobile chipset then, I presume?

Ricky.

I haven't tried that yet, haven't actually tried loading geometry or anything, but at least I can open and close without crashing!!!

A bit unhappy with NewTek's support on this one. They told me they couldn't recreate the problem, and then they just stopped talking to me.

Kind Regards
Dave

Waves of light
12-11-2013, 04:44 AM
I haven't tried that yet, haven't actually tried loading geometry or anything, but at least I can open and close without crashing!!!

A bit unhappy with NewTek's support on this one. They told me they couldn't recreate the problem, and then they just stopped talking to me.

Kind Regards
Dave

It's a difficult one, as it's not like they have an massive test base. A lot the problems, I'm sure, are solved on these forums, from other peoples' experiences, or by raising fozbugs, but that's more software related bugs than hardware specific ones. So many variables can come into play with different setups and PC builds. Then there's the OS side of it to add to the problem. They are never going to catch every single bug.

Just glad it's sorted and you can start to enjoy 11.6!

optikanet
12-12-2013, 06:22 AM

Ricky.

Actually, since rolling back the driver, I haven't had a problem with flicker either.

Kind Regards
Dave

lardbros
12-12-2013, 06:44 AM
Goooood news!!

I wouldn't get too angry with Newtek themselves... Dell's driver support is pretty poor, so I'd probably blame them over anyone else.
My previous Dell laptop had an ATI graphics board and the drivers were so abysmal I was getting crashes using Modeller, and weird artefacts in Layout... tried the official ATI drivers and they were even worse.

Glad you've got it sorted... but despite it being frustrating, please spare a thought for Newtek's teams... they aren't big enough to test every hardware configuration available... and this forum is by far the best place to sound off and ask for help... still the fastest responding forum I've ever used!

Such a brilliant bunch of professionals!!! :D ... and the LightWave3d Group gang do hang around and listen, which is always reassuring!

spfldnet
12-24-2013, 11:30 AM
My 11.6.1 modeler crashes when I create three points, make a polygon and then add a new point.

Skonk
12-24-2013, 11:43 AM
My 11.6.1 modeler crashes when I create three points, make a polygon and then add a new point.

Just tried this on mine and didn't crash.

Added 3 points (+ key), hit P to make a poly, switched to poly mode to check the poly was selected then used Multiply > Add Points to add new points and it worked fine.