PDA

View Full Version : Fonts not appearing: font list in LWM (very) incomplete

jeric_synergy
11-28-2013, 01:55 PM
What's with the missing fonts in Modeler?

MANY fonts that I see in Photoshop are not appearing in LWM. What's up with that? :devil:

Lightwolf
11-28-2013, 08:39 PM
They might be in a format that LW can't parse to create a mesh from.

Cheers,
Mike

BeeVee
11-29-2013, 02:55 AM
LightWave supports Type 1 PostScript fonts and TrueType. It does not support the OpenType format yet, which is used in Windows.

B

prometheus
11-29-2013, 08:11 AM
LightWave supports Type 1 PostScript fonts and TrueType. It does not support the OpenType format yet, which is used in Windows.

B

(yet) sounds promising, once that is fixed..more colors to choose from when painting with our lightwave brushes:)
meanwhile, converting those fonts you want might do...
https://www.google.se/#q=converting+opentype+fonts+to+truetype+fonts

Michael

jeric_synergy
11-29-2013, 08:53 AM
Thanks fellas: is there a straightforward way to determine which fonts are in which format?

And, en passant: Text Tool really should work with all the font types.

prometheus
11-29-2013, 08:59 AM
Thanks fellas: is there a straightforward way to determine which fonts are in which format?

And, en passant: Text Tool really should work with all the font types.

was it pc?
in windows 7 you might want to go to the windows/font folder...and make sure you can see the extension fontname, I think it might be set to off by default, so right click
where you set in the menu where you set name,file etc..and check the show font name.
then you should be able to see if the font is TT for true type..or OTF for open type font.
make sure your windows explorer window is set to view detailed list, and by clicking on that font type name column, you can sort them according to type format.

adobe has itīs adobe font manager, but there is probably a lot free ones too..check this maybe..
http://download.cnet.com/AMP-Font-Viewer/3000-2316_4-10361403.html

Michael

jeric_synergy
11-29-2013, 11:40 AM
Prometheus: not sure about extension, but in the panel there's a "font type" category, which is sortable: types include OpenType, TrueType, and Raster (!). Thanks for the help.

Having just delved into the type support in C4D, I gotta say LW3DG should be embarrassed about the state of type in Modeler. If they expect to compete in the text/mograph market, they got a long road in front of them.

Does this qualify as "low hanging fruit"? IME, one of the first things new users want to do is model and animate some text. But maybe they've already surrendered to the AE+C4DL combo.

prometheus
11-29-2013, 12:00 PM
yes..text creation and animation could be improved..A lot, dynamic text etc, for that we would need better tools in layout, parametric/ editable too.
And ..some of the first thing I did in max was to play around with text, and that was ages ago..but still better than what we have in lightwave today.
so easy to setup in max and align with paths, and later on..ah I need a different font, just go back and change it without destroying the alignment to the path etc.

Michael

jeric_synergy
11-29-2013, 12:59 PM
I would be very set if c4dl exported meshes, but those clever folks at Maxon disabled that for the Lite version. dammit. So I guess I'll have to render in there rather than LW.

It's super-sweet compared to LW, but perhaps only average compared to other 3d modeler/renderers. The NURB capabilities are especially exciting.

prometheus
11-30-2013, 08:44 AM
I would be very set if c4dl exported meshes, but those clever folks at Maxon disabled that for the Lite version. dammit. So I guess I'll have to render in there rather than LW.

It's super-sweet compared to LW, but perhaps only average compared to other 3d modeler/renderers. The NURB capabilities are especially exciting.

how about testing houdini apprentice learning version? if you are doing demo personal work that is, not allowed for commercial work, but otherwise you can use houdini apprentice for free and demo work and it can export obj format, and mdd and I think also obj sequence.

and since houdini is parametric, you can edit at anytime etc, and I also think you can switch text type t o nurbs, I havent worked with text in houdini though so I cant say for sure.
The general feel of houdini is the slowness of it, from boosting it up..very slow..compared to lightwave, starting the renderer is extremly slow before anything really happens and starts to
render..in lightwave it goes of like a rocket I think...and the general learning curve is steep and not as easy to setup for simple things..other than that, extremly powerful.

Michael

prometheus
11-30-2013, 09:10 AM
Just boosted up houdini again, testing some text...seem to have a lot of fonts loaded, have to check the fonts and see if it accept all types, itīs very easy to switch between bezier curves fonts and polys, the bezier type is giving very smooth text curves.

I also tested adding keyframe channel on the font itself, that allowed to add some further keyframes in the scene and simply switch font style(animated) in the animation itself, so that works brilliantly, so this is the power of dynamic text and parametric modeling which we are lacking in Lightwave today.

works nicely too when the render first is initialized (takes a long time for it to do that) but after that with the IPR active it autoupdates the render when I change fonts.
have to try extrusions and changing fonts letter by letter too.

Michael

jeric_synergy
11-30-2013, 01:21 PM
If I'm just using it as an external text/model generator, the parametric aspects are not such a big deal-- I'm still going to have to ping-pong back and forth, just like LWM<>LW.

But, for instance, today the perfect font is, mais certainment, an OpenType font, so I'm hosed (since my C4dL doesn't export).

Time to fire up Blender, *sigh*..... --Feels like a lot of hoops to jump through for some damn text.

BeeVee
12-02-2013, 03:20 AM
If you are only going to use it one-way, why not just make an EPS (v8 or lower) in Illustrator and import that in Modeler?

B

jeric_synergy
12-02-2013, 06:39 PM
If you are only going to use it one-way, why not just make an EPS (v8 or lower) in Illustrator and import that in Modeler?
B
I certainly could, although there's still issues there with auto-drilling and whatnot.
C4D beveling, extursion, and deformation looks really nice, and the full blown installs (versus C4DL) do Export OBJs that would probably (?) look great in LW.

I haven't tried the new-ish CHAMFER on Text in LWM yet. Maybe it solves all the point-crossing issues we've had to fight with for twenty years.

++
Oh, and I'm bad for not RTFMing on this, but is there a GRACEFUL way to stop using the text tool? I usually just click the BOX button, which is embarrasing. :twak:

BeeVee
12-03-2013, 02:26 AM
Don't use the autodrill, you can make a much better judgement on how to cut through and it really only takes a second longer than clicking that button. As for quitting the Text tool, the easiest way is to hit esc and then space/return

B