PDA

View Full Version : Need Help Please

Tony3d
12-03-2013, 09:43 AM
When I use conform to curve in Layout, why am I getting these breaks in the corners? If you have a better way of doing this sort of thing please let me know. I'm on a Mac so that rope plugin is out. Thanks!

VonBon
12-03-2013, 11:12 AM
If its not animated try doing it in Modeler.

Tony3d
12-03-2013, 11:16 AM
When I use conform to curve in Layout, why am I getting these breaks in the corners? If you have a better way of doing this sort of thing please let me know. I'm on a Mac so that rope plugin is out. Thanks!

How would you be able to do this in modeler? I can't figure out a way with twisted strands.

Ryan Roye
12-03-2013, 11:22 AM
My solution would be this:

1) Make a straight bundle of wires in modeler. Send it to layout, use bones to deform the bundle line into the shape you want.

2) Send the bone-deformed object back into modeler, delete any excess geometry, and wield the two ends together.

Also, this thread should interest you as there was recently a big discussion on wire bundling.

http://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?138526-Wire-Bundle-Along-Path

JoePoe
12-03-2013, 11:35 AM
Px_Bezier (https://www.lightwave3d.com/assets/plugins/entry/px_bezier/) will make very short work of it (in Modeler).

Tony3d
12-03-2013, 11:37 AM

1) Make a straight bundle of wires in modeler. Send it to layout, use bones to deform the bundle line into the shape you want.

2) Send the bone-deformed object back into modeler, delete any excess geometry, and wield the two ends together.

Also, this thread should interest you as there was recently a big discussion on wire bundling.

Good solution! Thanks.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks Joe I'll download it.

JoePoe
12-03-2013, 06:13 PM
and, here are the instructions on how to use it to do (basically) exactly your project. :thumbsup:

Px-Bezier tutorial for twist tubes and loop (and more). (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IVK5q2jVUwc&noredirect=1)

Ma3rk
12-04-2013, 07:14 PM
Well, Harumph!

PX_Bezier doesn't want to play nicely with 11.6 of Modeler. The Extrude and Extend functions won't select. Works fine in 11.5 however.

It's always something...

Waves of light
12-05-2013, 06:12 AM
@Ma3rk: Errmm... it's working here with the latest version of 11.6.

@Tony3d: I'm right in thinking you have LWCAD? You could make a circle (cur), remove three segments to leave edge curve of rectangle, move to a position away from 0,0,0, mirror X and Y, draw line (cur) to connect points of the four curved edges, merge points, highlight all curves, CTRL+Z (merge polys) - that will give you a rectangular path with curve edges. Then use profiler to create your loops?

Ma3rk
12-05-2013, 11:44 PM
@Ma3rk: Errmm... it's working here with the latest version of 11.6.

Oh wow! I tried a couple times (separate modeler sessions) the other day and could not get the extrude or extend functions activate. Just tried a couple minutes ago with 11.6 and now they work. I'm glad but really hate spurious glitches.

Thanks for the verification Tony3d.

... as you were.

M.

Waves of light
12-06-2013, 02:46 AM
I was very busy yesterday, so my quickly typed text may not have been as clear as I would have liked, so here's some pics to go with the explanation above:

118534 118533 118532 118531 118530

JoePoe
12-06-2013, 07:50 AM
....so here's some pics to go with the explanation above:

118534 118533 118532 118531 118530

Hmmm.... I don't have LWcad so I can't experiment, I have to ask.
It seems as though the twists are only happening on the straight sections. Can profiler twist around the corners? And if so, do those twists have to be entered individually? Or can you give the whole loop a unified twist amount?
Also, what happens when you "turn :)" up the number of twists 2 or 3 times (or 7 or 8 for that matter)? Do the tubes flatten out?

Waves of light
12-06-2013, 07:55 AM
JoePoe: You'd have to cut using the Knife tool on LWCADs Knife Tool as many points as you wanted for the turns to occur, before doing the Merge points and Merge Polys sequence. I had a quick play last night and you have to work your way manually down each point and enter a rotation value in 60 degree increments... bit of a pain, but doable. Then the last point is going to be messed up, so it would be a case of cutting out that bit of geometry and then from the final twist, use the Bridge command to marry up the first section.

JoePoe
12-06-2013, 08:00 AM
:) Not to take anything away from LWC (I understand it's power), but...... Ouch. :D

Waves of light
12-06-2013, 08:31 AM
:) Not to take anything away from LWC (I understand it's power), but...... Ouch. :D

Ouch indeed. I may have another play with PX_Bezier, as I'm sure there's a quick modeling method.