PDA

View Full Version : Fracture bug?

circleofsmoke
12-03-2013, 09:52 AM
Is this a fracture bug?
Ive done a fresh install but using a box and the default fracture produces a shatter pattern that has lots of unattached poys / hols that render out too

Ive been using it for a while without too many hitches but it sort of suddenly started doing this. As I say Ive reinstalled but it still refuses to play. Are there any cache files that should be deleted?

circleofsmoke
12-03-2013, 10:00 AM
heres a screen shot of a chunk118497

Ive subsequently divided the original pillar and then triangulated it too without any improvements
I did a hi rez model of an exploded moon without anything like this problem so something has changed

m.d.
12-03-2013, 10:42 AM
heres a screen shot of a chunk118497

Ive subsequently divided the original pillar and then triangulated it too without any improvements
I did a hi rez model of an exploded moon without anything like this problem so something has changed

LW fracture tool is pretty poor when compared with....well everybody

I have resorted to Realflows fracture for most objects......no unattached poly's no stray points....ever

LW needs to fully develop their advertised features, instead of delivering half working approximations of those features....

VonBon
12-03-2013, 11:10 AM
Subdivide the object

circleofsmoke
12-04-2013, 05:21 AM
Yes that improves the simple box - but how do you know how far to go without raising the poly count through the roof? is their a strategy for sub division and how do remedy the stray poly/points like this?

m.d.
12-04-2013, 08:48 AM
Yes that improves the simple box - but how do you know how far to go without raising the poly count through the roof? is their a strategy for sub division and how do remedy the stray poly/points like this?

Every example of complex geometry I have ever tried fracturing in LW has failed....with tons of stray points and detached paper thin polygons.

I have heard blenders fracture is decent....I can vouch RF and Houdini are solid

LW fracture can do wonders with a sphere however...

dsol
12-04-2013, 10:31 AM
I had the same problem. One thing that seems to help is to use background polys to define the fracture shape rather than points. This seemed to reduce the amount of junk geometry generated.

Fracture definitely needs improving. I'm glad it's there, and it's not *that* bad, but given the lack of 3rd-party plugins for LW that can do this (like that amazing one for 3DSMax whose name escapes me...) it's something that needs sorting out.

- - - Updated - - -

Rob Powers did a good tutorial on shattering a pane of glass, see if you can find it. It covered best-use practices for working with the Fracture tool

m.d.
12-04-2013, 11:02 AM
I think your thinking ray fire for max

Even in robs tutorial...he is deleting stray points, saying no big whup

While this is fine for a thin plane of glass.....if you are fracturing things that have large chunks and they pass by the camera and you see missing polygons, and thin lines of polys so thin that they are too small to be calculated in a bullet sim..
Then it becomes a bit of a problem

I would definitely call this a bug, and it should be treated as such by devs

But yes, I am glad it is there as well.

circleofsmoke
12-05-2013, 09:39 AM
Thanks some good tips there, glad its not just me - its all Ive got so have to work with it - and I'm glad it's there too but i wish it was just a little cleaner - I found LWCAD useful for cleaning up afterwards