PDA

View Full Version : Anime Studio Pro 9 sale

Davewriter
11-28-2013, 09:29 AM
For any interested... I was sent an email ad saying that Smith Micro was having another of their sales.
This time around it is Studio Pro 9 for $49.00
http://mysmithmicro.com/marcom/eblasts/anime/20131128/index-web.html?hq_e=el&hq_m=1233169&hq_l=1&hq_v=b8c634abcf

I believe that the current release is 9.5 and that the charge a stupidly expensive upgrade, but still... for $49.00

Dodgy
11-28-2013, 06:17 PM
To be fair, there's a decent amount in the upgrade, but it's up to you if it's worth it :)

Davewriter
11-28-2013, 09:08 PM
Oh, but I'm so spoiled...
So used to getting those those point xxx upgrades for free.
It's all your fault Newtek! :)

Okay, so truth to be told, I bought v9 and other than loading it on my computer, I haven't done a dang thing with it. By the time I do, Smithmicro will probably be having a similar deal on 9.5
But THANKS for the heads up!

djwaterman
11-29-2013, 09:32 AM
For anyone serious about branching into 2D animation or adding to their motion graphic abilities, buy it. I've been able to use it in motion graphic type work twice now and I would've turned down those jobs in the past because I wouldn't known how to get them done. It's also a lot of fun. In the right hands it's a really flexible tool, don't be turned off by all the 'Family Guy' style stuff in their demo's either.

jeric_synergy
11-29-2013, 12:04 PM
Man, I'm tempted.... Fifty bucks is not a lot.

Greenlaw
11-30-2013, 08:17 AM
Anime Studio Pro 9.5 is fantastic! I'm currently finishing our third Brudders short using this software. (No, it's not 'B2'--this ASP project is an entirely different short film. I'll get back to 'B2' after this one is done. Originally, 'B2' was supposed to be our first Brudders movie but it got pushed back again because I got too overloaded with work. But I digress...)

FYI, check that the sale is for ASP 9.5 and not 9.0--it probably is for 9.5 because that's the current version, but if it isn't you should be aware that upgrading from 9.0 to 9.5 costs an additional $50. But even if you have to pay for the upgrade, it's still a great deal. 9.5 has a few incredibly useful features that makes upgrading worthwhile.

G.

jeric_synergy
11-30-2013, 01:30 PM
It's ver 9.2.

Which features are you referring to as "incredibly useful"?

Greenlaw
02-25-2014, 02:52 PM
With version Anime Studio 10 just around the corner, I'm resurrecting this thread to show what we created using ASP Pro 9.5.

https://vimeo.com/87465384

Please enjoy 'Scareplane'. If you're curious, I posted some production info here:

http://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?133274-The-Brudders-2-Production-Log-%28Well-sort-of-%29/page13

(And, yes, LightWave was used for a few shots too.) :)

G.

calilifestyle
02-25-2014, 02:58 PM
I just upgraded... but they had a really good deal for me.. Upgrade 9.5 or buy new and get Poser 10 free. ..

Davewriter
02-25-2014, 07:58 PM
Greelaw - Enjoyed mightily!
THANKS for the smile.

Greenlaw
11-30-2014, 02:12 AM
FYI, Anime Studio Pro 10 is on sale at Smith-Micro now for $99 (normally $299).

I've been using 10 for several months on a new production. Workflow is much like 9.5 but many tools have been combined for efficiency and the GUI is more context aware. A lot of things that I previously needed custom scripts installed for are now native in 10. A great new feature is that I can open multiple scenes at once and cut and paste elements/keyframes between scenes--what a HUGE timesaver that's been!

FBF is still a weak point in ASP but it's being addressed by a wonderful user provided script called DKRoot Tools, which gives ASP some Flash like drawing capabilities. And it's free too! (Note: We did a little bit of FBF in 'Scareplane' directly inside Anime Studio 9.5 but it was a pain, so we're avoiding it in our current film. I'm probably going to explore using Toon Boom Animate for FBF elements for ASP in our next 2D short. More on that after we complete our current film.)

Rigging got a lot of improvements too. The new constraints like targets and independent angles really makes CA more accurate and easier to do now. Oh, and you can now add markers with notes on the timeline! Sometimes I really wish Lightwave had that. :)

We're finishing up our latest production using ASP in a couple of week, maybe sooner. Visually, it's a departure from our other work and I think it will surprise viewers who are used to our 'Brudders' stuff. Will let everybody know when it's ready.

G.

Dodgy
11-30-2014, 04:40 AM
I've been using it recently and all the additions to 10 have been great, much more professional than 9's release. I love the coloured bones.

Also, Greenlaw, there are Markers in LW, open the dopetrack to right click and add one at a frame. You can then name the Marker, and when the time slider runs over the marker, its name is displayed in the Status Bar.

