PDA

View Full Version : Curve to spline script? Layout

prometheus
12-03-2013, 08:10 PM
I was checking the spline instancing tutorial from Jennifer Hachigian.
Now..I am using the Lightwave11.6 2706 build of lightwave and I rather not update right now, but maybe that is what it takes?
I canīt find the Curve to spline script under setup edit, maybe that was only included in the later builds?

Michael

RebelHill
12-04-2013, 06:07 AM
I forget what build it was introduced in, but it was part way through... and also it had lil bugs that got ironed out in subsequent ones. You really should update to the final release build for all the goodies.

Waves of light
12-04-2013, 07:15 AM
Only recently had the same issue Michael. Even in a fresh install of the latest version on Lightwave3D.com it doesn't appear in the menu, as stated by Jen in the video. You have to add it in manually. Also, you need to make sure you selected 'yes' to the installation of python scripts when you initially installed the final build of 11.6 or you will get error messages saying it can't load .py extensions.

Well, that's at least what happened to me anyway.

BeeVee
12-04-2013, 10:54 AM
2706 is a very old build now and the final of LightWave 11.6 has been out for more than a month. I know it doesn't make sense to change versions mid-project, but to stay with a version that wasn't finished seems a bit dangerous... :)

B

prometheus
12-04-2013, 01:12 PM
Thank you guys.

waves of light, I donīt see jen pointing that out for the actuall plugin, rather that she says it wonīt show show visibly to the user if not set up right in the scene, but thatīs another matter.
or did I miss that part in the video?

yeah I think I have to install it, it has to be done..I was checking through the folders and python scripts, so do you guys now what the script is called so I can search if itīs there and manually
install it?
I did check edit plugins and searched for curve something, but nada, and checked the folders but coulndīt find it either.

Michael

Waves of light
12-04-2013, 01:25 PM
Hi Michael... In the video Jen says "Go to the setup tab, and Edit menu and select Curve to Spline", but in the latest version of 11.6 (with clean configs, it wasn't in that place. I had to manually add it into my menus. Then, when I tried to run it, I got the error message saying 'Could not load (or find - can't remember) C:\Program Files\NewTek\LightWave11.6\support\plugins\scripts \Python\Layout\Generic\Curve_To_Spline.py" but when I went to that folder it was there. I then remembered when I installed 11.6, I didn't click Yes when asked if I wanted to install Python extensions. So I reinstalled the latest version of 11.6, again, but this time clicked yes to the Python scripts. Went into the menu configs, added Curve_To_Spline and ran the routine as per Jen's video and it worked.

Hope that helps.

Ricky.

prometheus
12-04-2013, 01:57 PM
Hi Michael... In the video Jen says "Go to the setup tab, and Edit menu and select Curve to Spline", but in the latest version of 11.6 (with clean configs, it wasn't in that place. I had to manually add it into my menus. Then, when I tried to run it, I got the error message saying 'Could not load (or find - can't remember) C:\Program Files\NewTek\LightWave11.6\support\plugins\scripts \Python\Layout\Generic\Curve_To_Spline.py" but when I went to that folder it was there. I then remembered when I installed 11.6, I didn't click Yes when asked if I wanted to install Python extensions. So I reinstalled the latest version of 11.6, again, but this time clicked yes to the Python scripts. Went into the menu configs, added Curve_To_Spline and ran the routine as per Jen's video and it worked.

Hope that helps.

Ricky.

Thanks..that helped understand that it wasnīt part of the 2706 build, since I donīt find it in that folder, so obviously I will have to install the latest build, will have to go through some things
in terms of plugins setups, then uninstall it, and install a fresh one of the latest build.

Thanks again.
Michael

cove
03-29-2014, 03:13 PM
Hi all.
I to have had an issue with the curve to spline tool.
But now i have the curve to spline tool under Edit menu in Layout and it works.
Heres a summery of what i was advised to do and did.
Reinstalled my LW 11.6.2. [Ensured that the python script extentions button was selected].
Now check that the Curve_To_Spline.py is in Generics. Should be.
C:\Program Files\NewTek\LightWave11.6\support\plugins\scripts \Python\Layout\Generic.
In Layout select load Plugin and choose the Curve_To_Spline.py in Generics.
You should now have a curve to spline tool under the setup/edit menu.
Go into Modeler create a simple curve on the Z axis and save it.
Load curve into Layout, [only the curves bounding box shows]
To show curve proper, select object Properties/Geometries/Add Custom Object/Select Show curve.
Now you select curve to spline tool and you should have a spline.
Hope this all works for you as it did for me.
Most of the credit for this info must go to raw-m who troubled to
Suggest and advise.
Regards. cove.

lightmax7
06-27-2014, 01:00 PM
Hi all.
I to have had an issue with the curve to spline tool.
But now i have the curve to spline tool under Edit menu in Layout and it works.
Heres a summery of what i was advised to do and did.
Reinstalled my LW 11.6.2. [Ensured that the python script extentions button was selected].
Now check that the Curve_To_Spline.py is in Generics. Should be.
C:\Program Files\NewTek\LightWave11.6\support\plugins\scripts \Python\Layout\Generic.
In Layout select load Plugin and choose the Curve_To_Spline.py in Generics.
You should now have a curve to spline tool under the setup/edit menu.
Go into Modeler create a simple curve on the Z axis and save it.
Load curve into Layout, [only the curves bounding box shows]
To show curve proper, select object Properties/Geometries/Add Custom Object/Select Show curve.
Now you select curve to spline tool and you should have a spline.
Hope this all works for you as it did for me.
Most of the credit for this info must go to raw-m who troubled to
Suggest and advise.
Regards. cove.

I have followed these instructions, But I can't get it to work.

It says "Can't load external plugin file... (with it's location)". It is in the generic folder.

I have downloaded 11.6.3. I even loaded the script into the Setup/Edit menu.

What am I doing wrong?