PDA

View Full Version : Font sampling techniques and/or tools? --finding the perfect font...

jeric_synergy
11-28-2013, 01:39 PM
Hi guys, and Happy Thanksgiving!

So, I got a lotta fonts. Is there any tool that helps one spot likely fonts when one is setting up a text string? Finding just THE right one is a lot of hunting and poking.

Currently, I type the text I want in Photoshop and then just scroll thru all the choices, but frankly that seems dunderheaded.

Some simply app that takes a text string and shows/displays MULTIPLE fonts applied would at least be faster. I just want the name of the font, nothing special.
(edit) Oh, well, if you could MARK and RETAIN likely font candidates, that Would Be Good. So, that's a little special.

Any suggestions?

Thanks, and happy hollandaise. :thumbsup:

+++
OMG, I forgot (again) how horrendous the Lightwave Text 'Tool' (more like 'impediment') is.

JonW
11-28-2013, 02:25 PM
Some genius could write a "font recognition" program where you simply show the program images of the few letters you have to work with.

There goes the billion dollars I could have made!

The LW text tool is...... well...... what can one say without being rude!

jeric_synergy
11-28-2013, 03:00 PM
Very little.

The Text 'Tool' is the poster-child for the neglect LWM has experienced. Feh! :devil:

Kryslin
11-28-2013, 03:35 PM
Some genius could write a "font recognition" program where you simply show the program images of the few letters you have to work with.

There goes the billion dollars I could have made!

There is a website out there - I've used it - that will do photo recognition of a font.

(This - http://www.myfonts.com/WhatTheFont/ - isn't it, but it does the same thing.)

I use GIMP to make a background image of my text and model it by hand. Might take longer, but less painful.