Snosrap
11-30-2014, 07:40 AM
A couple questions Greenlaw, first what is FBF? Second question is, I've got a 3D character (See character in question attached.) that I'm getting ready to animate that just has a flat round face and I was thinking ASP would be perfect for creating those facial expressions and lip syncing etc.etc.., so my question is - I've got in my Amazon cart Anime Studio Pro 9.5 for $30, is it worth jumping on this $99 special for v. 10? What specially would make it worth it for what I want to do and yes money is tight. :) Plus I may never use again after this project is done.

jeric_synergy
11-30-2014, 09:59 AM
Also, Greenlaw, there are Markers in LW, open the dopetrack to right click and add one at a frame. You can then name the Marker, and when the time slider runs over the marker, its name is displayed in the Status Bar.
Might want to add that to the
http://forums.newtek.com/showthread.php?139165-Basic-stuff-Lightwave-users-should-know-but-are-not-so-obvious
thread.

Greenlaw
11-30-2014, 11:49 AM

Whaaaaaaa..? :eek:

Thanks for the tip Dodgy. Checking it out now.

G.

Rayek
11-30-2014, 12:27 PM
Just ordered the v10.1 Black Friday version for $99 - that is way less than updating my 9.5 version.

If only for the FBX export it's worth it.

Greenlaw
11-30-2014, 12:49 PM
A couple questions Greenlaw, first what is FBF?

Sorry, FBF = Frame By Frame. ASP allows you to do this but it's really not designed for it. TB Animate, on the other hand is designed for it. The two programs have some overlapping features but I think their strengths may otherwise compliment each other. I'll post more info once I get started on that project next year.

Second question is, I've got a 3D character (See character in question attached.) that I'm getting ready to animate that just has a flat round face and I was thinking ASP would be perfect for creating those facial expressions and lip syncing etc.etc..

Just to be sure I understand, are you wanting to use a 2D animation program to generate an animated texture to map onto the 3D character in Lightwave? If so, yeah, this program should work well for that. It can export .png with an alpha channel. That's essentially how the mouths for 'Happy Box' were done, except I was using Photoshop and Magpie Pro to generate the image sequences. Anime Studio 9.5 should be perfectly fine for this--I don't think ASP 10 has any specific features that will make the task easier or faster, except maybe being able to open multiple documents at once. The tools you will be most interested in are probably Switch Layers (arbitrarily switch between many images in a 'folder', including the option to morph between vector images,) Smart Bones (controls almost anything with a dial or multiple dials--kinda like Cycler/Cyclist), and of course bones (which are surprisingly similar to Lightwave bones.)

If you're only doing a 'one-off' strictly for this purpose, 9.5 should be fine. If you intend to go farther, using ASP to it's fullest, then 10 is the way to go. Keep in mind that there are many other ways to output animated face textures (After Effects, Flash, CrazyTalk, Magpie Pro, Papagayo, etc.) I do like ASP though, and may use it to create animated textures for Lightwave myself someday.

G.

Snosrap
11-30-2014, 03:11 PM
Thanks for your reponses Greenlaw. Yes I want to generate an animated texture map. So 9.5 doesn't have bones or just Smart Bones? And what is the difference? - Thanks!

jeric_synergy
11-30-2014, 03:58 PM
Just ordered the v10.1 Black Friday version for $99 - that is way less than updating my 9.5 version.
I looked high and low on their (SM) website for a 9.n upgrade path, never found it.

My guess: they consider $99 for 10.1 the obvious route.

Thanks for your reponses Greenlaw. Yes I want to generate an animated texture map. So 9.5 doesn't have bones or just Smart Bones? And what is the difference? - Thanks!
9.2 has bones, so I'm sure 9.5 has bones, but maybe not Smart Bones.

Even Photoshop can output an animated sequence.

Dodgy
11-30-2014, 04:38 PM
AS has always been a bone driven animation system. Smart bones are bones which can control other attributes of the file dependent on their rotation. So, for example, they can be used for joint morphs, or controlling face morphs, colour changes, most attributes. 9 had smart bones but 10 adds more features which they can control.

Oedo 808
11-30-2014, 04:52 PM
It's difficult to grasp what AS can export using .fbx, I think it's mainly a case of using image layers as opposed to vector layers, but than I'm not entirely sure how AS works so even when I watch something I'm not sure what exactly is going on.

I was asking in the Black Friday thread, can something animated like this (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PCwPVMEa-Gw&list=UUHxppCl-l0wkGtAUXjcvSIw)be exported out for use in Unity? Or animated similarly.

I saw this vid (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8XZ3S6ZGrsw) on .fbx in Unity but it looks like the rigging inside AS could be more forgiving to work with export.

I was going to download the trial but I'm not thrilled about adding my credit card details just for that.

Rayek
11-30-2014, 07:24 PM
It's difficult to grasp what AS can export using .fbx, I think it's mainly a case of using image layers as opposed to vector layers, but than I'm not entirely sure how AS works so even when I watch something I'm not sure what exactly is going on.

I was asking in the Black Friday thread, can something animated like this (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PCwPVMEa-Gw&list=UUHxppCl-l0wkGtAUXjcvSIw)be exported out for use in Unity? Or animated similarly.

I saw this vid (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8XZ3S6ZGrsw) on .fbx in Unity but it looks like the rigging inside AS could be more forgiving to work with export.

I was going to download the trial but I'm not thrilled about adding my credit card details just for that.

I have been playing with fbx export from AS into Unity for the last hour or so, and the setup in AS for fbx compatible export is very important: a number of features, like point binding, point animation, curvatures, and other similar features are incompatible with fbx.

The good news is that vectors are supported, and will be automatically exported as bitmap textures into Unity. And there is a new fbx preview mode in AS that will display your animation as it would when exported with fbx - that is very useful.

As long as you are just deforming or moving parts, it will work in fbx. The worm example that you referred to, for example, will work - as long as there is no point binding involved.

Oedo 808
11-30-2014, 10:05 PM
Thanks for the info Rayek, I could have quite extensive use for this, I'll probably take a punt and see how it goes.

Rayek
12-01-2014, 01:32 AM
Bit more info: the fbx exporter in AS converts any part of a character to a separate surfaces and image maps, if it is grouped under a bone. Also handy, not just for exporting directly from AS. If required, I could quickly export all the assets from my drawing, and re-rig in Lightwave or Blender.

Greenlaw
12-01-2014, 04:02 AM
Smart Bones are a special class of Action that can use Bones as controllers.

9.2 has bones, so I'm sure 9.5 has bones, but maybe not Smart Bones.
Yes, ASP has had bones forever. I'm not sure 9.2 had Smart Bones but 9.5 definitely had them. We used 9.5's Smart Bones in 'Scareplane' for nearly every scene--probably every one except the handful of Lightwave scenes.

Some examples:

Today I worked on a scene with a pumping mechanical heart. The animation used simple transforms on multiple elements/layers and no bones for deformations, but I used a Smart Bone called 'Pump' to control the pumping action. With this setup, I can easily change the rate of the pumping or loop it continuously by animating/looping only the Smart Bone rotation. The animation only appears in one scene so this setup might sound like overkill but since it had to be timed to a music track, it was totally worth it. Besides, it was super easy to set up using Smart Bones.

Some artists use Smart Bones to drive repeatable animations like walk-cycles or other fairly complex actions like character turns. In our current production, I'm using separate Smart Bones to smoothly turn different parts of my characters from R/F/L views, like a 'Head' Smart Bone to turn the head, 'Body' to turn the body, 'FootL'/'FootR' to turn the feet, etc. The cool thing is, if you use consistent naming and rigs, you can easily cut and paste artwork or animations between characters without breaking these Smart Bones actions. This has been an incredible time saver for me on this production because of the number of characters and variations of characters involved.

But my most common use of Smart Bones is for correcting deformations in character rigs. Kinda like Joint Morph in Lightwave, except Smart Bones is a lot easier to edit and correct shapes with. To do this, create your Smart Bone (named after the joint), bend the joint and move the points to where you want them, and then exit the Smart Bone edit mode. Now, whenever you animate that joint for the character, you get the exact deformation you want from it.

Smart Bones are fantastic! :)

G.

Snosrap
12-01-2014, 06:36 AM
Thanks Greenlaw! I found a lot of You-Tube videos of 9.5 and it looks like it will meet my needs nicely for $30. :)

hhnguyen
12-01-2014, 08:48 AM
Hi Snosrap

Could you give the link for 9.5 for $30? I have AS Pro 9.0 and would like to upgrade to 9.5 for that price. Can't afford $100 for 10 right now

Thanks

Snosrap
12-01-2014, 04:05 PM
Hi Snosrap

Could you give the link for 9.5 for $30? I have AS Pro 9.0 and would like to upgrade to 9.5 for that price. Can't afford $100 for 10 right now

Thanks

Here ya go. http://www.amazon.com/Smith-Micro-Software-Anime-Studio/dp/B00G7WP2R6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1417475052&sr=8-1&keywords=anime+studio+pro

hhnguyen
12-01-2014, 04:10 PM
Thank you

Oedo 808
12-11-2014, 02:09 PM
I don't know much about it, but if anyone had been considering Manga Studio EX 5 (& Clip Studio Paint EX), it's on sale at the moment for $70 (http://my.smithmicro.com/manga-studio-ex-5.html?utm_source=SmithMicro&utm_medium=Email&utm_campaign=ClipStudio&hq_e=el&hq_m=1866051&hq_l=5&hq_v=187113ca08).

Thought perhaps some Anime Studio user might be interested.

Ernest
12-11-2014, 02:26 PM
No discount on the upgrades :(